PDA

View Full Version : Moab May 10-12th

Bwelker85
March 20th, 2024, 05:36 PM
Hey Front Range,

Looking to plan a Moab trip the weekend of May 11th, but could also do late April weather permitting. I’ve never been to Moab, not sure when it warms up.

Let me know who’s interested, would love to get a weekend on the books!

Ben

Tom
March 20th, 2024, 06:53 PM
May is a good time for Moab temp wise. Unfortunately I no can do.

Jim
March 20th, 2024, 06:56 PM
Interested - but will be curious as to temps - but by this chart - temps look nice:

https://weatherspark.com/m/3012/5/Average-Weather-in-May-in-Moab-Utah-United-States

I’ve never been to Moab

What level of trails are you looking for - easy / medium / difficult / extreme?

Fins-n-Things & Hells Revenge are high on the checklist. Top Of The World. Poison Spider to the Moab valley overlook and a jump to the Launch Pad obstacle. Potash Road to Shafer Switchbacks (easy). Elephant Hill is high in my book.

Mountaineer01
March 21st, 2024, 08:19 AM
I am interested in this well, will depend on my workload around that time.

JGRubicon
March 21st, 2024, 03:11 PM
Have fun! I'll be there the weekend of the 17th out by needles.

Jim's got a solid list.

Jeffcon
March 21st, 2024, 11:32 PM
I'm actually headed to Moab March 28 - 30th if anyone else will be out then. Staying at KOA in town, don't have 100% full plans done yet, but so far have Onion Creek planned. Been once years ago, went during July aka way too hot. We opted to head out as our first trip in 2024 so early to beat the heat of the season. Our main goal and desire is to kick off our 2024 family and off road camping season asap and also we are doing a re-visit of sites both in Moab and Colorado as a whole to spread ashes of our beloved and dearly missed Husky we lost at 3 years old last year to all the places she visited with us over the years.

Sand dunes is after this one! (Unsure when).

I was going to also be in Moab for cruise Moab solo, but the event sold out so darn fast. So definitely open to a trip honestly and if you all have any trails we could potentially scope out this next week, happy to add to the list!

hiimmike
March 25th, 2024, 11:46 AM
Hey Front Range,

Looking to plan a Moab trip the weekend of May 11th, but could also do late April weather permitting. I’ve never been to Moab, not sure when it warms up.

Let me know who’s interested, would love to get a weekend on the books!

Ben

I've been camping in Moab in February, I think you'll be fine in April or May. :) I'm not on-call for the May 11 weekend, I'm in if you want to fill spots. Friday - Monday type of thing? I won't stay in a hotel, I'm poor and the off brand motels (that I picture are filled with bed bugs and blood from murders (I have a wild imagination)) are something like $300+/night.

I have a friend who is dying to do Top of the World who may come for a short weekend. He's got a capable vehicle and the skills. I feel comfortable doing anything Jim listed too.

hiimmike
March 25th, 2024, 11:49 AM
Interested - but will be curious as to temps - but by this chart - temps look nice:

https://weatherspark.com/m/3012/5/Average-Weather-in-May-in-Moab-Utah-United-States

What level of trails are you looking for - easy / medium / difficult / extreme?

Fins-n-Things & Hells Revenge are high on the checklist. Top Of The World. Poison Spider to the Moab valley overlook and a jump to the Launch Pad obstacle. Potash Road to Shafer Switchbacks (easy). Elephant Hill is high in my book.

Are you saying that you've never done those trails, they're still on your list to be checked off?????!!!!! Here I am thinking Jim is the master of all trails in the world. :D On a serious note, if you really haven't done them, we could easily hit Hells and Fins in a short weekend. A camp site in Sand Flats includes your admission and both those trails are in Sand Flats, I'm down if you want to just go last minute on a trip, assuming on not on-call which is typically one weekend a month.

hiimmike
April 5th, 2024, 08:16 AM
Looks like your rig tipped over, maybe you can't go anymore. :lmao:

Jim
April 5th, 2024, 07:08 PM
Are you saying that you've never done those trails, they're still on your list to be checked off?????!!!!!

