PDA

View Full Version : goodbye red rover

llesra
September 29th, 2008, 12:34 AM
today at about 4:00pm, i was in an accident. i was coming home from a trouble free run of red cone and webster pass. i was in the left lane of buckley going south. there was a suburban making a right turn into the neighborhood, which must have blocked the view of, strangely enough, a jeep, waiting to make a left onto buckley. the girl got on the gas, i swerved to avoid her, but it wasnt enough. she hit my passenger side, causing the rover to tip over, but thankfully not roll. my parents and myself were inside. they were both hanging from the seatbelts but just got a few scratches. i just had a few marks on my left arm and a mouth full of gravel and plastic from the snorkel. heres a picture from my oil soaked cell phone after a tow truck got it upright again.

4Runninfun
September 29th, 2008, 01:25 AM
First off dude glad you and your family are ok. but man what a drag, your rig was so CLEAN! you'd think that a lifted red disco on 35's would be kinda hard to miss.

Brody
September 29th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Man, that is a bad thing to happen. I'm glad that you and everybody else is ok. What a way to end a day, too. Just shows that stuff like like can happen right out of the blue with no warning at all. Happy for the seat belts, I bet.....

I, too am familiar with rollovers...posted some pics of my nice F150 that I endoed. Walked away from that, but had to crawl out of a 14" hole in the front window to get out of the rig..all the time smelling fuel...

Jimmy
September 29th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Ouch! Sorry man... many of us have these stories where we lost a prized vehicle. The good thing is that we're still around to talk about them! My first Scrambler (what a gem it was) was totaled after owning it only 4 months - had a driver make a left in front of me in an intersection... he said he never saw me. :( Not too different from what happened to you. Sorry to see that it happened to you.

The bad thing (depending on your insurance company) is trying to get damage to aftermarket parts (winch, lift, etc.) covered in the payout for the accident. Receipts usually help a lot.

Do you think the damage is so bad you can't make a few repairs and drive it? I can't tell how badly the impact was... if there's no frame damage and the body didn't shift on the frame or rip the brackets for the body mounts off the frame, maybe a few light repairs would be all that would be needed to get it back on the road.

I'm sure this has already been said to you - most likely the vehicle will be totaled given its age. It won't take much damage for the repair costs to exceed the vehicle value. If this state allows it, buy it back from the insurance company. Mine charged me IIRC 10% of the value assessed to the vehicle. Your lift (it it's all still good) is worth more than that value I would guess. So, you get it back and can do two things: either repair it and put it back on the road (if CO allows that) or buy another stock Disco and transfer all the fun parts that are still good onto the stock Disco. Or... doesn't your Dad have a Disco too? Buy yours back and put the good fun parts onto his...

Don't think of this as the end of the line! You're still around which is awesome, which means you can figure out which way you want to go on this. Even if you decide to get out of offroading (I don't recommend that though :) ), you could part out your Disco to make it worth buying it back from the insurance company.

Good luck!

Funrover
September 29th, 2008, 08:36 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!!! Damn man I am glad you and your family is okay. That is the most important .. I am really sad to see this happen to that disco... it was one of the most beautiful I know of! I am still in shock man...... Let me know if you need help with anything!

Tye
September 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Thats just a shame :( glad you and your parents are o.k.

Patrolman
September 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Too bad, but glad that you are OK!

Some tips on CO and insurance: Only vehicles that are 7 years old or newer can get a salvage title. The insurance company might "threaten" with a salvage title, but that isn't the case. They threaten to try to persuade you to make a different decision.

Also, the state will allow any car to be driven after an accident. If it was "salvaged", then it has to pass a state inspection before it can be given a "rebuilt from salvage" title. But this shouldn't be the case with this since it is more than 7 years old.

Chris
September 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Real sorry to hear this though, as everyone said, glad everyone's okay.

KnuckleHead
September 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Sorry to here about this, along with the rest glad to hear everyone is ok. I know first hand about rollovers and I'm glad you didn't.

Jeepin Chef
September 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM
WOW ...Glad no one was hurt , Im happy you walked away,
Thats my worst fear.....
Shame about the Rig...no big deal ...now you can by a Jeep just kidding.. Be safe

SCRubicon
September 29th, 2008, 07:34 PM
HOLY CRAP!!! Vehicles can be replaced, life can't. I'm glad you all made it out. Sorry about your ride :(

Pathrat
September 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM
echoing everyone else...good to see you all are ok

Jamie
September 30th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Glad you are OK Jimmy! Buy it back, trail rig.

Chris
September 30th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Glad you are OK Jimmy! Buy it back, trail rig.

