PDA

View Full Version : snow and tires

gragravar
September 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
what do you all run on your 4x4's in the winter? do you switch to snow tires? if so, what is your preference. if you stick with your MT's or AT's how do they do on the snow and ice, and which ones do you use?

My disco is gonna need new tires before the snow flies and I am trying to decide what to do.

FWIW, this decision is easy on the cars where I run summer rubber in the summer, and winter in the winter.

Funrover
September 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I have had great luck with my BFG at's!!! I run them year round. My parents run the Cooper mud/snow at's year round! I can take a pic tomorrow of what they have!

Pathrat
September 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I ran Yokohama Geolander MTs two years ago, sucky on ice and really thin layers of snow. I ran Firestone Destination MTs last winter, quite sucky on ice and thin layers of snow. I don't have room to store summer tires, and my Firestones come pre-drilled for studs, so I am going to try that this winter. I guess end of October, early November.

4Runninfun
September 20th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I would say NO to just about all MT's unless they are siped. I run the Trxus MT's which are heavily siped. I got them at the end of last winter so i didn't get a chance to get them in the deep stuff, but they did great on snowy/slushy streets. BFG's AT's also get a big vote from me.

Patrolman
September 20th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Honestly, I ditch the 33's and go back to some 225/70R15's for my truck. It works well in winter. They are studded and siped which is the main reason. I don't winter wheel with it, so no big concern there.

Brody
September 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
I don't have a choice, having to run what I have on my rig all year until they wear out.Here is what I have and haven't liked for snow:

BFG ATs not too bad
BFG Mud sucky
Yokohamas good
Goodyear MTRs pretty good
TSL Swampers Bias death tires
Cepek Fun Country pretty good
Toyo MTs pretty good
Swampers Radial not too bad
Pro Comp ATs pretty good
Desert duelers not too bad

Don't remember what else I have run -just that nothing was stellar, but that is probably more due to the size of the tires more so than anything else. Oh yeah...most of the tires I have run are big lugs with big spaces with the exception of a few. I always keep that in mind when I am driving in the snow or ice and drive accordingly. I hate that hydroplaning....

Warrlord
September 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM
I would say NO to just about all MT's unless they are siped. I run the Trxus MT's which are heavily siped. I got them at the end of last winter so i didn't get a chance to get them in the deep stuff, but they did great on snowy/slushy streets. BFG's AT's also get a big vote from me.

I ran those (31x10.50's) on my Bronco for 3 winters & I gotta tell ya.............They were the best tire I've used on snowy/icy/slushy ever. I've compared them to others I have ran during winter.........

BFG A/T's - pretty good
BFG M/T's - sucky on ice & snowpacked roads
BigO A/T's - terrible
TSL's - not good but not terrible
Iroks - very good until about half tread
Goodyear Wrngler RTS - sucky
Cooper ATR - very good (if they made 'em in 35's, I'd run 'em on my Ranger in winter)

Patrolman
September 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
I think there are 2 important things to keep in mind. It isn't always necessarily brand, but rather width and lug size. I think the wider the rubber, the less snow/ice traction. Of course, the better is should do in deep snow though. Also, larger lugs don't grab as well on snow/ice. That is why snow tires have small lugs and all the sipes. You want more vertical surface area. A M/T has lots of horizontal surface area, but not much vertical.

Jeepin Chef
September 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
I just run my MTR'S ..But alittle less psi,if theres alot of snow on the roads.

Jimmy
September 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Goodyear MTRs siped. No complaints at all. This winter I'm considering leaving the BFG MT KMs on their to try them out. They're siped as well.

Pathrat
September 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM

I have not forgotten what you said last go around on tires and how much you like your Trxus's :)

Pathrat
September 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Nice detail Nay, thanks.

DaleD
September 23rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
Whatever you get do not get BFG Rugged trails they plain out suck period

4Runner3Wheeler
September 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Nay has the right idea. I'm a fan of Interco Tires and think the Trxus MTs are the way to go for the climate in Colorado. They last long, resist punctures, and are aggressive enough for all conditions here. I will likely get a set in 30,000 miles when my TSL Radials wear out.

I recently purchased the Super Swamper TSL Radials, which have been great on every thing so far. They are siped, but I will likely air down a bit and take sharp curves a bit slower when there is a thin layer of snow or sheets of ice.

I currently run the Silent Armor Goodyear ATs on the Tahoe for ski trip ascents. I am also considering an extra set of winter tires/wheels for the Runner if I can find a good deal. I am excited to run the Swampers in some deep snow this season though.

5280Hawk
September 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I know everybody knows about BFG's All Terrain TA's but.....

I can tell you mine have almost 17,000 on them (Tacoma) , and they basically have 90+% of the tread left on them.

This will be my second winter with them and even in 2wd I had a super easy time getting around.

there's a reason why everybody has them......

Chris
September 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM
x2, BFG A/T's a good all around tires

gragravar
September 25th, 2008, 09:41 PM
thanks all for the good feedback.

I think I might look for a set of true snow tires in the stock size for it. I still have the old rover with the larger trxus MTs to get around in the deep stuff. If I dont find good stock size snows, then I guess it will be time to lift the disco and find some Trxus MTs or BFG AT's or maybe some MTRs for it.

Brody
September 26th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Good stock snow tires should be no trouble to find as so many people take 'em off to put bigger meats on. You should be able to find killer deals on craigslist. Just do a search for 'snow tires', then 'all terrain tires' And something should pop. Craigslist brings up different tires junk depending on what you key in, so it gets interesting...

Good luck

Pathrat
October 10th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I have to ask, because I don't know any better, but if you have a rear wheel drive vehicle, is it effective enough to stud your rear wheels only or do you need all four wheels done for adequate traction? Sure, all four would likely be better, but will just the two in the rear do any harm or significantly reduce the outcome of the intent of the studding?

Pathrat
October 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks. Having the back end pass my front end would totally defeat the purpose, huh? I mean, I could do that on my own WITHOUT spending money on tires or studs. :D

gragravar
November 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Well, I figured out my solution to my snow tire quandary. I found some used 16" disco II wheels on craigs list. then I went and I got some real snows for winter use.

went with studded Nokian Hakkapelitta 5 SUV tires in the stock size.

http://magsandtires.com/imageupload/Hakkapeliitta5SUV.JPG

since the disco will primarily see on-road conditions until I get the RRC sold (which seems to be taking a while) I figured this would be the best plan. hopefully these will see lots of mountain snow on ski trips this winter.

I'll post pics of my actual tires and the new to me rims when I mount them on the truck this weekend.

4Runninfun
November 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
holy cow you definitely went for some goodies there! those nokians have done EXCELLENT on our subarus. if you get stuck with those, you might want to consider staying in :thunb:

Brody
November 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Those look sweet! I don't know if I've ever seen so much sipping on a tire before and they are studded to boot. Looks like you better just stay moving as they look like they will stick to the road at a standstill! You can come pull me out of the ditch when my Mud Grapplers hydro on the ice and snow....

gragravar
November 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Those look sweet! I don't know if I've ever seen so much sipping on a tire before and they are studded to boot. Looks like you better just stay moving as they look like they will stick to the road at a standstill! You can come pull me out of the ditch when my Mud Grapplers hydro on the ice and snow....

Yeah, once I decided on actual snow tires I started doing some research, and nokian makes some of the best. the Hakka 5 is the fifth generation of their studded snow tire. they are also reasonable priced compared to blizzaks and other premium snows. I really shouldnt have any problem staying on the road with these.

and I'd be happy to pull you out if needed. That would be hilarious, my stock disco tugging on your built truck. :thunb: :lol:

gragravar
November 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
holy cow you definitely went for some goodies there! those nokians have done EXCELLENT on our subarus. if you get stuck with those, you might want to consider staying in :thunb:

glad to hear they worked out for you. that was the opinon of lots of audi folks I talked to and reviews I read too. I am looking forward to playing with these in the snow.

Pathrat
November 5th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Very nice set up Gragavar! I wish I had room to store summer wheels/winter wheels. Maybe is it time to clean the basement...stuff those tires under the air hockey table

Brody, throw me a tow strap as you slide past my sideways rig with my MTs hit 1/4 inch of snow.

Pathrat
November 5th, 2008, 09:44 PM
After reading this thread I got on Craigslist and searched for steel rims for my FJC and lookit what I found!!

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/904961408.html

gragravar
November 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM
After reading this thread I got on Craigslist and searched for steel rims for my FJC and lookit what I found!!

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/904961408.html

those will make some great winter rims

gragravar
November 8th, 2008, 06:20 PM
as for the rover, I got the snows put on today. this should be a huge improvement. last winter these "all seasons" sucked:
http://1strule.org/62/allseasons_disco.jpg

now it will be on studded Nokian Hakka 5's.

they should have some grip:

http://1strule.org/62/hakkas_disco.jpg

http://1strule.org/62/hakkas2_disco.jpg

and for those interested in an up close of the tread:
http://1strule.org/62/hakkas3_disco.jpg

Patrolman
November 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Nice shoes! I put the studded rubber on my truck last weekend. Also put the plow on it yesterday. Haven't driven it anywhere, but it is ready to go!

DETN8R
November 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Man gagraver. Those look like some seriously aggressive tires.

Check out the tires they sell at www.arctictrucks.com

Pathrat
November 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM
wow. Looks sticky! I plan to use the steel rims in the summer with the MTs and the bashed stock alloys for winter. I pick up those steelies tomorrow, then I am looking at a set of Firestones, what they describe as ATs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A%2FT&partnum=87TR7DESTATOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=1 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A%2FT&partnum=87TR7DESTATOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=1)

Patrolman
November 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM
One thing to keep in mind, the road de-icer stuff (mag-chloride) eats aluminum for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have all our winter tires on steel wheels. Much more forgiving to the mag-chloride, not to mention an occasional pot hole or curb check on icy roads.

Funrover
November 8th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I bet you will like the tires......They will be a vast improvement!

Pathrat
November 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM
One thing to keep in mind, the road de-icer stuff (mag-chloride) eats aluminum for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have all our winter tires on steel wheels. Much more forgiving to the mag-chloride, not to mention an occasional pot hole or curb check on icy roads.

I didn't notice any damage or indication of possible reaction on my rims after last winter. They are not full aluminum, but I don't know what the alloy compoenent of my rims are. I would guess that the fact that these rims are an alloy of more than one metal might make a difference?

Patrolman
November 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I am not sure how long it takes for results to appear on aluminum wheels. In any case, I still use steel. I have seen too many cracked wheels from pot holes and curbs. I also wheel with steel for the same reason.

Here is an article regarding mag chloride and how its corrosive properties.
http://www.usda.gov/rus/electric/engineering/2001/magnesium_chloride.htm

gragravar
November 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
OEM factory aluminum rims are powder coated and are not raw aluminum. the powder coating keeps the corrosive mag chloride off the aluminum itself. I wouldnt worry much about mag chloride with factory rims. all our cars have aluminum rims and have been just fine.