PDA

View Full Version : Jeep nightmare

RockyMtRebel
October 22nd, 2021, 09:13 AM
So, on the way from Colorado to California my new green Jeep started having problems (again). No CEL or breakdown but it was clear to me something just isn’t right. I made an appt for a dealership around here and brought it in and they checked and said no codes so they couldn’t do anything, and if there was it would be at least two weeks before they could even look at it and then parts are back ordered everywhere so basically I’d be SOL.
So I went to the lot and found a brand new Rubicon Xtreme Recon in white with black hard top and upgraded tech compared to mine. For giggles I asked what they would give me on trade and to my surprise, with 12000 miles, they offered me the same that I paid new. Granted I put a lift, winch, wheels and tires but it was enough to convince me to trade this beautiful green Jeep in. I mostly did it to dump it before it broke down again and left me with no vehicle and having to scramble to figure it out. The cool thing is the Xtreme Recon comes from factory with lift and 35’s on beadlock capable wheels and 4.56 gears. I will now need to shop for a new front bumper and winch, but at least I have a new and reliable Jeep again! This one runs on gas instead of diesel and DEF. It’s kind of bittersweet for sure….

open_circuit
October 22nd, 2021, 09:14 AM
Nice. You've owned more jeeps in 4 years than I've bought pairs of shoes. Keep letting me live vicariously!

RockyMtRebel
October 22nd, 2021, 09:23 AM
Haha, probably more Jeep’s than shoes for me also! This one was hard though because it was my dream build but was turning out to be a real lemon. Yes I could have let the warranty cover repairs but my gutt feeling was telling me to just get rid of it before it leaves me stranded hundreds of miles from civilization without service 😒

TyTheJeepGuy
October 22nd, 2021, 09:52 AM
That Recon is sick. Pretty sweet that it comes with that axle gear ratio.

TyTheJeepGuy
October 22nd, 2021, 10:21 AM
Does it have the v6 or the Alfa Romeo engine? ;)

RockyMtRebel
October 22nd, 2021, 10:35 AM
It has the 3.6 V6 gas engine

speedkills
October 22nd, 2021, 10:42 AM
That's tough but I bet it was the right call. Sometimes you just get a bad one and each time thinking "this is the last thing to fix" gets real old.

TyTheJeepGuy
October 22nd, 2021, 01:50 PM
I think you'll have a better experience with this one. Too bad the diesel was a lemon :( As you know I have the 4 banger turbo that is a super complex drivetrain so the pentastar w/ variable valve timing should be simpler so more reliable and a fun ride. The 8 speed transmission makes any engine feel super zippy

jayson44
October 22nd, 2021, 02:49 PM
nice! that package is sick! they had to do that to compete with the Bronco Sasquatch package, and I'm not mad about it, haha!

J.

Java
October 22nd, 2021, 05:24 PM
I'm having trouble feeling sorry for you. I like the new one better. :thumb:

Jim
October 22nd, 2021, 06:28 PM
I mostly did it to dump it before it broke down again and left me with no vehicle and having to scramble to figure it out. The cool thing is the Xtreme Recon comes from factory with lift and 35’s on beadlock capable wheels and 4.56 gears.

A bit of an eye opener - good you don't have to deal with its issues.

Schmitty
November 11th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Man, that sucks. Did you get the v6 mild-hybrid or stick with the simple gasser?