PDA

View Full Version : A bomb got dropped on us

BLOODBANE
December 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I am a member of TheRangerStation.com and found out tonight that FORD wants the site owner(Jim Oaks) to pay them 5000.00 and change the name of the site. By the 19th of December. Here is the link to the thread.....
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32801
I guess thats how they plan on getting back in the black. Dumb way to treat your loyal customers......

Jimmy
December 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Gotta pay for those private jet trips to D.C. somehow...

4Runninfun
December 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM
i read that thread and it honestly makes me too angry to comment. :mad:

Chris
December 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM
That's absurd! Outrageous that Ford's attacking their supporters. I'll read the thread and link to the Mustang site more thoroughly. Have they won any of these? I know a guy who was threatened with such a suit after building a site using an artist's name and content about the artist.

This guy responded pretty much saying "Go ahead and sue, I'm giving this artist and his work exposure for free and you, the rights holder, are getting the benefits." They never followed through.

solid rock
December 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
is it Ford of Uganda or Ethiopia.

can Ford do this?

Chris
December 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
It's questionable but they have the staff lawyers and it doesn't cost them anything (other than good will) to threaten people. Use of their logos is a violation of course but typically they over look that when it's basically a fan club. Weird that they would though, especially now.

Good news Jim - I don't think there's any Solid Rock that will come after you or any Front Range to come after me. ;)

mtnfj
December 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Maybe they'll go after the Ford Foundation next...or maybe they'll sue the Betty Ford Clinic for a name change. What's next? Soon we'll be reading in the paper that from now on we will have to start putting Vega beans on our burritos instead of Pinto beans! Sheesh! Do we really need to go through the trouble of finding a new planet? Sometimes it seems like it's the thing to do.

Pathrat
December 9th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe they'll go after the Ford Foundation next...or maybe they'll sue the Betty Ford Clinic for a name change. What's next? Soon we'll be reading in the paper that from now on we will have to start putting Vega beans on our burritos instead of Pinto beans! Sheesh! Do we really need to go through the trouble of finding a new planet? Sometimes it seems like it's the thing to do.

Great illustrative point!

Funrover
December 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I don't need to read the link to know this is BS!

SCRubicon
December 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
They want this guy to pay 5k, and turn over the domain name? I guess Ford is really feeling the pinch of the economy if they are going after all of these people for trademark infringement. Threatening $100,000 lawsuits? Happy bankruptcy proceedings FoMoCo...

Chris
December 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Just another example of why they should be allowed to fail. :mad:

Idiots, idiots, idiots...

KnuckleHead
December 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I too am a member there and got the same e-mail. As I further looked into it most of the problem is that they were selling stickers with FORDs logo without their permision. TRS has now taken them off and has filed for an agreement to use the name. I can see where they are coming from on the stickers but the name ????? thats BS if you ask me.

Funrover
December 10th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Well I read it..... is Ford actually part of this crap?

Chris
December 10th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Ford is instigating all that crap. :tsk:

Chris
December 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I too am a member there and got the same e-mail. As I further looked into it most of the problem is that they were selling stickers with FORDs logo without their permision. TRS has now taken them off and has filed for an agreement to use the name. I can see where they are coming from on the stickers but the name ????? thats BS if you ask me.

That's not unreasonable, it's a good idea to control one's logo and it is infringement pure and simple. I can defend that and it looks like the threats with large settlement dollars may just be a way to get the attention of everybody. It wouldn't make sense to alienate fan forums and I hope Ford is at least that smart.