PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Run - any interest?

Jim
June 5th, 2023, 08:35 PM
To the new to four wheeling folks - would you be interested in a trail run oriented at those new to the sport?

Pipe up and let's see what pans out.

1oldnewb24lo
June 7th, 2023, 10:29 AM
Yes. I am a weekend warrior. I can do a weekday run, but I need a week or so to get time off approved.

Jim
June 7th, 2023, 12:45 PM
Thx. It'll be a couple to three weekends as I'm heading to Utah in a few days...

Tom / others - what trails would be recommended (that are open) for a newbie run?

Tom
June 7th, 2023, 04:24 PM
Thx. It'll be a couple to three weekends as I'm heading to Utah in a few days...

Tom / others - what trails would be recommended (that are open) for a newbie run?
Taylor Mountain, West Magnolia, Pickle Gulch, Yankee Hill, Switzerland Trail, Pennsylvania Gulch all come to mind.

Java
June 7th, 2023, 07:57 PM
I was recently in West Magnolia- everything except the road down to Rollinsville is open, and it's a mudfest in all the right ways. The real shocker is the new growth; if you've been to West Magnolia in the last 10 years or so since they did the massive beetle kill mitigation it's looked like a war zone. Now it is a sensational baby forest, acers of new trees everywhere but only a few feet tall. Walking on the trails is like being a giant! It's worth seeing, and Magnolia right across 119 takes you to Winiger Ridge / Gross Reservoir which is also very easy. Cool hiking trail there too.

Jackie
June 9th, 2023, 08:08 PM
As of May 21, Pickle Gulch was impassible.

Quote from Trails Offroad trail report:

"We attempted Pickle Gulch yesterday but did not get very far once we hit the Snowden Mine intersection. We plowed maybe about 100 yards west on Stewart Gulch through the snow but hit a drift that was up to the hood. Then tried going up Dakota Hill but again hit snow drifts that were up to the bumper."

Blackhawk has had a lot of rain since then, but not really any more snow. I would try it :D

Jim
June 9th, 2023, 11:09 PM
Thanks Jackie.

I don't think I'd put Pickle Gulch on the newbie list - that uphill from the picnic area can give un-locked vehicles grief (last time I was there). Is that uphill "improved" or easier now?

I could see Switzerland - south to north. All depending upon the jeeps in the group - a stop at cliffhanger 2.0 for those that wish to give it a try (possibly none). Then the non-railroad-bed section to the far north trailhead would give something different than the flat railbed. If some wished to tack-on another trail in the area - a consideration.

I'll have to look at the other trails that were mentioned - I'm not overly familiar with trails in that area.

Jackie
June 10th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Thanks Jackie.

I don't think I'd put Pickle Gulch on the newbie list - that uphill from the picnic area can give un-locked vehicles grief (last time I was there). Is that uphill "improved" or easier now?

I could see Switzerland - south to north. All depending upon the jeeps in the group - a stop at cliffhanger 2.0 for those that wish to give it a try (possibly none). Then the non-railroad-bed section to the far north trailhead would give something different than the flat railbed. If some wished to tack-on another trail in the area - a consideration.

I'll have to look at the other trails that were mentioned - I'm not overly familiar with trails in that area.

I ran it during Covid. I didn't need lockers for anything. It was fine then.

Tom
June 10th, 2023, 09:42 AM
I ran it during Covid. I didn't need lockers for anything. It was fine then.
One could also run it from the apex side which would make the obstacle a downhill.

Spence2111
June 26th, 2023, 03:44 PM
I would be interested in joining one of these trail runs. Keeping an eye on this thread for more details.

Spencer

hiimmike
June 27th, 2023, 11:25 AM
I don't know if I'm new to the sport but I can always learn more!

One thing I'd really like to do that I feel I struggle with, picking appropriate lines and spotting on those lines. I mean, I understand the basics, put your tires on the big rocks, not under your vehicle, and try not to put one corner really high and one corner really low, that's how you roll down hills. I would like to be more confident and be able to walk up to Escalator (or any obstacle) and say, this is the line, I'll drive it. Maybe I should've stuck with my Subaru because the Jeep makes it too easy. :lmao:

Jim
June 28th, 2023, 08:31 AM
I've been quiet in the thread with the Maze trip and catching up after being away from my desk. The jeep's voluntarily out of commission with an odd radiator leak. I'm pulling the rad this aft to take it to a shop for evaluation - repair or replace. The jeep should be operational soon.

