PDA

View Full Version : Black bear pass July 8th 2022 SOLO

JLWILLYS21
July 8th, 2022, 05:14 PM
I have to admit I was a little nervous going over this road alone. Fortunately I read enough comments about people in Outbacks and the same JLU as mine that I had no problem getting started. There was another couple that was right behind me, and even though they were in a built up Jeep, they fell behind when we got to the harder sections.

There were only three times where I had to get out and pick a line. The last two hardest switchbacks were fairly easy and I didn't have to get out of the Jeep for those. This was a surprisingly easy trail.

All trails and other apps have this trail listed as anywhere from 5 to 12 hours. I started at 9: 32am and was airing up my tires and telluride at 11:07am. That included about 20 stops for photos.

Overall it was an awesome time and since it's so fast I might run it again tomorrow then come back the other way through Ophir.

I will produce and post a link to a video with my entire 4-day trip when I get back.

Steve-O
July 10th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Awesome! I'm interested in doing this one at some point so appreciate the info. Glad you had a good time

JLWILLYS21
July 10th, 2022, 10:02 PM
I'm planning a shorter trip up there at the beginning of September to photograph the aspen trees. Since it's such a short drive, I plan on doing it again.

JandDGreens
July 12th, 2022, 08:08 AM
Nice! Looking forward to your video, this area is my most favorite to go too! Was headed that way when my rig decided to have problems. So had to turn back. Maybe next year we will schedule another trip down that way.

JLWILLYS21
July 15th, 2022, 01:25 PM
Video; https://youtu.be/EVwu4gLiId8

Steve-O
July 15th, 2022, 04:19 PM
I'm fairly certain the one switchback you identified as the "scariest part" is where that dude had the rollover in that famous YouTube video 😵 his problem was he tried to swing out wide before his first turn, his front driver wheel went too uphill and he was done-zo. Which you of course did not do and took your time wiggling around the turn. Great job and great video editing skills!