PDA

View Full Version : Rabble Rouser

Chris
September 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I'm a little confused.

Let me see if I have this straight.....

If you grow up in Hawaii , raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic, different."

If you grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, you're the quintessential American story.

If your name is Barack you're a radical, Unpatriotic Muslim.

If you name your kids Willow , Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

If you graduate from Harvard Law School you are unstable.

If you attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

If you spend 3 years as a community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.

If your total resume is as the local weather girl, have 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town With less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive and next in line behind a man in his eighth decade.

If you have been married to the same woman for 19 Years while raising 2 daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real Christian.

If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and then left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a true Christian.

If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.

If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other option in sex education in your state's school system and your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't represent Americas.

If you're husband is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

OK, much clearer now. :lol:

4Runner3Wheeler
September 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I see where you're going with this and support your views. I'm curious what attributes make the maverick and small town seem like a good choice for this election. I've asked my family who support them, and they cannot give me any answers or evidence of them being a better duo. I don't get why Barrack isn't blowing them out of the water. There must be a lot of swing voters out there. :eek:

Politics...what a joke!

I'm a little confused.

Let me see if I have this straight.....

If you grow up in Hawaii , raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic, different."

If you grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, you're the quintessential American story.

If your name is Barack you're a radical, Unpatriotic Muslim.

If you name your kids Willow , Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

If you graduate from Harvard Law School you are unstable.

If you attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

If you spend 3 years as a community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.

If your total resume is as the local weather girl, have 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town With less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive and next in line behind a man in his eighth decade.

If you have been married to the same woman for 19 Years while raising 2 daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real Christian.

If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and then left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a true Christian.

If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.

If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other option in sex education in your state's school system and your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't represent Americas.

If you're husband is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

OK, much clearer now. :lol:

Jimmy
September 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
But she's hot!!! That's enough for me. :)

OK, maybe not.

Chris
September 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Who wouldn't want Palin as President when McCain doesn't make it through his term, it's about time we have a female president, "first dude" and their kids; Bristol, Willow, Piper, Indy, and Track in the White House.

Damn, sound like neo-hippies to me. :lol:

Patrolman
September 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I was watching CNN or something the other night in a 1/2 sleep daze. I really thought I was dreaming when I heard her kids names. Wow. I guess I was more awake than I thought!

Pathrat
September 16th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Patrolman:

I have a small background in politics: I was my district's rep to the state (Utah) Democratic convention then went to work for a rural Utah Republican congressman in DC, all at age 19.
I was a military spouse for seven years, directly and indirectly at the mercy of the Joint Chiefs, President and Congress.
I have lived in places where religion is more prominent than government, and the lines can get blurred.
So there are my creds to spout off.

Why isn't Obama blowing McCain and Palin out of the water? IMO, because of Christian Fundamentalism. Those who follow blindly tend to accept dogmatic stances and tend to be unyielding in their black and white views. For example, take the opinion that all abortions are bad and evil. Take that opinion to a belief that encompasses your moral fiber and your teachings since childhood. Circumstances no longer have the power to mediate what becomes entrenched. No effing way will a strong-willed Baptist take to Obama, as they have been taught their stringent version of family values, which conflict with that of the enemy, no matter who that enemy is. They are doing what they believe is right and actually practicing their beliefs in all facets of their lives. A religious hypocrite is actually, in some ways, easier to sway or have a discourse with.

Don't think I am just picking on the right-wing religious wing-nuts either. I find the same 'I am right, you are wrong, and you are an ignorant slob for thinking what I think is wrong' liberal pansies who tout tolerance while remaining closed minded to other opinions just as useless.

Dude, she named her kid Indy??? And I thought I was a fan! I named my daughter Scout, after the literary figure from To Kill a Mockingbird, not because it sounds totally mellow-cool.

Chris
September 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Atticus Finch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atticus_Finch), now there's a man I'd vote for!

Pathrat
September 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Atticus Finch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atticus_Finch), now there's a man I'd vote for!

Hell yeah!:thunb:

Brody
September 17th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Well, my two cents worth, too:

I simply think that it is high time to have some sort of change in the White House, period. A different color president might help, whether they are brown, black, yellow, green, red, or purple. A woman in the White House also might help...again, color be damned. A business minded person in the White House, rather than a politician, might help, too.

I don't know if it really matters what party they are either as big money controls this country (as it has since the Declaration of Independence and the signing of the Constitution) as does the demand for oil, and the president ends up being only a figurehead.

Again, changes MIGHT help, though America seems to be dealing with having shut the barn door long after the animals have left....

Patrolman
September 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I would vote for Atticus Finch too. Speaking of names, I met a gentleman whose legal 1st name was Guy. Another whose legal 1st name was Dude. Go figure. Some of the most interesting people in our society have had names that are distinctive. Just not sure about the ones she picked! Hopefully there is a story behind each one!

Patrolman
September 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Well, my two cents worth, too:

I simply think that it is high time to have some sort of change in the White House, period. A different color president might help, whether they are brown, black, yellow, green, red, or purple. A woman in the White House also might help...again, color be damned. A business minded person in the White House, rather than a politician, might help, too.

PEROT!!!!

Patrolman
September 17th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Patrolman:

I have a small background in politics: I was my district's rep to the state (Utah) Democratic convention then went to work for a rural Utah Republican congressman in DC, all at age 19.
I was a military spouse for seven years, directly and indirectly at the mercy of the Joint Chiefs, President and Congress.
I have lived in places where religion is more prominent than government, and the lines can get blurred.
So there are my creds to spout off.

I didn't realize that you had served in office in Utah. Wow... What a tough state to work in! I don't think that I could reside in Utah simply due to the religious affiliation with their state govt. Personally, I am not religious, and believe govt should remain that way as well. If Utah was run differently, I could very well be living there now! I hope to work in local politics some day, but clearly not in Utah.

Chris
September 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Being a bit older and all I'm familiar with odd names from the 60's :rolleyes:

Pathrat
September 17th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I didn't realize that you had served in office in Utah. Wow... What a tough state to work in! I don't think that I could reside in Utah simply due to the religious affiliation with their state govt. Personally, I am not religious, and believe govt should remain that way as well. If Utah was run differently, I could very well be living there now! I hope to work in local politics some day, but clearly not in Utah.

It was more like minimum wage scut work, I would not call it service, but thank you. As a delegate for my district, all seven or eight of us (really!) we had two meetings and I attended the convention. It has changed a lot since the late 80's. The church still pretty much runs the government, but it is not near as bad in Salt Lake anymore. The demographics have changed and changes were made when the Olympics came to town. They had even elected a divorced, female Democrat as mayor. SLC is about 50% Mormon. Provo is about 98%. Moab, about 25%.
I could live there now. I like my mom's neighborhood. It is like Wash Park but younger, more kids, and less arrogance. Utah is on my top list of places to move to when the kids are older.

Patrolman
September 18th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have a friend who lives in SLC who is not mormon, and he loves it. One thing that I could never get used to being there is the humidity is a little higher than Denver due to the lake. Yuck. Moab is clearly a whole different town. I could be a resident so long as I skipped town during the summer! Even travelling through SLC about 10 years ago was odd. I noticed there were many rules that were clearly different than the rest of the US. Stuff regarding where you can order alcohol, age to smoke is 19, etc. Most of it doesn't apply to me, but made me wonder what laws would be drastically different that would affect my life.

Pathrat
September 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Most of it doesn't apply to me, but made me wonder what laws would be drastically different that would affect my life.

The alcohol rules are different from any other place I have ever lived. State liquor stores, no drinks without food, real drinks with a "private club membership". Back when I was 21, they brought you the mini bottle and you mixed your own. There are odd laws downtown near the Temple since the LDS church bought a few city blocks. I personally think the city ought not have done that. The state legislature is LDS dominant and some of the laws are reflective of that, and there is some stupid **** that goes on there, like hunting lisences for the blind. Still, I agree with your friend. I would like to live there.

Brody
September 19th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I have done a lot of rock climbing in both Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon outside of SLC and quite a bit of ice clibing outside of Provo.

Utah is a really nice state but with some wierd laws and the Mormon church has way too much influence. The laws are such that they make you WANT to do something that will really upset people just to rattle their cage.

I could never live there. Visiting is just fine for me.

Pathrat
September 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I have done a lot of rock climbing in both Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon outside of SLC and quite a bit of ice clibing outside of Provo.

Utah is a really nice state but with some wierd laws and the Mormon church has way too much influence. The laws are such that they make you WANT to do something that will really upset people just to rattle their cage.

I could never live there. Visiting is just fine for me.

My mom works up Little Cottonwood at Snowbird.