My thoughts on a "newbie run" is something easy. Time to talk some of the basics (everyone's responsible for the whereabouts of the person following / behind, radios are a convenience - not a necessity). Preferably a run where spotting would not be needed and one where nice views would be appreciated but not required.

Pickle Gulch - Apex to picnic area / downhill for the trail seems reasonable. Pole Hill is a favorite that comes to my mind but the entrance is not overly easy. Devils Canyon should be on the list. Switzerland is on the list - but it could be in the "very easy" category.

Java
June 29th, 2023, 06:31 AM
Yankee Hill is great for a newbie run, and for a couple of shameless plugs for the trailsoffroad app. :thumb: Great video from TOR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9TGYeBj7EY

donnagail
June 29th, 2023, 08:47 AM
Hi Jackie. Just got back from my 3 month NZ/AU trip last week. We talked earlier this year about wheeling together. I am down at the Springs. Maybe we could put together a trail run involving camping? I am available during weekdays, too.

kingfridayace
July 7th, 2023, 11:22 PM
Yankee Hill is great for a newbie run, and for a couple of shameless plugs for the trailsoffroad app. :thumb: Great video from TOR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9TGYeBj7EY

I really want to try yankee hill, but didn’t want to do it alone. If there’s a beginner friendly run there I’ll try to make it. Once my truck is out of the shop that is.

Jackie
July 8th, 2023, 05:49 AM
Hi Jackie. Just got back from my 3 month NZ/AU trip last week. We talked earlier this year about wheeling together. I am down at the Springs. Maybe we could put together a trail run involving camping? I am available during weekdays, too.

Welcome back Donnagail. I'd love to get out on a trail with you. Weekends are the only free days I have now since all my vacation time is spoken for, but let's pick a trail and get together!

Java
July 8th, 2023, 08:13 PM
I really want to try yankee hill, but didn’t want to do it alone. If there’s a beginner friendly run there I’ll try to make it. Once my truck is out of the shop that is.

It's a great trail in both directions and the old cemeteries on the Central City side are really cool too. Good for night runs, no cliffs to fall off.

LouisvilleMike
July 9th, 2023, 09:24 AM
To the new to four wheeling folks - would you be interested in a trail run oriented at those new to the sport?

Pipe up and let's see what pans out.

Yes!!! I would love to join a newbie run! Weekends are best for me, but given a week's heads up I could take a day off mid week!! Am gone this upcoming weekend (July 14th-16th) but am open the next two weekends in July!!

Would really look forward to meeting up with other off roaders!! Want to figure out how to get my wife interested in coming!

Mike

Tom
July 9th, 2023, 09:31 AM
I would be willing to co-lead this with Jim once his rig is back in shape.

LouisvilleMike
July 9th, 2023, 10:05 AM
I'm a fan of Yankee Hill!! Would love to do a group ride there!!

Mike :D

Jim
July 9th, 2023, 01:11 PM
July's booked with family. August works - we can schedule around Tom's Camp Hale run.

I'm OK calling it for Yankee Hill. I don't know the area overly well - Tom can lead!

Spence2111
July 11th, 2023, 09:59 AM
Yankee Hill looks like a great option for this run. I would be interested in joining as well.

Spencer

Tom
July 11th, 2023, 10:01 AM
July's booked with family. August works - we can schedule around Tom's Camp Hale run.

I'm OK calling it for Yankee Hill. I don't know the area overly well - Tom can lead!
I would be good for the first or second weekend in Aug.

Jim
July 11th, 2023, 11:12 AM
Let's list it for the second weekend in August.

Saturday is my pref - August 12.

Where to meet?

Tom
July 11th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Let's list it for the second weekend in August.

Saturday is my pref - August 12.

Where to meet?
Two places come to mind for meeting location
https://maps.app.goo.gl/B7dysvD1vVKKz4v16?g_st=ic Or
https://maps.app.goo.gl/JCoa3u6AT43iPqg88?g_st=ic

First place is large, second has toilets

Tom
July 16th, 2023, 04:35 PM
So the East 1/2 of Yankee is a mess. Washed out, big trenches in the middle of the trail and large boulders exposed. Not a beginner trail anymore imo. Strongly suggest Pickle Gulch or…

Could meet here for pickle and run it backwards.
https://goo.gl/maps/vutezLATs87vb6ne7

Tom
August 8th, 2023, 04:19 PM
Run has been posted for Sat Sept 9th.