PDA

View Full Version : Hello from KDKG (Ken) from Widefield

kdkg
November 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hello, I am Ken. Retired Military who is basically a hippie now. I like to call myself 80% retired. I got referred to this site by funrover. We have known each other (web based for a couple of years now) and have wheeled once together.

Right now, I have a 90 Range Rover Classic that is a mall cruiser and a 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 that mostly pushes a plow.

In the past, I have had anything from IHC scouts, travelall, diesel blazer running 36" tires, to a hybrid Samurai, original engine, 6.01 transfer case, jeep springs, toy axles w/ 411 gears w/ a lunch box locker in the rear. I sold the Samurai about 6 months ago to finance the purchase of equipment.

I was one of those kids that dreamed of homesteading in Alaska and driving a flat fender jeep. At 15, my Dad offered me a 76 Monte Carlo and I said "no thanks dad, I want a jeep." I didn't actually get my first 4x4 until I was 26 and it was "dabeast" 69 IHC travelall. Didn't actually ever get a jeep until this last fall when I bought a CJ-7 to fix up and shortly after sold it. It was rusty and basic, but gave me something to play with.

I got into Range Rovers because of my wife. I had always wanted a defender 110 and based on that, she had learned about the other models. She said if she could ever choose a 4x4 it would be a range rover classic. Once she got back from a tour in Japan, I found her a 88 Range Rover Classic and we bought it (on ebay no less.) After a tour in Iraq, my suburban gave up the ghost so I replaced it w/ a 77 Dodge Maxivan camper and then was looking for a econo box for a daily driver. That is when we found our second Range Rover Classic, an 1990. So much for gas economy :lol:

My experience, in wheeling, started w/ mud in Missouri. Then the desert drving in Idaho. Then after Japan, we came to Colorado. I totally underestimated what mountain/rocks wheeling was about and promptly took my straight bodied blazer (on 33x9.5 tires at the time) and ran Chinamans Gulch w/ a couple of clubs. There is a pic of the truck wedged in the "squeeze." This was before someone moved the left boulder to make it easier. I tore my blazer to bits that day, but I completed the trail. There was a couple of full sizes that did not. Shortly after that I bought the Sami.

I am a city hillbilly w/ lots of vehicles much to the dismay of my neighbors. 2 landscaping based work trucks (the 3/4 ton dodge and a 2 ton custom built chevy), 2001 ford wagon, 1990 Olds van (my beater van), 1990 RRC, 1983 Honda Civic (bought to delivery pizza that I did for a few months), 1977 Dodge Maxivan that is no longer a camper but we still use it as one. 1976 Datsun 620 pickup truck that I just picked up to play with. 1970's Cusman 3 wheel cabbed scooter that my dad gave to my son, 1972 Suzuki LJ-20, 1970 Datsun 521 pickup that is a low rider, 3 dirtbikes, 1 ATV, and lots of trailers. Like I said, a hillbilly, but all the ones out are tagged, insured, etc. I also have lots of landscaping based equipment to include a skidloader.

My 20% working is a Landscaping business that is just an excuse to buy cool toys and I work a couple days a week at a adjucated youth treatment center down in Canon City.

Ok, this is my intro. Much more that needed to be said I am sure, but just the same. I mostly stay in the shadows of a forum and watch what others post. But I do talk, and talk too much, if it is a subject I am interested in.

Oh and on the Family side, Married, 2 kids, 4 dogs, 4 cats, 5 snakes, 3 lizards, 2 parakeets, 1 G. pig, 2 hamsters, and professional carpet cleaner and vacs. haha

Nice to be here. Thanks for the op. :thunb:

ShutUpHippie
November 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Very thorough, makes my intro a month or so ago look pretty weak, haha. :D Welcome!

4Runninfun
November 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
welcome to the board!

kdkg
November 10th, 2008, 02:55 PM
welcome to the board!

Don't I know you from LRO? You are Arron's friend?

4Runninfun
November 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM
i think we've met, if you're the person i'm thinking of. you gave aaron that rear axle and such right? and yes i'm on LRO as well, Toyota_jon.

kdkg
November 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
i think we've met, if you're the person i'm thinking of. you gave aaron that rear axle and such right? and yes i'm on LRO as well, Toyota_jon.

No, we have only meet on-line. We was in some discussions together. And I read the thread of your Toy getting stolen and recovered up in Washington State.

The run, I did w/ Aaron, you was not there. Was a Disco, A older jeep, a newer jeep, and a Dodge powerram?. The older 2 door Dodge (blazer like) thing.

If you have ever looked at his pics, I was the brown Samurai on 35"s that had my son in a skater helmet. He took a pic of me flexed all out on the boulder above the water falls at Chinamans gulch.

http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/39925/2671816810055934002S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2671816810055934002QEGRzr)
http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/5199/2587895110055934002S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2587895110055934002LugXCk)

ShutUpHippie
November 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Nice pic, I've heard good things about those Samaris. What's the best thing about it? ...something that gives you the edge on the trail.

kdkg
November 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Nice pic, I've heard good things about those Samaris. What's the best thing about it? ...something that gives you the edge on the trail.

Toyota axles are basically a great cheap upgrade, So light weight, a toy axle would be like a 1 ton axle for a jeep. Plenty of T-case options, to include a splitter that goes between the transmission and the T-case. Flanged drive shafts so easy to drop the rear shaft for flat towing.

Small so you can squeeze them into places. However Small so you can't haul much or many people.

Lightweight so you can really use the airdown to your advantage. I ran 3 PSI on the 35s w/ no beadlock.

Gotpropane.com did have the Sami kit on sale a while back.

The best thing. A cheap builder. Even if you got fancy, less than 10k and you got an awesome rig. I have outdone a Rubi w/ prob 20k of aftermarket upgrades. And I had maybe 3500 in my rig (I did buy it mostly built though.)

Worse thing about them... SHORT WHEELBASE...

If you watch the market, you can get some great build Sami's for a great price. I sold mine for $3000? and after some upgrades, the guy was using it as a daily driver. He worked at 4wheelparts in ColoradoSprings.

Tis a poor man's rock rig. I do miss mine alot...

Chris
November 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Welcome to Front Range 4x4 Ken, nice to have you here. Very nice intro by the way, only thing missing were pics but you've taken care of that already. :thunb:

Semi-retired is good, I'm retired myself. Well, retired from making any money but not retired in living the life of leisure as I would like to be at least. Spending my days on the beach in Hawaii, spending weeks on expedition runs, etc will come eventually I hope.

Looking forward to wheeling with you soon.

:welcome:

4Runninfun
November 10th, 2008, 04:56 PM
ah, well cool then i'll look forward to meeting you in person on the trail. We have a china wall run coming up here in a couple weeks if you can make it. I believe the date is nov 30.

kdkg
November 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM
ah, well cool then i'll look forward to meeting you in person on the trail. We have a china wall run coming up here in a couple weeks if you can make it. I believe the date is nov 30.

Yep, Aaron had told me about that.

Funrover
November 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Welcome man, glad you made it here!! Do you still have the tow vehicle from that day?? That was a fun day on OCG!

kdkg
November 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Welcome man, glad you made it here!! Do you still have the tow vehicle from that day?? That was a fun day on OCG!

The 77 Dodge MaxiVan? Yep still got it. Gutted the inside and put in some rubber flooring and walls. Sleeps alot more people now, plus all the dogs.

Funrover
November 10th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Nice, that thing was sweet!

kdkg
November 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Nice, that thing was sweet!

I still need to beef up the rear springs. It is still sagging ass.

Here is something to for you. A jeep towing a Dodge towing a trailer w/ Sami.

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/41381/1351232964055934002S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1351232964055934002etYFyp)

Couldn't keep traction on Gold Camp Road, on the steep hills.

Funrover
November 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
That is Mac right??? How is he doing?

Pathrat
November 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Great introduction, thanks for posting up.

I love it, all the wheeled things in the yard and the animals too. You need goats! :D
Kidding, your post reminded my of the guinea pigs I use to have.
Welcome!

Funrover
November 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
You wouldn't by chance have pics of your old IHC would you?

Brody
November 11th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Welcome to the site! I like the pictures of the towathon, too! Realy nice introduction, too.

What are you wheeling in now?? And what is sagging ass?? I managed to snag some freebie springs from the High Country Performance 4x4 scrap bin-waggy or something else- and bastardized them to fit into my rear spring pack. Worked for almost a year on my Yota until I managed to do something else. 4" grinder and metal cutoff blades...

Aaron-the Dodge looks exactly like the one I had!

Pathrat-since you work in the pathology department, I don't think anyone wants to know what happened to the guinea pigs that you 'used to have'.....

Funrover
November 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Aaron-the Dodge looks exactly like the one I had!

SWEET!!

Pathrat-since you work in the pathology department, I don't think anyone wants to know what happened to the guinea pigs that you 'used to have'.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

kdkg
November 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM
That is Mac right??? How is he doing?

Yes, that is Mac. I haven't talked to him since last year. Stopped into his shop to talk a few minutes coming back from a camping/wheeling trip. If you didn't know, he owns a driveline/drivetrain shop in Woodland Park. Hard Rock drive train I think it is called.

kdkg
November 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Great introduction, thanks for posting up.

I love it, all the wheeled things in the yard and the animals too. You need goats! :D
Kidding, your post reminded my of the guinea pigs I use to have.
Welcome!

We actually tried to get goats, but the county said "No way, residential area." If we hadn't asked for permission, our neighbors would have called us in and I don't want them nosing around with my other animals.