Those trails have been enjoyed - and are ones I'd enjoy again! (though Potash / Schaefer Switchbacks would not be high in the pecking order)

In related news - the jeep's back running-ish. I put the battery into it maybe three weeks ago. I need to look at the front wheel bearings and front brakes - things I wish to review before taking it on the road.

Still looking to see what might pan out for this Moab discussion.

FINOCJ
April 5th, 2024, 10:09 PM
Just got back from Moab with rich etc....in addition to some obligatory trails like fins and hells, I did add two more trails to list that I'd never run - flat iron mesa and steelbender. I think PS and elephant hill are still my favorites, but steelbender was cool and flat iron is scenic with a few challenge-y spots.

Jim
April 5th, 2024, 10:23 PM
Just got back from Moab with rich etc....

`was thinking of you & Rich earlier today - looking forward to a trail report!

Bwelker85
April 6th, 2024, 10:37 AM
Looks like your rig tipped over, maybe you can't go anymore. :lmao:

Confirming the rig is back upright haha :)

Sorry for the radio silence, I wasn’t getting notifications for whatever reason. My plan is to tent camp, no hotel, especially after your description haha. I have a buddy flying in from NC who’s going to ride along as well, was too expensive to ship his rig. I’m thinking I’ll drive out Thursday after work, wheel Friday-Sunday, and drive back.

LouisvilleMike
April 9th, 2024, 06:35 AM
Would this include camping somewhere as a group? Or just "every man for himself?"

Bwelker85
April 9th, 2024, 08:54 AM
Would this include camping somewhere as a group? Or just "every man for himself?"

I’d prefer group. The more the merrier. My plan is to drive up Thursday May 9th and camp. Wheel Friday and Saturday, head back Sunday afternoon.

Mountaineer01
April 9th, 2024, 09:01 AM
I would vote for group camping. I'm looking about 75% likely for this one at the moment. I've been to Moab twice but never actually done any of the main trails so I would love to cross a few of these off the list!

hiimmike
April 9th, 2024, 03:38 PM
Those trails have been enjoyed - and are ones I'd enjoy again! (though Potash / Schaefer Switchbacks would not be high in the pecking order)

In related news - the jeep's back running-ish. I put the battery into it maybe three weeks ago. I need to look at the front wheel bearings and front brakes - things I wish to review before taking it on the road.

Still looking to see what might pan out for this Moab discussion.

Let me know if you'd like any help. I'm not an expert mechanic but I enjoy wrench time with friends and learning new stuff. I'm also good at holding tools or handing tools to people. :D

hiimmike
April 9th, 2024, 03:42 PM
My favorite camp site in Moab area is up Onion Creek. There's a pull off to the right very close to the end of the trail. There's a huge tree (I think cottonwood) and it's right by the creek. It was so peaceful when I was there camping alone. I don't think it would fit more than 3 rigs with ground tents, comfortably.

I'm still very interested. If this is on, let's talk about what trails. Dome Plateau anyone? :D

Mountaineer01
April 12th, 2024, 08:12 AM
I put in my time off request so I'm planning on joining this one. Should we put it on the calendar and start planning some camping spots and runs?

Bwelker85
April 15th, 2024, 11:42 AM
I put in my time off request so I'm planning on joining this one. Should we put it on the calendar and start planning some camping spots and runs?

Sounds good! I'll throw it on the calendar with some suggested trail runs. If it's only a small group, the Onion Creek camping spot sounds good to me.

Bwelker85
April 16th, 2024, 06:30 PM
We're on the calendar. Planned run link: https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?29764-Moab-May-9-12

Dustin G
April 22nd, 2024, 08:02 AM
This is highly tempting! I have been looking for an excuse to get this season started. I will check my calender and see if we are available.
I have only been to Moab twice. Done Fins in my Power Wagon and Hells in a SXS. Ran Golden Spike late last season in my crawler. All super fun trails. Would be fun to hit some more in the crawler.