PDA

View Full Version : Rules of the west!

Funrover
October 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Rules of Montana , Oregon , Idaho, Washington, Wyoming, and Colorado the Wild West are as follows:

1. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.

2. Turn your cap right, your head ain't crooked.

3. Let's get this straight: it's called a 'gravel road.' I drive a pickup truck because I want to. No matter how slow you drive, you're gonna get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

4. They are cattle. That's why they smell to you. They smell like money to us. Get over it. Don't like it? I-90 goes east and west, I-5 goes north and south. Pick one.

5. So you have a $60,000 car. We're impressed. We have $250,000 combines that are driven only 3 weeks a year.

6. Every person in the Wild West waves. It's called being friendly. Try to understand the concept.

7. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of geese/pheasants/ ducks/doves are comin' in during the hunts, we WILL shoot it outa your hand. You better hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.

8. Yeah. We eat trout, salmon, deer and elk. You really want sushi and caviar you can get them at the bait store on the corner.

9. The 'Opener' refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday held the closest Saturday to the first of November.

10. We open doors for women. That's applied to all women, regardless of age.

11. No, there's no 'vegetarian special' on the menu. Order steak, or you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham & turkey.

12. When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats, vegetables, and breads. We use three spices: salt, pepper, and ketchup! Oh, yeah.... We don't care what you folks in Cincinnati call that stuff you eat.... IT AIN'T REAL CHILI!!

13. You bring 'Coke' into my house, it better be brown, wet and served over ice. You bring 'Mary Jane' into my house, she better be cute, know how to shoot, drive a truck, and have long hair.

14. College and High School Football is as important here as the Lakers and the Knicks, and a dang site more fun to watch.

15. Yeah, we have golf courses. But don't hit the water hazards -- it spooks the fish.

16. Colleges? We have them all over. We have State Universities , Universities, and Vo-techs. They come outta there with an education plus a love for God and country, and they still wave at everybody when they come home for the holidays.

17. We have more folks in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines than all of you put together, so don't mess with us. If you do, you'll get whipped by the best.

18. Turn down that blasted car stereo! That thumpity-thump crap ain't music, anyway. We don't want to hear it anymore than we want to see your boxers! Refer back to #1!

Telly
October 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Good stuff. I remember when I moved here from Kansas 12 years ago, I would wave to strangers on the road and they would look at me like I was flipping them off.

Driving in Colorado has hardened me over the years. I remember when I used my signals, let people merge and give people room on the road. Those were the good ol' days.

Funrover
October 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Man I still do all of that, but I am a native to this great state.

4Runninfun
October 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
yeah i used to be courteous too, until the california mentality took over. however when i get out of the city it's a different story.

Funrover
October 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
yeah i used to be courteous too, until the california mentality took over. however when i get out of the city it's a different story.

Exactly! :thunb: Them and those damn Texans hahaha

Telly
October 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Man I still do all of that, but I am a native to this great state.

You might be the only one.

Tye
October 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Exactly! :thunb: Them and those damn Texans hahaha

I do drive courteous, although it can be hard sometimes... it has gotten easier since the price of gas has gone up and people like Aaron are riding their pedal scooters to get around :thunb:
Hey Aaron you can kiss southern :cool: , thats what I'm talking about I try to be courteous :lol:

4Runninfun
October 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
well hey at least when texans come they generally bring either alcohol or guns. either way it's gonna be a good time, what did we get when the cali's came? tofu, and traffic jams!:rolleyes:

Telly
October 16th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I have actually seen much better behavior on I-25 since the widening in Denver and C/S. I commuted to the Tech Center for 2 years in 98 and 99. I could not believe how rude people were. I call those my "road rage" years.

I saw a bumper sticker several years ago that said, "Happiness is a Texan heading south with a Californian under each arm".

Roostercruiser
October 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
im a old bullrider and worked on my families ranch . and now im an aspalt cowboy its a way of life to us and have no idea what to do cars. yee haw

4Runninfun
October 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I saw a bumper sticker several years ago that said, "Happiness is a Texan heading south with a Californian under each arm".

:lol::thunb:

Pathrat
October 16th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for posting up Aaron, I really liked that.

I have to admit, I spent 16 years in northern California and was very much a California girl in some respectsl. Then I moved to Utah. Yes, that IS the West but I lived in Salt Lake, where they had their own culture. It still is a different culture, but just not as blatant I think.

I didn't understand the waving thing. I first saw it in Missouri in 1983, and thought it was weird. I also had to turn around to finish watching the guy wave as my family's minivan drove by him. One reason I like Moab and some of the other small towns where the Mormons will be polite to the Gentiles is that people DO wave. I make the effort now, when I am out on the road.

I think that the truck I drive helps enforce road manners and enables me to be an assertive, rather than an aggressive driver. I try to anticipate the pattern ahead. Of course, some wingnut will jack it all up and I will yell bad things at my windshield. :o I will let people merge and such because in what I drive, I am a visible representative of people who do go off-road. Sure, there are much more obvious rigs than mine, but I am still marked. I don't want someone yelling through their windshield in my direction, "l&%*@ Bubba-ette tearing up the road, probably runs over trees while throwing her beer cans out the window".

I would never want to live east of the Mississippi ever again.

