PDA

View Full Version : Ouray 7/29 - 8/1

hiimmike
July 11th, 2024, 11:51 AM
Now that Black Bear is open, I'm making an emergency trip to the Ouray area. A friend from CA is coming in her Jeep to get the 5 CO badges down there. I still need Black Bear and Poughkeepsie.

Current very aggressive plan:

Drive out 7/28

7/29:
Ophir > Black Bear > Lunch in Telluride > Imogene and find a camp spot dependent on weather

7/30:
Finish Imogene > Poughkeepsie > Camp on California

7/31: California > Engineer > Up to Marble to camp and run Crystal Mill the following day

8/1: Crystal Mill assuming everything has gone well and we're rested and comfortable to run out there, I hear it's a very difficult trail

We'll stop and check out Animas forks between California and Engineer.

If we have time, we'll swing up to Marble and then do the Crystal Mill run, this seems unlikely at first but who knows.

This will be overland style, camping wherever we can find a place.

JandDGreens
July 11th, 2024, 12:52 PM
Is Poughkeepsie open? The last couple trips down there it was closed.

Ol Blue
July 11th, 2024, 02:43 PM
Sounds like a great trip, have fun!!!

FYI the road to Crystal Mill is just a rough 2wd dirt road. You will see many Subarus and crossovers at the mill. Doesn't get spicy until you go over Schofield Pass to Crested Butte. But even Schofield isn't too tough, its easier than Black Bear and Poughkeepsie in my opinion (OnX ratings agree too)

hiimmike
July 17th, 2024, 08:22 AM
Is Poughkeepsie open? The last couple trips down there it was closed.

I've only looked at Trailsoffroad and that says it's open, it hasn't let me down yet, fingers crossed!

donnagail
July 27th, 2024, 07:06 AM
A few days ago I saw were Black Bear was closed due to getting a vehicle removed after a rollover. Occupants were ok, but they didn't give a date to reopen. Check first.

hiimmike
August 18th, 2024, 12:46 PM
The Wall on Poughkeepsie - I left my memory card at home so my footage and pictures are limited to only 2GB internal drone storage. Oh well

https://youtu.be/D-GYR3CsdNE?si=zyEEJnpS4nQjIw0m

TyTheJeepGuy
August 19th, 2024, 11:04 AM
Wow I really need to do Poughkeepsie sometime, looks gorgeous and fun.