PDA

View Full Version : Unread post function change?

Mountaineer01
June 5th, 2023, 09:11 PM
I don’t know if it’s just me, but for the last few weeks it shows me no unread posts unless a post I commented in is changed. So if new threads are stated I don’t have notifications, but if I click on unread posts it will note that there are changes since I last viewed. It used to show everything that I haven’t seen as an unread post, and with this new way of functioning it makes it seem like there is much less activity in the forum. Is there a reason for this change?

Jim
June 5th, 2023, 10:04 PM
There is no change by me. There could be a change by the host which has an undesired impact on our forum software version.

Are you using this link when visiting the forum?
www.FrontRange4x4.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew (https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew)

It's the same URL as the "You have x posts" just below the "Log out" link at the top right of the page.

Jim
June 5th, 2023, 10:04 PM
Forum activity, to me seems to have reduced. Anyone else notice a change in the last few months?

Tom
June 5th, 2023, 10:25 PM
I haven’t noticed any kind of behavior changes on the site. Like Jim said very little activity last few months.

Mountaineer01
June 6th, 2023, 06:05 AM
Jim - I click the “you have x unread posts” button, but it used to to include any posts even if I’m not a part of it, now it only seems to track threads I comment in so most of the time is says no unread posts. In the past I would assume that as no new activity, but now I have to actually click the link to see if that’s accurate. Not a big deal at the end of the day, just wasn’t sure if it was a planned change.

Jim
June 6th, 2023, 08:30 AM
I understand when you say you click the "you have x unread posts". I do not understand what URL you mean when you say "now I have to actually click the link".

When I visited the first time this morning only two threads showed as "new posts" to me - this thread and your steel fuel line thread.

Bottom line - I believe the "unread posts" link is working as it should - it's just that membership is, unfortunately, not active. Why is the question on my mind.

Mountaineer01
June 7th, 2023, 11:48 AM
Jim - When I said "click the link" I was referring to the x unread post button. But today is a good example of the change I am seeing. It shows "no unread posts" but when I click on that button, there are actually multiple new posts, I've included a snip here. It used to count all of those as "unread" to me, but now it only seems to track threads where I have personally commented.

Jim
June 10th, 2023, 02:37 PM
I see - thank you.

Interesting - and the posts are properly "bolded" depicting unreads within. My system is not behaving as you are seeing (my account is the same as yours / there is a separate admin account for admin use).

I suspect a "bad cookie" issue for you.

I'd recommend two options for testing. Either delete cookies / history in your browser or, at least temporarily, try a different browser for Front Range 4x4 and see if the behavior changes.