PDA

View Full Version : Best trail on the Western Slope

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I have a Jeep Cherokee with 3.5" lift and 31" tires. I am looking for a trail that offers challenges but not too many risks as I cannot afford them, haha. Anyone know of a good trail that takes a few hours around the southwest area of Colorado? Thanks.

4Runninfun
October 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM
you have TONS down there. many are around the ouray area. if you go to www.traildamage.com you can take a look at all the trails down there. i wish i was as close as you are!

Patrolman
October 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I used to live in Durango. Did many of the trails in the area. I think the best trail is Black Bear. Keep in mind it is 1-way. Imogene is really cool as well, particularly in the historical mining stuff. Engineer is good as well if you have time. Ophir is one of the easier ones that is still scenic and different. Many of these will begin to close soon if they haven't already due to snow.

Chris
October 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I'll agree with Patrolman's trails. None particularly hard but great fun. One of my favorites down that way is Cement Creek which also falls into the easy but scenic trails. You sound pretty well set up to avoid damage as long as you use common sense. ;)

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I've heard of some of those, thanks everyone. I have been here 4 years, but haven't done a ton of wheeling for lack of others to come with me. I am going to try to get in Schofield pass from Mt. Crested Butte to Marble before it snows again (even though it snowed an inch the other day). I'll let everyone know how it was if I get to do it.

Chris
October 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Schofield Pass has more tales about it than Black Bear but has the Crystal Mill as a bonus.

Pathrat
October 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Engineer was pretty fun last year, I am looking forward to doing the whole loop at some point.

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Schofield Pass has more tales about it than Black Bear but has the Crystal Mill as a bonus.
I've heard a lot of good things about Schofield, but if you run into someone on the trail in certain spots, there may be a mile or so of backing up on narrow mountain trails in order. Should be a good one! :thunb:

4Runninfun
October 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
if you can you should try to spend a week down in that area, since you are so close. ouray is my favorite place in all of colorado, they are the most beautiful trails down there. I am going to be headed down that way hopefully next may. whenever you go make sure to take lots of pictures we'll all be very jealous! :thunb: