PDA

View Full Version : 7/2/2022 Halfmoon Creek

Mad Maxx
July 2nd, 2022, 07:44 PM
After waiting for the others RSVPs at the meeting point for 25 minutes with no success, Hugh and I decided to head on to the trail.

Lots of traffic was encountered among the early part of the trail, with cars overflowing around the trailheads for the 14'ers. This dissipated further up the trail as the difficulty increased.

We headed towards the mill but were stopped by a gate - from there we hiked.

Along the way out we made a detour towards the Iron Mike obstacle at the waterfall before turning around, then at one point my CB antenna snagged on a branch and flung out of its mount, never to be seen again.

Overall it was a very scenic drive with clear enough weather with just intermittent sprinkling rain.

We decided to skip TIncup and to explore a little more around Leadville instead.

Once back down to pavement, we decided to check out the fish hatchery before proceeding to explore an area which shows as "Colorado Gulch" and "Powerline" on Google Maps. However, this quickly turned into a shelf road and we turned around.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/F3As2dn

JandDGreens
July 12th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Was the river crossing to deep too cross? Really that side of Half-moon creek is very special. At least it is to me it is. I was hoping to get up there this fall to camp and hike Mnt. Elbert, still might. Glad you had a good trip.

Mad Maxx
July 12th, 2022, 05:49 PM
The crossings were fine. It was beautiful indeed.