PDA

View Full Version : Wheel fell off...

FINOCJ
August 2nd, 2021, 10:23 PM
Yup...left front shouldn't look like that...
https://www.beamingpix.com/images/2021/08/02/IMG_20210802_215411.jpg

The old cj still runs closed knuckles on the front axle...might be a bit difficult to explain what happened without details about closed knuckles, but in short, the bolts that hold the spindle to the knuckle pulled out of the knuckle stripping out the female threads. The obvious solution would be to just bolt through the knuckle and nut the backside, but closed knuckles don't have clearance on the backside...the outer knuckle sphere has to spin smoothly over the inner sphere...the bolts must be flush. But...if you remove the axle shaft and the ujoint that fits inside the knuckle sphere, you can get just enough access to get 3 or 4 bolts through and nutted off. Steering is somewhat limited as the bolts don't allow the spheres to slide over one another, but at least the spindle and hub can hold weight and roll... limped back in 2wd with the axle shaft riding shotgun.
https://www.beamingpix.com/images/2021/08/02/IMG_20210802_215420.jpg

Jim
August 2nd, 2021, 10:44 PM
BUMMER !!!

Nice work on the trail fix. How long did the trail fix take?

The StRanger
August 2nd, 2021, 11:08 PM
Damn

FINOCJ
August 2nd, 2021, 11:09 PM
1.5-2hrs....then Scott's ignition system failed...I loaned him a plug and play distributor and coil that seemed to solve his issues....a lot of trailside repair today. Hoping I can track down some parts Tues and campground repair to get back on trail wed...wed is holy cross day. We'll see...51 year old parts aren't easy to get on short notice.

speedkills
August 2nd, 2021, 11:11 PM
Sorry to see that but well handled as always James.

Jackie
August 3rd, 2021, 05:26 AM
Damn! At least it happened while you were OFF road (and with a friend). Anywhere in town (I-70 :eek:)could have been a lot worse! Glad to hear you both made it back home without further issue :thumb:

Java
August 3rd, 2021, 12:14 PM
Hope you get it straight in time for Holy Cross! On the plus side your new softtop looks great.

FINOCJ
August 3rd, 2021, 07:05 PM
We'll tried to arrange for a connection that parts and sells early cj5 parts near Montrose to bring a replacement knuckle...he was planning on joining the group for a couple runs later this week... unfortunately when he got here this afternoon, turned out it was a passenger side and I need driver side...so I think my week of wheeling ended already.... hopefully I can flat tow it home from Leadville without the wheel falling off.