PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy this book?

Funrover
October 28th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I am thinking of writing a book. I have a small start. The book will be a trail guide like the Wells book, HOWEVER I will also add in camping (both Free and pay sites) and also throw in small bits of other activities such as biking and hikes!

Would this be of interest?

Comments welcome... and appreciated.

Brody
October 29th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Check what your competition is doing along the same lines. Taylor your book to do what their's don't do.

I can get you in touch with my publisher when you get closer. Also take some time to go to Barnes and Noble to get other publishers names. Globe Pequot bought Falcon Publishing and now handles all of the Falcon Guides. There are two local publishers that do outdoor guides also, Sharp End and the company that does Gerry Roach's guides.

Just some suggestions. And yes, if it had more or different info than Wells, was more current, had more info, say from traildamage, as far as access and directions, you bet!

SCRubicon
October 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Only if you sign my copy :D Seriously, I really liked what you showed me so far. A lot of great info!

Funrover
October 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Only if you sign my copy :D Seriously, I really liked what you showed me so far. A lot of great info!

It has a long way to go still. But I am seriously considering making a go at it!

Pathrat
October 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Sure, I'm interested! I would put better directions in for your sites, for those of us who are more 'navigationally challenged'. Sometimes Mr. Wells drives me and Hugh nuts when he says veer left when the way to go is straight because to go right would take you about ten feet to a dead end.

Funrover
October 29th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Sure, I'm interested! I would put better directions in for your sites, for those of us who are more 'navigationally challenged'. Sometimes Mr. Wells drives me and Hugh nuts when he says veer left when the way to go is straight because to go right would take you about ten feet to a dead end.

Yeah I was gonna change that a little, maybe borrow a GPS and do a

"at 1.3 miles go right" type of thing

Funrover
October 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Pete - Wondering if I may pick your brain about hikes and such. In this book at the beginning of each "area" I was gonna have a short list of trails that are non 4WD. Make this more of a weekend getaway book and less of a day trip book.

Brody
October 30th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Aaron

Feel free. Home number is 303-761-4818, email: peterbrody4@gmail.com

Chris
October 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM

I agree 100%, my problem with Wells is "re-set odometer at point A, drive 2.4 miles..." My Odo is not accurate due to tire size and the odo method doesn't work too well.

I'm no longer into camping and hiking but I'd buy one anyway.

Chris
October 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I have an idea for a book if anyone's interested, SCrubicon and Mrs 4LoLo come to mind since I recall they're well versed in rockhounding. My idea is a real basic book on the rocks of Colorado with lots of photos.

We have plenty of books but none really simple enough to find out something like: "what's this sparkly stuff on this black rock" or "what's this gray/brown streak all about" or "what's this gold color lump embedded in this quartz" etc.

I suspect the book would be similar to what's already out there but with a massively cross-referenced index for those of us that need serious help.

Pathrat
October 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I like that idea too, I have rocks all over the house from various trips and little idea of what they are.

Chris
October 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah, 2 buyers already!

Pathrat
October 30th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Aaron, Hugh wants me to tell you that you can borrow our GPS. Now me, I wouldn't let you touch my stuff. KIDDING! :)

Funrover
October 31st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Aaron, Hugh wants me to tell you that you can borrow our GPS. Now me, I wouldn't let you touch my stuff. KIDDING! :)

LOL.... such kind words hahahhahaha... That would be great, Thanks!

Funrover
October 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM
I will tell you that from my perspective there is no good guide I have seen that is focused on active families with young children. One reason I ended up not making the Fall Run was I wanted an "extra activity" out of it in terms of camping.

The problem with wheeling is when it's all day in the truck it isn't that family friendly, but when you have events that have other activities you open up wheeling to an entirely different level.

A good example: in Moab this year we did Elephant Hill and took the hike up to The Joint and then a second spur to hike out to the Confluence. I wheeled the whole trail, but the day really was more about the other places we saw, and you can camp and really get into the back country from there.

in other words, an expedition guide that is 4x4 based, but not focused on the trails (I wouldn't be trying to "out-Wells" the Wells guides), would be awesome. I'd be up for going with a group to map some of the routes and alternate activities.

