PDA

View Full Version : Got a couple questions!!!

futbala123
August 25th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Is the jeep straight 6 a good building block for a jeep im thinking of building with a medium lift and some big tires?

I am planning on either rebuilding the engine or buying a crate so does any one have a secret place to buy cheap rebuilt engines or some good used engines?

Looking for some ideas on mods for the engine that are cheap(somewhere on the lines of performance headers, cold air intake, better cam shaft, etc)???

Patrolman
August 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Personal opinion, the 258 (4.2) was a great motor. Not sure what Jeep you are looking at. The 4.0 is apparently nothing to scoff at though either. Both motors have decent enough power to move some extra rubber. They also don't suck as much fuel as a V8. A decent happy medium in my mind. Great platforms with plenty of options to build with.

Patrolman
August 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I had a Scout II with a 258 (Jeep motor). Ran great and had more than enough power to do what I needed it to do. On the other hand, I had a Jeep with a 225 V6 (Buick motor). What a POS! It was a fairly decent and reliable motor, but NO TORQUE. Just didn't have the low end grunt of the I6.

4Runner3Wheeler
August 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Just make sure your frame and drivetrain are bomber before doing any mods.

Chris
August 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Some specifics on what "larger tires" means would be good too - 33's are larger so are 37's!

Brody
August 30th, 2008, 09:50 AM
The 258 (or 4.0) is much like a Chevy 350: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Luckily both these manufacturers realized they had a great engine and didn't screw with the design. So, yes, the Jeep inline 6 is a great engine and with the proper gearing and axle beef ups will turn up to 35s ok. Read up on Jeep axle problems with big tires before you do much else. They have a weak front Dana, but there are many beef up options.

As far as the engine goes, beefing the intake and exhaust will really help. So will supercharging it, but that's another $5k...you'll be able to spin 35s, though.

Anyway, I've had a few Jeeps with the 258 and have had very little trouble with them. If you can, get the 'high output' 4.0 as either the valves and/or combustion chamber have been modified to give slightly better performance.

solid rock
August 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Clifford Performance is who you want to look up for engine mods.
they are notorious for the 6=8 power.
they make intakes,exhaust and cam set ups to make any 4 or 6 cyl. run grrrrrrrreat!!

Chris
August 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
So they can turn my 3FE into a 260HP killer motor? :rolleyes:

Brody
September 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM
Naw, Chris, who you want to get in touch with is Underdog Racing Development (URD), Jacobson, or DOA. These are the folks for the Toyota stuff. URD races a 1000hp Toyota 4 banger, so they might be able to squeek a few extra hp out of a six.