PDA

View Full Version : Possible build up?

SCRubicon
November 10th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I went scrounging around the pick and pull junkyard with Tye this past weekend. On the way out, Tye noticed a little DJ5 "Dispatcher" sitting on the ready line waiting to make the journey over into the pick yard. We talked (mostly laughing) about building it up into something. He suggested off-roader, my thought was Georgetown lake ice racer. How funny/cool would it be to see it do either? It wouldn't be a hard conversion to 4x4 and LHD with the right supply of CJ5 parts. Or, just plunk the Dispatcher body onto a CJ5 frame and running gear. I've been thinking about doing something with an old DJ5, but the timing never seems to be right. My brother put the idea in my head a couple of years ago with this picture he took at a 4x4 jamboree.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Jeep%20Creations/postal.jpg

Funrover
November 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I say you do it..... I will help!

Jamie
November 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I think the ice racing idea is a great one. Very cheap to build, and we can all help build it!
Usually they just have a very expensive motor in them. You could spend the winter building just the right motor for it Steve, since you got nothing else to do right?:p
LOL.

Tye
November 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
That would a be sweet build......

Funrover
November 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Nor matter of rain, nor snow, nor hail can keep away the SCPostmaster LOL

Brody
November 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Before you guys start a build of a Postal Jeep into a 4x4, you might want to do some checking on what all is actually involved. Peterson's or 4x4 and Sport Utility or one of those mags did a Postal to 4x4 conversion and a step by step write up a few years ago. Posted all the things they did, all the parts and where they sourced them, etc. They did as much junkyard shopping as was possible as this was a budget build.

Their end result was (not to rain on your parade) a project that took way too much time and money for what they could have done cheaper with a better builder platform..

Anyway, it would be worth finding the article and doing some more research...

Funrover
November 11th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I think it's more to the effect of building a postal rig than anything else, with them being a more rare bird parts are harder to come by... but you can change a lot to make it how you want!

SCRubicon
November 11th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I actually had that copy of Petersen's. In typical Steve fashion, I wiped my a$$ with their ideas. That's when the idea of a body swap came into mind. Spendy no doubt, but none of my projects ever seem to come in on budget or get labeled as thrifty. Back to the timing thing, I'll have a lot of time to think about it while I'm dancing on the bread line at the end of the month...and I don't mean on the serving side.