PDA

View Full Version : 1988 FJ62

Chris
September 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Not really a build thread but thought I'd post anyway. I've been getting to my unfinished projects lately. Mostly stuff I asked about like shortening my winch cable, doing my dual battery install, cleaning up other wiring, etc.

I'm anxiously awaiting UPS to show up today with a new rear OME spring for the rear. I have what 60 series owners know as 'cruiser lean' and it's irritated me for a long time. The new spring should level the truck which will be nice. I'll install the spring tomorrow and have it level for the Cottonwood/Tin Cup Fall Run this weekend. :)

Chris
September 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Here's my 'before' pic, hopefully tomorrow's will show the almost 2" droop on the driver's side gone.

Chris
September 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Added another project - damned eBay, can't help going for a good deal :lol:

5280Hawk
September 25th, 2008, 11:57 AM
You now have both kinds of sliders, lucky guy!

Chris
September 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM
$127.50 for the set :D

No seller response isn't encouraging though :mad:

InsanityIsBorn
September 26th, 2008, 01:57 AM
When is the Cottonwood run? I will be going over Cottonwood pass in the morning(Friday) and probably again Sunday morning to go back to Gunnison, maybe I will see you guys!!

Im super jealous of the rear windows!!! I just got a AaL setup for my 88 FJ62!! :D(ging on next weekend though)

Chris
September 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Tomorrow Kiel, Saturday the 27th. Be there!

Chris
September 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Here's my 'before' pic, hopefully tomorrow's will show the almost 2" droop on the driver's side gone.

:jiggy" No more lean!

InsanityIsBorn
September 26th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Yay!!! I actually drove over Cottonwood Pass this morning, it is BEAUTIFUL!!! You all will have a great trip! I wish I could be there, but I am attending my cousins wedding all day Saturday. Maybe I will see some of you guys when I drive back through BV Sunday morning!

Chris
September 29th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Before leaving for BV I modified my rear bumper to remove the spare mount. I had the bumper of to grease the bearings and liked the visibility. Cut off everything relating to the spare and will add a jerry can to the left side.

Tye
September 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Your truck looked real nice Chris nice job.

Patrolman
September 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Where will the spare now be located?

Chris
September 29th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks Tye. The spare sits strapped in the back Jeff. :princess: said "If we want to sleep back there we'll toss it on the ground." Too simple a solution for me to disagree with.

Next up, the front bumper. I'm just going to remove the 'wings' on each side and see how I like it. The only thing holding the cracked side on is the hi-lift mount Jim put on for me a bit ago. No, he did not make my front bumper. :)

Funrover
September 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't totally get rid of all side protection. I would make it angle up at a 45 degree angle or so. for a few reasons

1. You will still have protection under your fender
2. with the angle you will still have a great approach but it will help you "slide" off the rock instead of getting hung up
3. You can keep your a-bar/hi-lift mount
4.cosmetics, it'll just look more complete

I can try to find a pic of what I mean if you want!

Chris
September 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks, I'll whack them off for now. I know I'll need some protection there and will deal with it in a timely matter before doing any damage (I hope) but as a temporary thing I don't think it's particularly safe right now either.

BTW, I think I told you I did Grizzly before. I hadn't :o

Funrover
September 29th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks, I'll whack them off for now. I know I'll need some protection there and will deal with it in a timely matter before doing any damage (I hope) but as a temporary thing I don't think it's particularly safe right now either.

BTW, I think I told you I did Grizzly before. I hadn't :o

It's all good. The part where you messed up your bumper is honestly the hardest part of the entire trail!

I would almost re weld the bumper temporarily to keep from damage.. but cutting off is cheaper and easier if you don't have access to a welder

4Runninfun
September 29th, 2008, 02:47 PM
It's all good. The part where you messed up your bumper is honestly the hardest part of the entire trail!

I would almost re weld the bumper temporarily to keep from damage.. but cutting off is cheaper and easier if you don't have access to a welder

chris if you'd like to re-weld your bumper to keep the coverage let me know i'd throw a quick weld on there for ya! sure hate to ruin a fender your next trip out!

Chris
September 30th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the offer Jon, still thinking about what i want to do.

Chris
October 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
You now have both kinds of sliders, lucky guy!

They're going out tomorrow! :D

Chris
October 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Aussie Sliding Windows arrived :)

InsanityIsBorn
October 11th, 2008, 11:51 PM
WOOHOO!!!

Chris
November 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Last things done are more finishing more loose ends than mods but that's the way I work. Replaced my front shackles with longer to match the rears. My cruiser now sits level. :)

Chris
November 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Also removed the hi-lift from the front bumper and now store it inside with the spare which was removed from the rear bumper to make room for additional jerry cans since I'm moving towards a expedition style truck.

Chris
December 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
New shoes for Emily: Getting a set of 5 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Bighorn Mudders with black wheels and spacers for all 4 wheels.

Patrolman
December 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
I missed the sliding windows before. Those are going to be really cool! Wish I could have a set of those for the rear of my 4Runner. The new shoes are cool too! Gonna make a BIG difference.

Pathrat
December 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Wow! NICE looking new shoes!

Brody
December 22nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
Nice Chris, I think that you will like them a lot! Nice windows, too...

Hey...I expected you to be the one to tell me what year the LC with the island paint job was...model, too. I am curious...

Chris
December 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hoping the fit will work w/o too much rubbing. The windows will be my a/c come summer but need to be 'restored' before installing.

I'm curious too Pete, I know 60 series LC's and can tell you that's not one. I'll ask over on 'Mud.

