PDA

View Full Version : Someone I know needs help

Pathrat
October 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
My best friend has a five year old son with autism. The mom is now a meth addict and he has full custody of the boy and his 7 year old girl. The guy makes $18+ an hour; not enough to support two kids, one having special needs, but too much for state assistance. He is on the waiting lists for ARC and DDRC, etc etc. My friend put his boy on a no casein, no gluten diet because research indicates that a small percentage of children with autism respond to such a diet and the effects of autism can be dimished through such a diet. Unfortunately, you cannot predict which kids will respond. I talked to him today and after 60 days, he had to take his son off the diet because it came down to buying food for one kid or his entire family of three. I think this should not be. I know this guy, if he had money to pull out of the air, he would.

The types of food they need tend to cost more than what the budget-minded family can get- think Whole Foods and Vitamin Cottage. Sure, they do use meats and produce, which can be expensive in and of itself, but the packaged stuff for school lunches can be a challenge.

Point is, I am putting up $200, both in cash and in food donations and I am posting this story up in chat to ask if anyone can help. My friend was on the forum briefly but dropped out because of the lack of time and he cannot afford to get his Bronco trail ready.

If anyone wants to bring things to a trail run for me to take back to his family, or if anyone can donate even $10 to my paypal (just pm me if you do) it would really help. For those of you that know me, I give my word that every penny will make it to his son.

Thank you to anyone that is willing to assist.
(my paypal is under pathologyrat@yahoo.com)

Stephanie

Chris
October 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
What kind of results did he see for the 60 days he maintained the no casein, no gluten diet with his son?

An aside - Is he seeking full custody? CO is surprisingly progressive when it comes to custody and fathers.

Pathrat
October 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
What kind of results did he see for the 60 days he maintained the no casein, no gluten diet with his son?

An aside - Is he seeking full custody? CO is surprisingly progressive when it comes to custody and fathers.

It takes 90 to 120 days to see results, which is why it is kind of critical that he has enough to maintain at least 30 more days if not 60.

He has already been granted full custody. She did not take care of them back when she was allowed to have shared custody. She is not even seeing them; she won't comply with the supervised visitation terms. There are no wages to garnish for child support owed either.

Chris
October 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
:oops: Sorry, I missed you saying that he had custody, re-read it. I'll try to help...

PM coming...

Pathrat
October 19th, 2008, 09:33 PM
:oops: Sorry, I missed you saying that he had custody, re-read it. I'll try to help...

PM coming...

No problem. Glad you asked about the diet duration. The story is pretty screwed up, but it isn't that uncommon that someone is dealing with circumstances beyond their control and just cannot get enough help on thier own. Thanks Chris!!!:cheers:

Chris
October 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
No argument there, w/o any intent to sidetrack this thread I will encourage everyone to support Amendment 51 on their ballot to help children and adults with developmental disabilities.

solid rock
October 19th, 2008, 10:00 PM
paypal sent

Pathrat
October 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
paypal sent

That is so great Jim, THANK YOU! There are so many people needing help and so many worthwhile causes so thank you for helping this one family who needs it!!!! :cheers:

Pathrat
November 19th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have an update on this story. We were able to give this family $185 worth of food and grocery money. Thanks for your help Jim. This week my friend was the recipient of a grant for his son. This will help pay for counseling and speech therapy and all the other extra expenses that come along with a kid that needs a bit more.