PDA

View Full Version : 4months lay off

Weaver001
December 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
So how long is the season down for? Someone was telling me that the trails don't really open again till April. I was thinking four moths no trails tell me it aint so? I know pikes forest is closed and bill moore and Slaughter House could bereal bad. Just curious dont want to go get stuck up there or nothing.

Thankz

4Runninfun
December 21st, 2008, 02:08 PM
you can still do chinmans and china wall. those are open all year around. check out www.traildamage.com for directions

Chris
December 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM
I've done Argentine in the Winter a few times, also trails around Buena Vista are possibilities. You always have the option of breaking trails anywhere but don't do it alone. I think you'll find some folks here that don't let Winter slow them down much at all though I'm a bit of a weenie when it comes to snow.

Jimmy
December 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
I wheeled more last winter than I did the whole "fair weather wheeling" season this year. :lol: With gas back down to a sane cost, maybe I'll get out again this winter.

Chris
December 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM
You get the remodeling done Jimmy? I hope to get out this Winter, maybe another month before I'm able to get away though. :(

Brody
December 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
There are a lot of trails that get closed by the FS, but many remain open, at least to a point. Slaughterhouse is open, but the loop isn't a good idea even the gate is open. FS roads 810, 811, 125, 124 on this side of Kenosha are also open, it becomes a matter of how much snow is there. Some of the roads off of Tarryall Road outside of Jefferson are probably open, including Chinawall..again a matter of snow. I check traildamage.com for dates that trails have been run and also colo4x4.org to see what those guys have been running and what the conditions are, too.

Chris has a point-don't try wheeling alone as the chances for getting stuck (and I mean really stuck) are rather good. If you can go with someone with a winch, by all means do so. If you can't, make sure that you have some tow straps and shovels with you. A couple of extra passengers (read 'snow shovelers') and some extra shovels also help a lot. Trust me on this as almost everyone on the site has more than one 'horror' story about being stuck in the snow and doing a longgggggggggggg walk out...or spending the night. Hell, the trails don't even have to have snow on them to have an epic wheeling alone....

SCRubicon
December 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
You can forget about Bill Moore until June... Slaughterhouse is iffy. You just have to check it out. I've been on it in the dead of winter with no problems. But, I've also seen it impassable. As far as what's open there's always someplace to go - it only matters how far you're willing to travel. Jon mentioned China Wall (great snow trail) and Chris mentioned the trails around the BV area. Well worth the ride. I think Pete (brody) mentioned a snow run in one of the recent threads. We'll have to put something together.

Jimmy
December 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM
You get the remodeling done Jimmy?

Yep, a few months back. Business briefly got a start, but with the market in the toilet, it has been at a standstill. No worries - we're surviving with covering the cost of the remodeling, but there's not much money for anything else. Again, thank goodness gas is down in price - I'm hoping to do some wheeling again. :D

Chris
December 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM
As far as wheeling alone in Winter I learned the hard way and left my truck in the mountains when a blizzard was coming in. I knew it was coming and the temp was 70 degrees while I walked out. When my ride home showed up the sh*t had hit, I was lucky.

Don't learn the hard way. :eek:

Chris
December 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yep, a few months back. Business briefly got a start, but with the market in the toilet, it has been at a standstill. No worries - we're surviving with covering the cost of the remodeling, but there's not much money for anything else. Again, thank goodness gas is down in price - I'm hoping to do some wheeling again. :D

I must have missed this, you're not at Buckley any more? :confused:

Jimmy
December 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM

I must have missed this, you're not at Buckley any more? :confused:

Oh, I'm there still! I'm into my job for the long haul. It's my wife's business that's stalled. Given the market, I didn't expect things to go well. No problem, we can wait it out!

Funrover
December 21st, 2008, 10:37 PM
X3 on China Wall and OCG... What about Moab?

Chris
December 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Let's go to Moab! :thunb: