PDA

View Full Version : XJ fuel problems

Brody
September 23rd, 2008, 06:10 AM
Got a good one going here...and one that there seems to be no 'real' answer to.

LaDawn's 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee didn't start. No fuel to the fuel rail, though the motor made all the right sounds. None of the guages work, so not able to pull any codes with an OBD2. Checked the relays...seems to be working. Ran a hot line from the battery to the pump-nothing. Figured bad pump, so drained all the 16 or so gallons of gas (we had just filled it), dropped the tank, dropped $200+ on a new pump, reinstalled and no fuel/no sounds from the pump.

From what I pulled off the internet, sounds like the security system could have shut stuff down. Our transponders no longer work, so we have a minor problem with resetting the system. BTW, can you get a new battery for those things? Also found out that the keys don't work as they should in the door locks, so I can't reset this way, either. Ahhhh....where to start????

Anyone ever dealt with this crapola before? And how did you fix it? Everything on the web sounds like people tried about 10 different things all related to the thing not starting or not getting fuel....and threw a lot of $$ at it before it worked.

Funrover
September 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
When Jessica's jeep did this is was the crank position sensor and when a neighbors XJ did this I just took the security system out(it had a little computer chip looking thing you slid into a slot.. I removed that entire system).

The removal wasn't bad.... and it was FREE... Worked for a few years and they sold it.. haven't heard anything bad from the other owner yet.

BTW a Grand Cherokee is a ZJ I believe.... not sure if it makes a difference but it might

Brody
September 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Cool Aaron! Where did you manage to locate the security system chip? We looked all over for it and couldn't find it.

Our second thought, after the fuel pump, was that the security system was disabiling the pump and everything else. The transponder that we have no longer works and I don't know if the battery can be replaced yet. The keys don't work well in the door locks either, but that is another storey.

Anyway, some of the information that I picked up off of other sites suggested a couple of ways to reset the security stuff, but they all involved working keys and/or transponders. Aye, Matey...there's the rub...If we can trash all the security BS, that will be the first thing I do. It's a 1998 Grand Cherokee, if that helps.

I appreciate your input...so does LD!

Brody
September 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Aaron

How 'bout a little help here....

Where is the security chip located so I can get this problem out of my hair?

Funrover
September 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
If you have it.. It was located under the panel below the steering wheel. Looks similar to an OBDII set up just smaller with a single slot

Brody
September 26th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Thanks Aaron!

I'll post as to what I find or my progress. I am going to try not to turn it into a target...walking away when I get frustrated and start seeing bullseyes on body panels.....

Funrover
September 26th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks Aaron!

I'll post as to what I find or my progress. I am going to try not to turn it into a target...walking away when I get frustrated and start seeing bullseyes on body panels.....

LOL, I hear ya, Did that on Jessica's jeep. I put in a new fuel pump because there was no pressure, didn't fix the problem, then did a few more test and fund it to be the crankshaft position sensor and it all worked after that... DO'H!