PDA

View Full Version : GPS Recommendations?

Chris
December 5th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I haven't had a decent GPS for a while and am considering getting a new one since my crappy Garmin eTrex which has a screen too small to see died. Before that I had an old StreetPilot which I liked. I'd like one that has a decent sized screen and the ability to load an old Garmin CD I have which is something like Roads and Recreation, pretty good maps of recreational areas.

Anyone familiar with Garmin models that may be suitable?

Pathrat
December 5th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I just have a small one and no knowledge of how to use it. :D I meant to say, after some thought, that I am unfamiliar with the brands and features of a GPS although I own one.

Chris
December 6th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I just have a small one and no knowledge of how to use it. :D

Whew! Glad to see this wasn't your hubby's post! :D

Funrover
December 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Whew! Glad to see this wasn't your hubby's post! :D

HHAHAHAHAHAHA LMAO!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: Now that's just funny right there!

Pathrat
December 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM
:D What? I was talking about GPS units!

Chris
December 6th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Sorry Pathrat, it was morning and I'm a guy :lol:

mikem
December 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Are you looking for a handheld or a dash mounted device?

I have a Garmin GPS Map 60 cs that I like a lot. The base map is not very good, but I always load topo maps, so it is not an issue. It is a large handheld, but it will fit in a pocket.
It supports an external antenna, so it is useful inside the truck as well. The version that I have is no longer available, but the newer version is essentially the same with the addition of support for micro SD cards. Details are here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310

Chris
December 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks but I'm looking for a dash mount that has a screen large enough to read. My eTrex was good but the small screen rendered it fairly useless when driving.