That's Arsell, not Jimmy ;)

Roostercruiser
September 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM
glad to see yall are alright cars can be replaced people cant. at least you walked away it looked pretty bad.

llesra
September 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM
thanks everybody for the kind words. we're still waiting on the insurance adjuster to inspect the rover. here are some pics from yesterday.

Funrover
September 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

Funrover
September 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Man after looking at those pics... a few times...... I really can't believe it.. Glad you are okay!!

Tye
September 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
How fast was she going??? Thats just crazy, I must say your Disco looked better clean...sorry just thought of that. I know you put alot into that rig and it breaks my heart at what you must be feeling right now. I want to add again how happy I am that your family is o.k.

SCRubicon
September 30th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Man after looking at those pics... a few times...... I really can't believe it.. Glad you are okay!!

X2 smabillion!!! Again, glad you're ok...and I hope everything works out with the insurance company.

Jimmy
September 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Ouch! I remember visiting my Scrambler in the tow yard and taking a pile of pics. I was afraid it would get picked over for some of the unique-to-a-Scrambler parts that were on it and I wanted a record of them being on the vehicle when in the yard. Fortunately that didn't happen.

And bite your tongue Jamie! :) Already been through this situation once in my life... don't ever want to go through it again!

Funrover
September 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Did they rip your roof flipping it upright?

llesra
September 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM
How fast was she going??? Thats just crazy, I must say your Disco looked better clean...sorry just thought of that. I know you put alot into that rig and it breaks my heart at what you must be feeling right now. I want to add again how happy I am that your family is o.k.

i have no idea about the speed of the girl, but according to the police report, she said she was "barely moving".

Did they rip your roof flipping it upright?

my dad was awkwardly positioned in the car so the firemen cut the roof open to get him out.

Jack
October 1st, 2008, 03:38 AM
Thats why i drive a 4x4 and not a smart car

Brody
October 1st, 2008, 07:06 AM
'Barely moving'? ...my rosey red ass...

Looks like it can still be brought back to better than it was shape, especially if the insurance doesn't screw you over. If the frame and major parts aren't bent or totally jacked, the body panels are minor ...even the roof. Glad you Dad was ok.

Keep us posted...

gragravar
October 1st, 2008, 03:46 PM
wow, just getting to this after being gone for a few days. like everyone mentioned, glad you and your family were OK. good to see the rover will hold up well in an accident.

Pathrat
October 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
I am curious- I can't tell from the pics but how did your front bumper hold up?

Funrover
October 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
if you look closely you can see where it is bent up

Funrover
October 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Anymore news?

llesra
October 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
still waiting on the insurance but i got an 08 mitusbishi galant rental. its a decent car

Funrover
October 3rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
No rover though...

Funrover
October 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
So it's been a little... whats happening?

Brody
October 23rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
Last time I had problems that the insurance company needed to take a look at, I had the tow truck driver park my wrecked truck directly in front (like where people that worked there had to squeeze by) of the front doors of the insurance office.

Got a phone call from them the very next day:
WTF???

Remember the last time when you took 3 weeks to look at my truck for an estimate? And how no one seemed to remember where my rather large truck was a couple of times?

Yes

Thought that I would put the truck in a place where it wasn't so easy to ignore or lose this time and maybe get it done sooner. Worked, didn't it?

Tye
October 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Insurance companies like getting payments , not making them...funny how tha works out.
I know it sounds childesh but thats all I got.

llesra
October 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
the insurance company was pretty slow about actually looking over the truck and giving us a number but we got the truck back last week. when we got it, the battery was dead so i put in an old one we had around. the truck started right up with a nice blue puff of smoke. now im just taking off the goods and moving them over to the white disco. the truck is on the old stock springs and tires now and sits 8" lower haha

Pathrat
October 23rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Last time I had problems that the insurance company needed to take a look at, ......

Thought that I would put the truck in a place where it wasn't so easy to ignore or lose this time and maybe get it done sooner. Worked, didn't it?

I can see this, great story, love it.

Funrover
October 23rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
WOW. ol red looks a lot different! Can't wait to see the white one built up!

llesra
October 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
hey aaron, you wanna put in a sals in the back of your rover? i think ill just drop in a toy third this time.

Funrover
October 24th, 2008, 12:06 AM
hey aaron, you wanna put in a sals in the back of your rover? i think ill just drop in a toy third this time.

Hell yeah!!!! I would love to!

Funrover
October 24th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Hey do you need any help with anything?

Brody
October 24th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Happy to see everything moving in the right direction, at least.

Where did the white rover come from? Did you already have this one?

If you need some help with stuff, get in touch and maybe I can work it into my schedule.Don't know when you are doing the work on it, but call and we'll see.

Pete 303-505-3066

Tye
October 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM
The whole deal still brings a tear to my eye...