Hahaha...even in Catholic school I did stuff just to rattle cages, and I did the same in my younger days to the Mormons. My boy informed missionaries that came to the door that he worshipped Thor and invited them in to plan the next sacrifice. They left. It was fun.

solid rock
September 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM
let me just start off by saying i dislike the whole political BS spewed all over the airwaves and TV.
it makes me question both parties, who do you believe? i don't know.

who cares what the kids names are or whos husband has a "record"
"let him who is without sin cast the first stone" no one should be throwing stones....right?

i have no party affiliation nor will i ever.
Kerry was a nut job, that's why i voted for Bush last (so blame me right)

this time, i may just vote for Obama and see what happens in the next 4 years.
but this guy scares me for some reason so i don't know.

i'll wait for the debates.

if i was president:
no taxes for those who make under 60k a year (give them all the $$ they are struggling to make)
all other pay on a curve scale.
DRILL! DRILL! DRILL!!! we have all the oil we need to support ourselves.

and why are we bailing out these mortgage comp. and banks whos CEOs are making bank to begin with?

oh, BTW, my kids name is Asher, pulled from the bible, asher was one of the twelve tribes of judah.
wierd enough for ya? ;-)

and yes we are Christians, not your typical radical kind.
just humble bible believing Christians.

Brody
September 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I'll vote ( again..it's been a long time) for the first politician that I would trust to stay in my house while I was away and watch my wife, kids and bank account.

I quite voting Vietnam era and there has been no politician that I have ever seen or heard of that wasn't your basic, low down, dirty, lying *******, who would just as soon rape your wife, kill your kids, burn your house down, and steal everything you own, then walk away with a smile on his (or her) face. This is essentially true for all politicians world wide.

I am proud to be an American and will defend my country...and I can do both without political assholes making things sweeter for the rich people that really run this joint.

Chris
September 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Last vote for George McGovern Pete? :cool:

Pathrat
September 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
if i was president:
no taxes for those who make under 60k a year (give them all the $$ they are struggling to make)

and why are we bailing out these mortgage comp. and banks whos CEOs are making bank to begin with?

oh, BTW, my kids name is Asher, pulled from the bible, asher was one of the twelve tribes of judah.
wierd enough for ya? ;-)

Well, like I reported, my daughter's name is Scout, which qualifies for odd.

We do have sustainable oil that could be drilled, and I would be willing to bet our technology for alternate fuels and cars that can use them is way more advanced than we are led to believe.

Yes, the CEOs of those companies should be summarily fired, along with those who knowlingly misled others, contributing to the problems in the first place. And, shoot a few unscrupulous developers for good measure.

Nothing wrong with humble, Bible-believing Christians who practice what they believe Monday through Saturday too. Hope you do understand I voiced my dislike of those who are radical, be it religiously and/or politically.

solid rock
September 20th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Q:Pathrat

Hope you do understand I voiced my dislike of those who are radical, be it religiously and/or politically.

me 2....me 2

Chris
September 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
let me just start off by saying i dislike the whole political BS spewed all over the airwaves and TV.
it makes me question both parties, who do you believe? i don't know.

As the election gets closer the ads gets nastier and neither candidate looks very good because of it. The problem is that the public makes decisions on 30 second sound bites rather than understanding the entire candidate.

"let him who is without sin cast the first stone" no one should be throwing stones....right?

Nobody should be throwing stones but that's not the way it works in politics which is a major issue. Election decisions are made based on 30 second sound bites and these sound bites are largely lies. It's a shame to say the least.

Regarding kids names and spouses records, they don't mean anything. My initial comment was tongue-n-cheek meant to indicate the VP candidate doesn't sound too conservative.

i have no party affiliation nor will i ever.

Agreed, I will never claim an affiliation with either party since neither deserve any allegiance. The two party system has become obsolete and we need better choices.

i'll wait for the debates.

I'm looking forward to them!

if i was president:

Agreed

Disagreed, we don't have all the oil we need. The oil shale is a joke, nobody has found a way to extract the oil in a cost efficient manner yet and plenty have tried. We need an alternative to oil.

Bush just socialized the banks, the government for all practical applications owns them all. There wasn't a choice really, if AIG was allowed to fail we would have seen an international financial collapse and another depression. I don't agree with a lot of Bush's decisions and policies but this was the only thing to do.

oh, BTW, my kids name is Asher, pulled from the bible, asher was one of the twelve tribes of judah. wierd enough for ya? ;-)

Funny, I never thought his name was weird at all but I'm a guy who named his kids with what we thought were uncommon names only to find they were both in the top 10 for kids that year. Talk about being out of touch! :lol:

For which I respect you