PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross 8/3

TjMike
August 6th, 2024, 12:12 PM
Big thanks to Ben for setting this up and organizing. Beautiful weather and 5 vehicles in our group we started off around 11am. The trail was busy. Several groups were ahead of us and unfortunately we got behind a group which shouldn't have been on the trail and really slowed things down. Even before getting to gatekeeper, one of their stock Jeeps got stuck and after 30 minutes of trying different lines/stacking rocks, they finally winched the guy out. On we go... or at least I thought. Eventually we get to gatekeeper and get stuck behind another Jeep spilling power steering fluid everywhere trying to make it up which fails. They tried to winch but his winch controller is broken. :bang: After some time, we finally get the controller fixed and his Jeep winched up and out of the way. Our group made short work of Gatekeeper and moved pasted the slow group. Yay! We're on our way and making good time! :2thumbup:
Then it was my turn to have issues. Going up a small granite rock (not an obstacle you would be worried about) I broke a rear upper control arm and the axle shifted about a foot passenger side. Apparently my welding wasn't very good on that bracket. :erm: Ill post pictures soon.
Got the axle winched back under the Jeep, we ratchet strapped the broken bracket to the frame and hoped for the best as I turned around and headed back down. Luckily it stayed in place (mostly) and got it on the trailer. Ben and the rest of the group kept heading up the trail and from what I hear, had smooth sailing to the top.
Still, good day and great group of folks. Thanks again to Ben!

Bwelker85
August 6th, 2024, 12:40 PM
Big thanks to Ben for setting this up and organizing. Beautiful weather and 5 vehicles in our group we started off around 11am. The trail was busy. Several groups were ahead of us and unfortunately we got behind a group which shouldn't have been on the trail and really slowed things down. Even before getting to gatekeeper, one of their stock Jeeps got stuck and after 30 minutes of trying different lines/stacking rocks, they finally winched the guy out. On we go... or at least I thought. Eventually we get to gatekeeper and get stuck behind another Jeep spilling power steering fluid everywhere trying to make it up which fails. They tried to winch but his winch controller is broken. :bang: After some time, we finally get the controller fixed and his Jeep winched up and out of the way. Our group made short work of Gatekeeper and moved pasted the slow group. Yay! We're on our way and making good time! :2thumbup:
Then it was my turn to have issues. Going up a small granite rock (not an obstacle you would be worried about) I broke a rear upper control arm and the axle shifted about a foot passenger side. Apparently my welding wasn't very good on that bracket. :erm: Ill post pictures soon.
Got the axle winched back under the Jeep, we ratchet strapped the broken bracket to the frame and hoped for the best as I turned around and headed back down. Luckily it stayed in place (mostly) and got it on the trailer. Ben and the rest of the group kept heading up the trail and from what I hear, had smooth sailing to the top.
Still, good day and great group of folks. Thanks again to Ben!

Hate Mike wasn’t able to make it all the way up! Water levels were very low at French Creek which made it easier than it may typically be. Saw an enormous Moose at the top at Holy Cross City! None of our group opted to do Cleveland Rock but watched a couple of buggies run it. Super sketchy on the way down but thankfully no rollovers.

Jim
August 6th, 2024, 01:54 PM
watched a couple of buggies run it

Pictures?

hiimmike
August 21st, 2024, 02:35 PM
This isn't convincing me to want to run Holy Cross..... lol

Glad everyone made it back with all their arms and legs!