PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Turkey Run?

Patrolman
November 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I think I proposed this about 6 months ago.

Every year my family/friends buy whole turkeys at Kings and Safeway and then take them to the homeless shelter downtown. We try to take 8-10 per carload. They need several THOUSAND turkeys to be able to feed all the homeless and those living below the poverty line. Since they are cheap at the stores before Thanksgiving, this is a good way to get the most bang for your buck.

Anyone interested in doing this as a 4x4 group? We have never been "sponsored" in the past. Thought it might show support and comradeship within our group while helping those in need during the holiday season! This obviously has to take place sometime between now and Thanksgiving. No particular day/time in mind.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing a 4x4 run that day as well if time permits and folks are interested!

Funrover
November 5th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Sounds good, but I actually have a day with the entire family..... It's been awhile since that happened.. I am not missing it

Tye
November 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
We can provide a couple Turkey's for this. We will be in Naturita for Thanksgiving but are more than happy to do our part for the less forunate. Let me know how I can get these to you.

Chris
November 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Glad you brought this up again Jeff, excellent idea and Barb & I would like to participate. My only suggestion would be to make the delivery a few days ahead of Thanksgiving so we don't interfere with any family plans of our own and give the shelter enough time to get them cooked for the increasing number of people in need this year.

Patrolman
November 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM
They absolutely need the turkeys at least 3 days in advance. They have to be able to defrost and also distribute/cook. Plus, yes, it is good to have family time. I was thinking of maybe the weekend before Thanksgiving? Any other thoughts?

Funrover
November 5th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I am babysitting the nephew that weekend, but I would love to help if possible!

Chris
November 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
The weekend before sounds good. I suggest anyone unable to physically attend contribute a turkey or ten. ;)

Patrolman
November 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Just FYI for people who don't turkey shop, Safeway has a sale now. $4.99 for anything under 16 pounds. $7.99 for anything over 16 pounds. Obviously try to find the turkey that is the largest in it's given category. I got a 21.5 pound one this afternoon.

Chris
November 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM
They absolutely need the turkeys at least 3 days in advance. They have to be able to defrost and also distribute/cook. Plus, yes, it is good to have family time. I was thinking of maybe the weekend before Thanksgiving? Any other thoughts?

So the 22nd/23rd sound good? Run suggestion?

Funrover
November 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
can I give 10 to someone on the way to babysit?

Chris
November 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Good question, does anyone have a large freezer with room for those of us with tiny freezers?

gm4x4lover
November 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
if you guys did it on a sunday i would love to help out.

Tye
November 5th, 2008, 05:21 PM
can I give 10 to someone on the way to babysit?

You know you can bring it by our place...might be caaake:D

Tye
November 5th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Good question, does anyone have a large freezer with room for those of us with tiny freezers?

Just thought of that....I was planning on at least 2 fromus and with 1 from Aaron&Jess that fills mine.

Funrover
November 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM
You know you can bring it by our place...might be caaake:D

Just say when I know you want cake LOL :lol:

Patrolman
November 5th, 2008, 07:04 PM
My preference is for Sunday at this time. Nephew's b-day is that Saturday.

I need to look into buying a freezer as it has been on my to-do list for a while. Will keep everyone posted. In years past, I have hit every grocery store that was between my place and the shelter. There is a limit of 2 turkeys (1 of each size) per visit to the store. So I buy 3-4 in advance and cram them in the fridge. Then pick up another 6-10 on the way.

Also, keep in mind that the shelter will accept other items. We take old clothes, canned foods, etc. Basically anything except electronics. Clearly during this time of year Thanksgiving feast goodies are high on the priority list, but nothing that they could use would be turned away.

Brody
November 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Missed a bunch on this thread. Are we supposed to bring turkeys? Are we doing a benefit run? What trail does everyone have in mind?

LaDawn and I usually don't do turkey or much of a Thanksgiving thing, so a run would be good as we are both going to be off work. Bunce School/Coney Flats/Middle St Vrain if they haven't closed it due to snow?? Rollins Pass to Jenny Creek?? Snow and closures would be the deciding factor..

Tye
November 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Just say when I know you want cake LOL :lol:

You know this MAAAN :thunb:

Patrolman
November 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I think that we should have a run that we WANT to do, but an alternative that is lower in elevation just in case of snow. I am game for suggestions.

Pathrat
November 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hugh and I will bring some turkeys, depending on freezer/fridge space. We have a basement fridge so if anyone needs to drop some off Friday until Sunday morning, we can hold some until the drop-off. Good to be reminded we can drop other things off as well.
That is the weekend before we head out of the country on vacation so I can't commit to a run. We should be able to take an hour or so for the drop off though.

4Runner3Wheeler
November 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
What shelter are the turkeys going to? I would like to donate a couple and maybe clear out some unused clothing.

So we are proposing 11/23?
Potentially running Jennie Creek?

SCRubicon
November 12th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I might have missed it, but what day will this happen? I don't have a big freezer, so I'll pick up my turkeys the day of.

Patrolman
November 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Not sure of the name of the shelter. It is a large one on Lawrence in downtown Denver just about 1/2 block east of Broadway. Has the large sign that says "Jesus Saves" in the form of a cross. They provide great services to the community in need.

I believe that we all agree on Sunday the 16th. Say 9 or 10AM? It might be best to meet somewhere easy to find downtown, such as the Pepsi Center, and then caravan.

Any input is appreciated!

Brody
November 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Well, we can only do one run and it looks like it is going to be the November 30th China Wall Trail run. Don't know if we have room for a turkey in our fridge, either-not that it is full, merely not very big...

Chris
November 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Not sure of the name of the shelter. It is a large one on Lawrence in downtown Denver just about 1/2 block east of Broadway. Has the large sign that says "Jesus Saves" in the form of a cross. They provide great services to the community in need.

I believe that we all agree on Sunday the 16th. Say 9 or 10AM? It might be best to meet somewhere easy to find downtown, such as the Pepsi Center, and then caravan.

Any input is appreciated!

That's the Denver Rescue Mission, good choice Jeff :thunb:

Sunday the 16th sounds good, Jenny Creek afterwards?

SCRubicon
November 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
16th works for me, but I can only make the turkey delivery part.

Pathrat
November 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM
We are in on the delivery, out on the run. If someone gets us turkeys Saturday, we can keep them in the basement fridge; they won't thaw. I will just move the drinks out of it and we can fill it up.

Chris
November 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM

I just added this to the calendar. This Sunday at 10am, meet at Pepsi Center and caravan to the Denver Rescue Mission. Anyone interested in doing a run afterwards can talk and decide after the delivery.

Okay? :thunb:

Tye
November 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
See ya'll at the Pepsi Center....

Chris
November 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
The "post if you're going to be there is here -> http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17573#post17573

Patrolman
November 13th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Also, FYI, there are still turkeys on sale at Safeway if you buy the Manor House brand. The ad says the same price as it did last week. $4.99 for small and $7.99 for large I think. The store near me has put up a sign that there was an error in the print ad and that there is a $25 purchase required to get that price.

SO, Kings has Jennie O brand for $6 each for small ones and I am sure there is a price for larger ones as well. Also, surprisingly, Albertsons has a sale. 35 cents per pound. That makes a 20 pound turkey $7.00. Can't hardly beat that anywhere! Neither Kings nor Alberstsons states in their ads that additional $ must be spent. Unless you plan on buying another $25 of stuff, that is the way to go!

Roostercruiser
November 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
ill be there in the suburban and i have a 16 foot trailer we could load the turkeys on let me know if we need it:thunb:

Chris
November 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Date Change: 11/23! ;)

Pathrat
November 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I changed the date after Patrolman, who really put this together, said he couldn't make this Sunday. Since he started the idea I think it's important that we honor his schedule.

True, not a problem and maybe we can get more to participate with another week to prepare.

Patrolman
November 15th, 2008, 10:17 AM
23rd it is.

I also have non-4x4 friends who are storing turkeys in their freezers for the cause. I will then be the designated driver for my friends to get them delivered. Hopefully others can partake!

Also, as Chris said, taters or anything else related to a feast. I also take clothes donations and other useful items.

Brody
November 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM
We'll see what we can do to make the new date. I might end up working at the last minute and I don't know what LaDawn has on the books.

Chris
November 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
True, not a problem and maybe we can get more to participate with another week to prepare.

My thoughts too, I'll be able to add to my donations...

Tye
November 16th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Kingsupers had a few turkeys yesterday when we went so we grabbed 2 for now...above #16 are only 8.00 so we got 20 pounders...of course I had to move my whiskey from the freezer :D

Chris
November 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM
We all make sacrifices Tye :D

Patrolman
November 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Kingsupers had a few turkeys yesterday when we went so we grabbed 2 for now...above #16 are only 8.00 so we got 20 pounders...of course I had to move my whiskey from the freezer :D

Thank you for making that sacrifice for the week Tye! Of course, the whiskey could go in the garage. Plenty cold out there, right?

Roostercruiser
November 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
some things came up and i cant make the the turkey run on the 23rd :doh:sorry we might in Louisana

Patrolman
November 17th, 2008, 08:06 PM
So thinking ahead a bit, I was at Safeway this evening and they had BIG bags of Halloween candy on clearance. 3.5 pound bags for $2 each. Asked the store manager if he could cut me a deal as I would be donating these to the shelter, likely as Xmas candy (no Halloween marks or shapes). The manager was generous enough to say "Is 50 cents per bag OK?". Needless to say, I bought 20 bags. We are now armed with 70 pounds of mixed candy that will fill lots of stockings!

Pathrat
November 19th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Please read my post in chat about donating without being present!

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3421

Patrolman, where at the Pepsi Center? I am not familiar with the area so is there just a main entrance for us to go to?

Tye
November 20th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Thank you for making that sacrifice for the week Tye! Of course, the whiskey could go in the garage. Plenty cold out there, right?

I guess :lol: