PDA

View Full Version : "off road" campers/trailers

DaveO
November 2nd, 2021, 08:12 PM
Who else drags a trailer up trails for camping?
We have drug our Black Series Patron up and around quite a few places in CO (Pickle Gulch is the "hardest" trail, but plenty of other tight places that required multi-point turns on inclines) the problem is it is a HEAVY trailer (3680 empty), takes 30 minutes to setup. I am thinking of going to a lighter "teardrop-ish" trailer.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Our sticking point is that we have a couple big (90lb) dogs that need to have some sleeping room with the two of us - so that is one of my problem areas with most teardrops.
I've been looking at - High Altitude (size is the biggest drawback), Overkill campers (I like their slide-out but can't get a call back from them), Hiker has a 10' one that could work but I get caught up on wood construction and how well it will hold up going on rough/bouncy trails...
pic for attention:https://photos.app.goo.gl/p4pmtbJrZHUcCSMh8

open_circuit
November 3rd, 2021, 06:51 AM
I have a small teardrop trailer, around 2200 lb wet and packed. Haven't pulled up something as hard as pickle gulch yet. Bought it because I wanted something I could park in the garage and that I can take deep into the trails to find good camping. It is a custom homebuilt trailer. I strongly considered Hiker trailers, but lead times were crazy with 2020 demand. Also shopped the intech flyer series and think they would be a very good choice with kids/dogs.

DaveO
November 3rd, 2021, 08:12 AM
I forgot about inTech. Thanks!

open_circuit
November 3rd, 2021, 08:22 AM
I forgot about inTech. Thanks!

All-aluminum construction and the bigger units have tip-out beds. You can sleep 4-6 people in the biggest ones with the tip outs. I think they are pretty good value for the money given what else is on the market.

newracer
November 3rd, 2021, 09:42 AM
A friend of mine has a Boreas XT and it is very nice and built specifically for off-road. They are pricey but hold their value well. They have an attached screen room which gives them additional space, especially for dogs.

https://boreascampers.com/boreas-xt/

Java
November 6th, 2021, 08:39 PM
two of my neighbors have these, they are really cool. https://www.opuscamper.us/

RockyMtRebel
November 15th, 2021, 07:58 AM
I have a Mission Overland off-road trailer, made in Canada. Only have had it since January and just a few trips with it but it’s pretty sweet.

speedkills
November 15th, 2021, 10:14 PM
Two of my neighbors have the A-Line (or is it A-Frame?) pop up off-road trailers and complain they don’t hold up well to even washboard roads.

DaveO
November 16th, 2021, 07:41 AM
Yep - a friend had an Aliner - after the first year he had trouble with the tops staying square when putting it up and that was just from Forest Service roads. We had to shim the body 1/4" to 1/2" on one side to get it back working correctly, he sold it to his neighbor that goes to regular campgrounds and it is working great for them.

I think I am going with a High Altitude Trailers XT50.
It clicks most of the boxes and is made local.

Two of my neighbors have the A-Line (or is it A-Frame?) pop up off-road trailers and complain they don’t hold up well to even washboard roads.