Getting out into the back country by 4x4 is one of the best ways to bring a love of the outdoors to young children, and expose them to all of the outdoor activities. If that's what you love to do, you are pretty much on your own outside of very defined activities like camping in RMNP and hiking the well known destination trails.

Not easy to get :princess: onboard that "winging it" is safe enough when the kids are little.

The "other" activities and family is what I am aiming for!

gragravar
October 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM
Aaron. the book sounds like a great idea, certainly content that doesnt seem to be out there. I'd buy one.

that said, books get stale. I'd think about doing an on-line version of your book. maybe a paid website that offers up your content at a charge of say $12/year (more than you as the author would likely get from the sale of a $20 book), then you could have the content be open to change from the reader community - wiki style. as your community grows, the users could learn from one another, and could also contribute their own info. just my $0.02.

Pathrat
October 31st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Gragavar, I think that is an excellent idea. People can just print the pages they want copies of when they go out. Plus, you have the option of updates when conditions change. Something I noticed about the Wells books is there are trails that don't seem to have been updated in a while and pertinent information is missing. Aaron, I would subscribe to something like this.

Jimmy
October 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
I will tell you that from my perspective there is no good guide I have seen that is focused on active families with young children. One reason I ended up not making the Fall Run was I wanted an "extra activity" out of it in terms of camping.

The problem with wheeling is when it's all day in the truck it isn't that family friendly, but when you have events that have other activities you open up wheeling to an entirely different level.

A good example: in Moab this year we did Elephant Hill and took the hike up to The Joint and then a second spur to hike out to the Confluence. I wheeled the whole trail, but the day really was more about the other places we saw, and you can camp and really get into the back country from there.

in other words, an expedition guide that is 4x4 based, but not focused on the trails (I wouldn't be trying to "out-Wells" the Wells guides), would be awesome. I'd be up for going with a group to map some of the routes and alternate activities.

Getting out into the back country by 4x4 is one of the best ways to bring a love of the outdoors to young children, and expose them to all of the outdoor activities. If that's what you love to do, you are pretty much on your own outside of very defined activities like camping in RMNP and hiking the well known destination trails.

Not easy to get :princess: onboard that "winging it" is safe enough when the kids are little.

Amen!!! Well said!

Jimmy
October 31st, 2008, 10:36 PM
Gragavar, I think that is an excellent idea. People can just print the pages they want copies of when they go out. Plus, you have the option of updates when conditions change. Something I noticed about the Wells books is there are trails that don't seem to have been updated in a while and pertinent information is missing. Aaron, I would subscribe to something like this.
X2! Most of us lust for current trail information - finding a way to bring all that together in one place would be a challenge and a goldmine.

Funrover
October 31st, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hmmm...... Now that is a great idea!! Thanks Andrew. I will have to really add that into my plan. And you are right Jimmy current conditions are really important. I have to start jotting a few things down here.

For those with families what kind of "activities" would interest you?

Jimmy
November 1st, 2008, 02:23 PM

Actually... this may seem silly, but it has worked for us with our really young ones - we will stop at a playground after a day on the trail before getting on the road home. That gives the kids time to stretch their legs and burn off a little energy-if there wasn't anything interesting to them on the trail-before the ride home.

My kids love the community playground in Georgetown, and there's at least two public playgrounds in Idaho Springs that we've used as well. Those are free, of course. We've been to Tiny Town as well and my kids love the train, and there's a playground there... but it does cost money.

So, I guess I'm saying maybe a page on where parents can find a playground in popular towns on the way home from the trails would be useful.

Pathrat
November 1st, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hmmm...... Now that is a great idea!! Thanks Andrew. I will have to really add that into my plan. And you are right Jimmy current conditions are really important. I have to start jotting a few things down here.

I would love hints on 'emergency camping' spots. There have been plenty of times when I am in uncharted territory looking for an environmentally friendly, suitable camp spot and it gets later and later, and I end up in some mosquito infested patch of dirt.

SCRubicon
November 2nd, 2008, 12:23 AM
Sometimes Mr. Wells drives me and Hugh nuts when he says veer left when the way to go is straight because to go right would take you about ten feet to a dead end.

