PDA

View Full Version : Tire repair

FINOCJ
July 13th, 2022, 10:49 PM
Whaddya think...too far down into the sidewall for a shop to want to patch? Worth trying a plug?
https://www.beamingpix.com/images/2022/07/13/PXL_20220713_225602072.jpg

Jim
July 13th, 2022, 11:08 PM
On the fence. This is for your typically slower speed and trails CJ-5 and not a full speed highway vehicle? If the CJ, I think I'd plug it and monitor. EDIT: If you can patch it, that would seem preferred.

Tom
July 14th, 2022, 06:53 AM
Shop would likely do a hot patch rather than a plug. Had one done much further down the side, but I told them I would only use it as a spare.

FINOCJ
July 14th, 2022, 04:51 PM
Shop would likely do a hot patch rather than a plug. Had one done much further down the side, but I told them I would only use it as a spare.

This is what I wanted to do, but most shops would not touch it as its deemed sidewall....plugging it from the oustide was just my fallback option that I would do if no-one would patch it. On the recommendation of a jeep connection here, I went to a shop over in Belgrade, and after some discussion (how many people does it take standing around a tire to determine if you can patch it?) they decided to give it a try. I walked out with the tire patched-up 20 min later....he didn't even charge me, just ask that I leave a good review online. I don't think they want any official record that I paid for their service, so there is no liability or responsibility tied to them. I told them I wouldn't hold a failure against them in any way - just looking for someone to give it a shot. Heck, i have enough various rubber repair work with my raft that I would have given it a shot myself if I could more easily rim and de-rim the tire. So, anyway, hopefully it holds for the next year or so....probably going to replace all 4 next summer - especially if rubicon trip happens. Just trying to get it ready for Leadville in 2 weeks.

Jim
July 14th, 2022, 04:57 PM
I would have given it a shot myself if I could more easily rim and de-rim the tire

Do you have two tire-irons? I fully dismounted / remounted my set of tires in the garage (removing dynamic balance beads). It was surprisingly easy. (35x12.5x15)

FINOCJ
July 14th, 2022, 05:12 PM
Do you have two tire-irons? I fully dismounted / remounted my set of tires in the garage (removing dynamic balance beads). It was surprisingly easy. (35x12.5x15)

Yes - but I don't trust doing it on the mag/aluminum rims. I don't want to eff them up - or at least I'd rather eff them up on the rocks on the trail than in my garage. The tire shop immediately asked if it was off a 'rock crawler' given all the rock rash on the rims.

Tom
July 14th, 2022, 05:55 PM
This is what I wanted to do, but most shops would not touch it as its deemed sidewall....plugging it from the oustide was just my fallback option that I would do if no-one would patch it. On the recommendation of a jeep connection here, I went to a shop over in Belgrade, and after some discussion (how many people does it take standing around a tire to determine if you can patch it?) they decided to give it a try. I walked out with the tire patched-up 20 min later....he didn't even charge me, just ask that I leave a good review online. I don't think they want any official record that I paid for their service, so there is no liability or responsibility tied to them. I told them I wouldn't hold a failure against them in any way - just looking for someone to give it a shot. Heck, i have enough various rubber repair work with my raft that I would have given it a shot myself if I could more easily rim and de-rim the tire. So, anyway, hopefully it holds for the next year or so....probably going to replace all 4 next summer - especially if rubicon trip happens. Just trying to get it ready for Leadville in 2 weeks.
Glad they fixed them for you. When I said I lived in the Bozeman area years ago, I actually owned my first home in Belgrade. Quaint little town.

xaza
July 14th, 2022, 08:29 PM
Glad you found someone to get er done. tire irons have an edge to them that can rip the tire, in a pinch they work but not recommended. I have a set of spoons and a manual style bead breaker (I think it is homemade) if in the future someone needs to use. Not fancy enough to have a tire balance machine though.

newracer
July 15th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Another source for this type of repair is heavy equipment shops. They typically will repair it without question if you tell them it is an off road rig.