PDA

View Full Version : Saxon Mtn/Cascade Creek Area

Chris
October 26th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Yesterday we took a drive to the Saxon Mountain/Cascade Creek area by Georgetown simply to get away to somewhere we'd not been before. Unlike Jimmy's fine reports I don't have much to say other than it was nice but also one of those "don't see a need to return" places as well.

Lots of switchbacks leaving Georgetown and a nice tangle of FS roads at altitude with some rather spectacular views. I can't tell exactly what trails we took since we're pretty undisciplined about that. We adhere to the "your turn, left or right" philosophy of decision making. The names I recall are Saxon, Cascade Creek, Lamartine(?) but there were more. A good number of spurs as well, some that required backing out, others that ended abruptly but it was a good day nonetheless since we found some old cabins and mines which we always hope to find.

One pic showing the switchbacks.

Funrover
October 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Always a good traill to just get away on!

Jimmy
October 26th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I've been on that trail system a few times and still haven't covered them all. Usually I've hit those after doing Spring Creek. It's a nice area to poke around.

Pathrat
October 26th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Sounds like the way I have driven around the Lamartine system. It is an easy and close in area I think.

Funrover
October 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Sounds like the way I have driven around the Lamartine system. It is an easy and close in area I think.

Yep.. same area

Tye
October 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
That is a great place to get away and stay close to home, we usally stop at the
ice cream shop after words when coming into Georgetown :thunb: