PDA

View Full Version : Drag link removal from Pitman Arm

hiimmike
July 5th, 2024, 10:55 AM
I got a new to me drag link and tie rod. I have a '22 JLUR. I understand sometimes it's difficult to remove the drag link from the pitman arm. Anyone have any tips/tricks for this if I encounter problems? I'm trying to upgrade my steering this weekend since I'm on-call and can't really go do anything anyway.

One guy took some pictures of his solution. It was to cut the ball joint thingy that goes INTO the pitman arm, he posted pictures and everyone said "good luck getting that stud out of the hole thingy." I don't want to be that guy that did something stupid, I've already been and it's not fun and now my Jeep has an important part held on by a zip tie. :lmao:

TjSteveA
July 5th, 2024, 10:44 PM
Use a pickle fork or tie rod puller. Do not use a hammer to hit the drag link off that may give you issues with your gear box.

Jim
July 5th, 2024, 10:58 PM
I have a couple pickle forks. If you'd like me to stop over Saturday - late morning - I could.

a1gemmel
July 6th, 2024, 08:47 AM
I always tighten up a puller until it starts making me nervous, then hit the pitman arm with a torch. MAP gas best, propane will work. Most of the time a minute of heat and it'll pop off. If it doesn't, a few hammer blows to the side of the pitman arm does it. Hold a sledge on the other side to form a Newton's cradle and not snap your sector shaft off.

TyTheJeepGuy
July 7th, 2024, 08:09 PM
Yeah heat and hammer, percussive maintenance :)

hiimmike
July 11th, 2024, 11:03 AM
I always tighten up a puller until it starts making me nervous, then hit the pitman arm with a torch. MAP gas best, propane will work. Most of the time a minute of heat and it'll pop off. If it doesn't, a few hammer blows to the side of the pitman arm does it. Hold a sledge on the other side to form a Newton's cradle and not snap your sector shaft off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TDDYK0R3Z0 :lmao:

I know what a pitman arm is, it connects the steering box to the drag link. The rest, you might as well said it in Chinese. hahah

hiimmike
July 11th, 2024, 11:08 AM
I have a couple pickle forks. If you'd like me to stop over Saturday - late morning - I could.

I bought a tie rod separator from Harbor Freight, no idea if it'll work. I'd be happy to take you up on your pickle fork offer perhaps next weekend? I could also swing by your place too since you're doing me a favor, and I'm also using you for your well trusted wisdom. :D

I have some additional parts on order from Rustys Offroad. The guy I bought my stuff from didn't install the serrated washers behind the jam nuts and also didn't have the bracket for my ATS stabilizer.

Anyone need anything from Rustys Offroad? My total is $50 and they want $28 shipping unless I spend $100.

Jim
July 11th, 2024, 11:41 AM
I could help this weekend - I just don't know when as yet.

I'm taking the jeep to a guy in Loveland for oscilloscope readings of the charging system. He doesn't want to set a day/time until later on Friday.

While I'd be game for you to visit me - it might be safer for me to visit you. If your jeep ends up "non-drivable" it'd be best if it were in your garage. I'm happy to drive to you.

If you wish, post up a couple pictures of what you're working with.

Jim
July 21st, 2024, 09:41 AM
Met yesterday and tended the swap. Made vehicle measurements before removal. The three wheel connections "fell apart" when the nut was loosened. The pitman arm connection needed moderate pickle fork persuasion. No heat needed. Slight steering wheel centering tended. All-in-all - it went just as one would wish.

hiimmike
July 22nd, 2024, 09:27 AM
Jim taught me how to be an adult "today"! I got babies first grease gun and my first ball joint removals! This went wonderfully with Jim's help, I would've been in a pickle (pun intended) if not for ya Jim! Thank you again so much for your help and wisdom!!! I learned a lot "today"!!