Chris
December 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Installed ;)

Chris
December 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Hey...I expected you to be the one to tell me what year the LC with the island paint job was...model, too. I am curious...

Here you go Pete!

"75/79 series "troop carrier", with the roof and upper sides trimmed off. In Aruba, it's very likely to be of Venezuelan origin and thus petrol. SOA conversion, too."

Brody
December 23rd, 2008, 06:11 AM
Cool. Thanks Chris. Since Venezuela is only 12 miles away that makes sense. That thing would be a collector's item in the states...

I picked up on the SOA. The rig had some old Denman Ground Hawgs on it, too.

Chris
December 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
Apparently it's a 75 series - a bit of clarification from those in the know.

Chris
February 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks to Jim/SROR for doing a great job redoing my swing arm today. I now can carry 2 jerry cans and open my rear window without opening the swing arm. Very cool since it's better than I had imagined.

I also pity the poor sucker that rear ends me with all the steel back there! :D

Chris
March 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Catching up a bit - Brody helped me set up my OBA. Converted the A/C compressor and it works great on my testing. Still need to add an air tank Pete gave me. Posted about this elsewhere. Installed a Redarc (Australian Brand) isolator for my dual batteries and today got my rear sliding windows installed. Another Aussie product that came standard there but wasn't available in the US.

The rear windows are my new A/C. ;)

Chris
March 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Yeah, sure seems that way but as long as I find people that visit I can get what I want. :)

Chris
March 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Next up is a shackle reversal. it looks like I have a line on a used set made by 4+ which is what us 60 series people have as an off the shelf option. after plenty of thought I decided these would be most appropriate even though they hang down a bit.

Some good ideas from the folks here will make them usable and effective by adding some additional armor and bracing.

InsanityIsBorn
January 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hey Chris I am going to cut my front wheel wells within the next 3-4 days and was talking to Max. He said you did yours and did the two different ways one for each side and said one was easier. Which one was the easier one and which one looks nicer? The tab cutting one, or just cutting it all out and welding in new rolled steel?

Any pics of the processes would be helpful too!

thanks

-Kiel-

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hey Kiel, you know if this was any other forum you'd get chastised (at the minimum) for not using "Search" :lmao:

But I'm not that kind of guy: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?5830-Fender-Trimming

Any other questions let me know!

InsanityIsBorn
January 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I did search. I searched for threads by you and there was like 60 million pages s I stopped but should have searched fender trim huh... hehe oh well next time!

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Yeah, "fender" & "Chris" would give better results. ;)

Without reading the thread to see what I posted I suggest using the method where you cut tabs on the fender and wheel well and bend the towards each other. It gives a nicer edge and "knitting" them together is stronger IMHO.

Rob
January 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hey Kiel, you know if this was any other forum you'd get chastised (at the minimum) for not using "Search"

This thing has a search function?!?

InsanityIsBorn
January 4th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Next question then. I'm not sure I understand the part about the edging to help with strengthening it? I don't really understand that at all...

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Some people suggest welding a round rod along the new edge of the wheel well where it meets the body. I suppose it's a good idea but I didn't do anything along that line, it appears quite strong as it is.

InsanityIsBorn
January 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Alright looks like I will be doing the double spliced and knit version. Hmmm maybe I will do that tomorrow, seeing as I am unemployed and have no reason to leave town till school starts on Monday. :)

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
It took me an afternoon, probably 6 hours. Once I started cutting I wanted to keep going, you are warned. :lmao:

InsanityIsBorn
January 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Well the plan now is to do the front wheel well. Next time I come to Denver I will cut the rear quarter panels and fill in the holes from the snake blinders. After that I will rhino line the bottom lines like you did, but I am going to do white. Then about May 9-15 (hopefully finish in that time) I am going to Spring Over Axle my baby and find a spare rear diff to weld up and install my front ARB. Then she will be a beauty! so lots of cutting welding and such in the future. Hopefully my 33s won't be dwarfed by the lift!

InsanityIsBorn
January 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah, "fender" & "Chris" would give better results. ;)

Without reading the thread to see what I posted I suggest using the method where you cut tabs on the fender and wheel well and bend the towards each other. It gives a nicer edge and "knitting" them together is stronger IMHO.

Also I did read every word posted in that thread but could not find where you said which you liked better. :P

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I'm not surprised :D

Lots of plans, good for you. The SOA isn't my thing or the welded diff but that's cool. I do have a set of doors that I'll be cutting sometime. BTW, Ace sells some nice plugs to poke in the snake blinder holes and once painted aren't even noticed.

InsanityIsBorn
January 4th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Im just gonna fill the holes and be done with it. The welded rear diff is just temporary till I can afford a second ARB, I will keep my original and weld a second one. Oh and I need to make a full set of new half doors.... haha. The list keeps growing.. But I think for now it is achievable!

Brody
January 5th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Here is a link for some ideas:

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/faithoffroad/Toyota/Half%20Doors/

Chris
February 6th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Looking forward to getting home and seeing my truck. My son-in-law took it to work to fix the sunroof leak for me and surprised me by installing my aussie rear sliding windows I left at the shop last Fall. Now I'll have air conditioning and not worry about thes falling out!

Now I just have to work on some damned wiring and pulling the dash again.

InsanityIsBorn
February 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
So this time your windows aren't gonna fall out on the trail?? By the way I love all of the mods you have done to your cruiser. Can't wait to see pics after whatever you have planned next!!

Chris
February 7th, 2010, 01:55 PM
No falling out - epoxied in place. :fing:

I have few plans, pretty much done though I do have a set of doors asking to be cut down. :lmao:

Haven't seen yours in a long time Kiel. ;)