Had chickens and quail for a while till my Anatolian shepherd/saint Bernard mix broke into their cage. For a livestock animal bloodline, she has a high prey instinct.

kdkg
November 11th, 2008, 01:42 PM
You wouldn't by chance have pics of your old IHC would you?

Somewhere, not digital though. Could always scan some in if I can find them.

kdkg
November 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the site! I like the pictures of the towathon, too! Realy nice introduction, too.

What are you wheeling in now?? And what is sagging ass?? I managed to snag some freebie springs from the High Country Performance 4x4 scrap bin-waggy or something else- and bastardized them to fit into my rear spring pack. Worked for almost a year on my Yota until I managed to do something else. 4" grinder and metal cutoff blades...

Thanks all for the welcome.

I might wheel my red 90 RRC but I would feel like a poser w/ it. I don't want to get it scratched or dented.

The back of my van is about alot lower than the front. The springs are about flat. It is a low mile rig, but age got to it, I guess. Has always been that way since I have gotten it. It is amazing what I take that van through. Semi-wheeling in it to get to a good camp site. I had talked to Mac about putting in a T-case just to get a low range. Would still be 2 wheel drive, but could climb better. I am thinking about going to air bags on it so I can still get the smooth ride. It is a cruiser right now. our last vacation, we took it. 6 states.
http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/39879/2885087010055934002S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2885087010055934002IdRmPM)
http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/41683/2684735360055934002S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2684735360055934002DvctnU)

SCRubicon
November 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
The run, I did w/ Aaron, you was not there. Was a Disco, A older jeep, a newer jeep, and a Dodge powerram?. The older 2 door Dodge (blazer like) thing.

If you have ever looked at his pics, I was the brown Samurai on 35"s that had my son in a skater helmet. He took a pic of me flexed all out on the boulder above the water falls at Chinamans gulch.

I remember you. I had the old CJ5. (parked behind you in this pic)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/OCG/e90b9411.jpg

Anyhow, welcome to Front Range 4x4!!!

Funrover
November 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM
That's right Ken was there or the fire show!!! HAHAHA

SCRubicon
November 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
That's right Ken was there or the fire show!!! HAHAHA

Nope, the fire was on the second run I took with you guys. The CJ5 would have made a great donor for the Mail Jeep build :lol: (that will never materialize)

Pathrat
November 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM

:lol: Good one! I don't have them in jars in the garage! When they had to go, Mom said they went to 'live on a farm'. ;)

Chris
November 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
When they had to go, Mom said they went to 'live on a farm'. ;)

You have to be careful with those kinds of answers. My daughter told her kids that the dead goldfish went to 'fishy heaven' when they flushed them down the toilet. One day my grandson came strutting out of the bathroom (early toilet training days) stating "I sent my poop to fishy heaven." :lol:

kdkg
November 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I remember you. I had the old CJ5. (parked behind you in this pic)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/OCG/e90b9411.jpg

Anyhow, welcome to Front Range 4x4!!!
Nice picture, thanks, didn't have that one.

Yeah, we was behind you most of the day and my son kept saying on the radio "That sure is a Purty Jeep." Don't know if you ever heard him or not. :lol:

He is more like me, likes the rough and tough dented rigs.

So your jeep burned? Is that I am understanding?

kdkg
November 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM
:lol: Good one! I don't have them in jars in the garage! When they had to go, Mom said they went to 'live on a farm'. ;)

We had to tell my son that his first lizard got loose in the house. Actually his food ate him.

He has a mean Sudan desert Skink now. She eats pinky rats. She has also tried to eat my finger on a time or two. About 12-15 years old. About 6 inches long.

SCRubicon
November 12th, 2008, 11:34 AM
It was a quick fire. I had it under control a few seconds after somebody yelled, "HOLY *****, FIRE!!!" No damage. But, I replaced the CJ5 with a JK Rubicon in May of 2007. I think I have more pics of the Sammi. I'll pm them to you.

Steve~

Tye
November 29th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Sorry I missed the welcoming party even more sorry you know Aaron :cheers: welcome to FR4X4 Ken...

Brody
November 29th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I probably said it before, but I didn't chase all the posts

Welcome to the site. Hope that you can make this Sunday's run!

Steve's Jeep, my spec home...fire does do some damage....

I had used some 'heat proofing' material on something close to my headers on another rig a few years ago. We were driving down I70 near Idaho Springs and started smelling smoke. People were waving at us and the lady that was riding with me was screaming 'The trucks on fire! The trucks on fire! Stop the truck!' Well, since I knew what was burning and knew that there wasn't anything in the way to really catch fire besides paint and undercoating, I just kept driving, figuring that the fire would burn itself out, which it did. My nonchalant attitude didn't help much for the rest of the day...I had a fire extinguisher with me, BTW, and you can tell by my heap that I really don't care about body damage. One of the last Yotas I had, I put a series of 44 rounds through the back bedside just cause it looked cooler than the decals..