PDA

View Full Version : Utah OHV Course

Java
February 28th, 2023, 09:46 PM
I don't have an OHV but I'm going to take this anyway just to have it. It's free and probably interesting...

https://recreation.utah.gov/off-highway-vehicles/?fbclid=IwAR2aFhvRG77uRUWCyx2_jjBzXknjnOcJK_Ngjv8e VpDXJWnz5sLuRpEKH9A

newracer
March 1st, 2023, 08:48 AM
Personally I think everyone should take it. I also think Colorado should implement the same.

hiimmike
March 1st, 2023, 11:58 AM
I think they should just ban SxS from trails. Let them play in an off-road park. They like to haul ass at 200 mph and tear up the trails and play little race car driver. Many of them feel they always have the right of way.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get the appeal. I'd have tons of fun myself racing one of those things all over. However, I would probably only do it in an off-road park. If you're going to tear up trails in a SxS, be a part of a group that does trail repairs and fix what you messed up. If you're tearing up trails at an off-road park, you're already paying to get into it and that money goes towards maintenance. My 2cents worth.

Tom
March 1st, 2023, 03:26 PM
I don't have an OHV but I'm going to take this anyway just to have it. It's free and probably interesting...

https://recreation.utah.gov/off-highway-vehicles/?fbclid=IwAR2aFhvRG77uRUWCyx2_jjBzXknjnOcJK_Ngjv8e VpDXJWnz5sLuRpEKH9AThanks. Took it.

hiimmike
March 1st, 2023, 03:53 PM

I don't think you need an "OHV" but you're required to take it even if you have a street legal vehicle and hit trails in UT. I base that statement on my interpretation of this:

Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Education Course

Beginning January 1, 2023, Utah will require all off-highway vehicle operators to complete the Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Education Course. Completion of this 'once-in-a-lifetime' course is required under Utah Code 41-22-31(1)(B) in order for you to operate an off-highway vehicle or street legal off-highway vehicle in Utah.

Jim
March 1st, 2023, 06:01 PM
This was hashed out in a different thread. Michael might recall it / find it.

Basically, we are not considered off-highway vehicles (OHV's). We are street legal on-highway vehicles who also operate off-highway.

The "street legal" off-highway vehicles are the side-by-sides that roll down main street at Moab. Many of them have motorcycle sized Utah license plates (though I do not know if that classifies them as "street legal").

newracer
March 2nd, 2023, 08:32 AM
This was hashed out in a different thread. Michael might recall it / find it.

Basically, we are not considered off-highway vehicles (OHV's). We are street legal on-highway vehicles who also operate off-highway.

The "street legal" off-highway vehicles are the side-by-sides that roll down main street at Moab. Many of them have motorcycle sized Utah license plates (though I do not know if that classifies them as "street legal").

This is correct.

newracer
March 2nd, 2023, 08:37 AM
Discussed in the campfire thread starting here.

https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18689-The-Campfire&p=350597#post350597