Today was our chance to get him back :D

Funrover
November 2nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Actually... this may seem silly, but it has worked for us with our really young ones - we will stop at a playground after a day on the trail before getting on the road home. That gives the kids time to stretch their legs and burn off a little energy-if there wasn't anything interesting to them on the trail-before the ride home.

My kids love the community playground in Georgetown, and there's at least two public playgrounds in Idaho Springs that we've used as well. Those are free, of course. We've been to Tiny Town as well and my kids love the train, and there's a playground there... but it does cost money.

So, I guess I'm saying maybe a page on where parents can find a playground in popular towns on the way home from the trails would be useful.

Hmm interesting, I might have a section in the back called playgrounds. I am def initially going to have to do some revamping, but if it gets more interest it's worth it. As far as playground I would prob. just stick to the free ones. May have it sectioned off by area, such as county or in a group of nearby trails. Thanks for the heads up Jimmy!

Funrover
November 2nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
I would love hints on 'emergency camping' spots. There have been plenty of times when I am in uncharted territory looking for an environmentally friendly, suitable camp spot and it gets later and later, and I end up in some mosquito infested patch of dirt.

That will be covered don't you fret!

Funrover
November 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
With the other topics about "bad" directions I want to know. What makes for good ones. How could I write directions so that you would like them?

4Runninfun
November 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
aaron you should also read a book called " the 4 hour work weed" its by timothy ferris. In this book he talks about how he did hands on market research to find out exactly how to create a bestseller book from the ground up. I think many of his concepts would apply to you in trying to come up with a good book that everyone will want.

and YES i hate trying to figure out what wells means in his directions. right aaron! :thunb: when writing directions give them as clearly and concisely as you can. don't go on and on about a small detail. make sure your landmarks are easy to recognize. don't put something in that says "turn at the bush that looks like elvis". who says it looks like elvis and not a garden gnome? also we tend to see what we are looking for so you can make any bush like elvis if you are looking hard enough. i also wouldn't use the set/reset odo tactic. The first thing most people do for their 4x4 is put on bigger tires. which means that now your odo is reading incorrectly, game over. GPS seams to be the way most are going. They are easy and unmistakable. if it says turn at xxx.xxxN by xxx.xxx W there is only one location in the world for that.

also you can get practice at writing good directions. set up a day where a bunch of us meet you like on rampart range or Mt Herman where there are countless side roads, write directions to get from A to B and see how many people get there on the first shot. You'll get an idea of how others think and what others see while driving.

you could also write your book to accompany a map book like a gazetteer. In your book then you could tell people in addition to this book it will be handy to have this edition gazetteer. for example the 2008. then you can add supplementary info so that people who want to look up where they are on a larger scale know where they are and whats around them. Which could also help should they get lost while out.

Pathrat
November 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Good ideas. I would also suggest that you list both the county and FS designation roads. I have come across directions that said take CR 23 but the only sign I saw was for RTE 282 or FSR 204.1a. If a road has more than one designation, especially if you are looking at a topo vs a gazetteer map, please list that.

Funrover
November 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hmmmm the set up day sounds like a good idea!

Funrover
November 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I am curious for those with kids....... What is a "family activity"?

I am curious what folks out that want

Pathrat
November 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I am curious for those with kids....... What is a "family activity"?

I am curious what folks out that want

When mine were younger, the destination trip needed to be broken up. Examples: driving across the country, more than once, we stopped at Tombstone, The London Bridge, Arches, Petrified Forest, Lincoln's Boyhood Home, Ratty Abandoned House in KS, Fort Hays KS, and other such landmarks. We found things on the map, touristy to natural sites, and incorparated them into the route like a good old fashioned road trip. We even did that on the way to Utah, stopping at the Fruita dinosaur park. Notice that the common theme is GETTING OUT OF THE CAR while getting to where we were going.

Now that they are older, I have used my giant Utah guidebook and found things to run by the family and see if we wanted to see whatever it was, like the Thompson Petroglyphs for example.

Another plus that would be more of an online things is waystops with gas station and food information. For example, the big Wendys/Gas station in Edwards closes at 10pm, good to know. When you are in Green River, NEVER eat at Bens Mexican Food but do go to the pizza place just down the main drag on the left. I find this stuff useful for when you have to feed the family and there are not that many choices in some of the locales you pass through.