Funrover
October 16th, 2008, 10:42 PM
well hey at least when texans come they generally bring either alcohol or guns. either way it's gonna be a good time, what did we get when the cali's came? tofu, and traffic jams!:rolleyes:

So far I can think of one good thing from Cali, and that is the Bridge family (Jamie and crew) but there is always exceptions to the rules I guess

Brody
October 17th, 2008, 05:28 AM
They say Chicago is one of the politest cities to drive in simply because everyone assumes that eveyone is armed..

Interesting thread....people sure were more polite awhile ago. Now you wave at someone and they look at you like they just swallowed a fly...

Tye
October 17th, 2008, 09:58 AM
When I moved to Colorado in 98 I saw a white cargo van and written with a black marker
"Colorado SUCKS.... now go back to California and tell evryone you know"
and I thought what the hell ?????

Funrover
October 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM
When I moved to Colorado in 98 I saw a white cargo van and written with a black marker
"Colorado SUCKS.... now go back to California and tell everyone you know"
and I thought what the hell ?????

The sticker I want to get says

"Welcome to Colorado, Have a safe trip home"

SCRubicon
October 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM
They say Chicago is one of the politest cities to drive in simply because everyone assumes that eveyone is armed..

Fear is never overrated...:D

The sticker I want for the TJ, "Last time I checked, it's still a free country."

4Runninfun
October 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
So far I can think of one good thing from Cali, and that is the Bridge family (Jamie and crew) but there is always exceptions to the rules I guess

That is very true, and the same can be said for most of the out-of-staters here on the board. the big difference is when people from out of state come here do they A) come because they enjoy OUR lifestyle and want to join or B) come because because of a job and instead bring their mentality and problems from where ever they came? when people come because they enjoy the COLORADO lifestyle, they are more than welcome in my eyes. they're not promoting the californication of the nation and this state. often times i think they appreciate it more because they know how much other places are lacking.

Pathrat
October 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Interesting evaluation 4RunninFun. I came here with my kids and their dad, my ex-h, when he was transfered with the goverment. I wanted to be closer to Utah so this is one of the duty stations we put in for. I stayed because the courts said so. I like this place better than others I have lived in, by far, and I guess I have adapted to what is availible here. Except skiing. Aaron, cold sucks!

Funrover
October 18th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Except skiing. Aaron, cold sucks!

LMAO!! I like it!

Tye
October 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM

Use much Chapstick?????

Tye
October 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM

Just keep that in the back of your mind when ya'll have moved and living in Wyoming...:eek:

Funrover
October 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Just keep that in the back of your mind when ya'll have moved and living in Wyoming...:eek:

Damn you.. SHUT IT!!!!! :mad::mad: I am not going!

Tye
October 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM

:p......

SCRubicon
October 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM

:lol:

SCRubicon
October 23rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Don't worry, we won't shut and lock the gate behind you or anything... :D

Funrover
October 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Don't worry, we won't shut and lock the gate behind you or anything... :D

I know you wouldn't..... no way you leave me alone with all those sheep.. I know you want your chance hahaha :lol:

Brody
October 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Wyoming:

Where men are men and the sheep are nervous...

Most popular postcard in Montana:

A picture of the sign " You are now leaving Butte Montana" taken in a rear view mirror..

4Runninfun
October 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
best place i ever saw in the rear view was philly. what a horrible place.

SCRubicon
October 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
best place i ever saw in the rear view was philly. what a horrible place.

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Pathrat
October 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM

Wow Tye, you just got him all wound up now didn't you? Nice button pushing! :lol:

Pathrat
October 23rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Best place to leave is one of the best places to visit, for me anyways: The Metro Washington DC area

Brody
October 24th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Philly...you betcha. Hard to see why folks would like to live there.

Washington, DC and NYC are both great to visit, but living there would be something else again....

I have spent a bunch of time in the past around Washington simply because I had friends of the family who lived in Bethesda, Maryland. Nice to visit, nicer to leave.

Whole upper Eastern seaboard is the same way: Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island, New Brunswick, etc. Pretty, very picturesque, and as poor, sad, and hard scrabble as the Applachians...The houses and farms looked like pictures of the USA during the Depression, every other one boarded up and old, beat up 'For Sale' signs in the yards. No place to live, but nice to visit.

SCRubicon
October 24th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I remember driving to Falls Church, Virginia for some shite or another. People in DC have a death wish behind the wheel. I've never seen so many dented new cars on the road in one place...

4Runninfun
October 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM
if you can picture this my family and i took an east coast tour back in 2000. so we had a '94 blue dodge pickup with a sleeper cab in the back, and an old '86 23' camper. we drove this through downtown philly, and by all the row houses. talk about feeling out of place with EVERY single eye on you!

Pathrat
October 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I remember driving to Falls Church, Virginia for some shite or another. People in DC have a death wish behind the wheel. I've never seen so many dented new cars on the road in one place...

I agree! I took a ride to work twice when I worked in DC for a few months. I took the bus and metro every day after that. Even when I lived in Quantico I think I drove into DC only once. That city needs public transportation to reduce the traffic accident stats.

Pathrat
October 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM
if you can picture this my family and i took an east coast tour back in 2000. so we had a '94 blue dodge pickup with a sleeper cab in the back, and an old '86 23' camper. we drove this through downtown philly, and by all the row houses. talk about feeling out of place with EVERY single eye on you!

I have not seen big city poverty but I do recall driving through the very deep South when I was 20, after living in northern California and Utah, and not comprehending that people actually lived in structures I thought had been abandoned since Nixon was in office