PDA

View Full Version : Not ChinaWall

Brody
November 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Well, Bren was the only one that showed up at the safeway. We waited until 8:00, found out that Kenosha Pass was closed, called Aaron to let him know that we weren't going to do the now 3 hour drive to the trail and headed up to see what we could find.

We ended up doing some wheeling on FS 125/810/811 and managed to have some fun. Here are a few pictures:

Funrover
November 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM
HOLY COW!!!! Looks Deep and fun... Where exactly is that?

Brody
November 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
These are part of a network of trails that start on the East side of Kenosha Pass (or west). They are the last trails/FS roads that you can access before the top of the pass. They wind around to the NE and end up on Hand Cart Gulch Road and around to the WSW and end up on the County Road that you access Jefferson Lake from. There are a bunch of them......like miles...Everything is well marked on regular topo maps..

Charles Wells has never heard of them or Kenosha Pass, I am sure....

Funrover
November 30th, 2008, 07:50 PM
These are part of a network of trails that start on the East side of Kenosha Pass (or west). They are the last trails/FS roads that you can access before the top of the pass. They wind around to the NE and end up on Hand Cart Gulch Road and around to the WSW and end up on the County Road that you access Jefferson Lake from. There are a bunch of them......like miles...Everything is well marked on regular topo maps..

Charles Wells has never heard of them or Kenosha Pass, I am sure....

Hmmm... I may have to wander up that way. The snow looks great!:thunb: I didn't realize there was that much snow up there!

Chris
November 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Wish I could have made this, looks like fun. I hope you weren't waiting for me to show up Pete!

Brody
December 1st, 2008, 04:44 AM
We didn't expect you to show up Chris. Sounded like you had your hands full. We just waited until 8:00 and then left.

These are the same trails that Jimmy, me and a couple of other people tried to run last year, but the snow was way too deep to bust through. That year we eventually ended up running Slaughterhouse.

BTW, the top pictures are of Bren when he hit a sheet of ice under about 12" of snow. He lost forward momentum and lightly hit his brakes. When he did, he started rocketing backwards towards me. I jammed my heap in reverse and started backing up cause I didn't want Bren to wreck his LC on my front bumper. The back of his rig slid into a an icy little valley with over 2' of snow on it.

I wish Stephanie could've been there as she wants to do recovery stuff. All she has to do is go on any winter run and she will see a bunch of it...We attached Brens front winch to a tree about 20' in front of him. I attached mine to a point on his rear bumper after running it through a snatch block on another tree off to the side of the road. Bren pulled himself forward a little, then I pulled his ass end closer to the center of the road. We did this back and forth until we got him straight on the road so that we could reverse out of there. The ice continued for another 250-300' and we didn't feel like doing a winch fest.

Pathrat
December 3rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
I wish Stephanie could've been there as she wants to do recovery stuff. All she has to do is go on any winter run and she will see a bunch of it...We attached Brens front winch to a tree about 20' in front of him. I attached mine to a point on his rear bumper after running it through a snatch block on another tree off to the side of the road. Bren pulled himself forward a little, then I pulled his ass end closer to the center of the road. We did this back and forth until we got him straight on the road so that we could reverse out of there. The ice continued for another 250-300' and we didn't feel like doing a winch fest.

That definitely sounds like something I would like to have seen.