PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Gear List

Brody
December 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I came across this very nice recovery gear list when I was looking for some other junk. As it is pretty much compete and encompasses winter gear, too, it would be agood thing to copy and print and use for a check off list before you go wheeling.

Recovery Gear List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread will become a List of recovery equipment that you should have in your vehicle when you go off-road. There will never be a complete and perfect list because of all the different variations possible but this will get everybody started off to a safe and fun trip. Always remember that even though you may not think you need it, somebody else may. The 4x4ing community is all about having fun and teaching and helping others. I can't count how many times the guys in my 4x4 club have helped me out. This list was created after reading many variations on LOTS of websites.
First things First: Always bring a buddy! Never go off-road alone, it's the #1 Way how to ruin your day!

Basic 4x4 Recovery List
Tow Hooks and or Shackles in front and rear are a MUST HAVE!
Spare Tire
Accessory Bag or Gear Bag with following items:
Snatch Strap (usually 3"x30' is what is used and are rated up to 24,000lbs)
Tree Saver Strap
D-Ring Shackles ¾ x2
Snatch Block
Come-A-Long - This is the poor mans winch. You can winch yourself out by handpower with a ratchet style cable.
Work Gloves
Utility Blanket or old Army/Navy Blanket
Receiver Shackle if you have a hitch receiver or if the guys you ride with do. NEVER PUT A STRAP OVER THE HITCH BALL!!! I HAVE SEEN THE MOST EXPERIENCED RIDERS DO THIS AND CAUSE FLYING BULLETS, THESE BALLS ARE RATED FOR TONGUE WEIGHT NOT PULLING THEY WILL SNAP!
Chain 10 to 15ft (for moving downed trees and logs from your path) NEVER USE A CHAIN TO PULL OUT A RIG! I learned this the hard way and hurt someone VERY bad!
Cheap Lighter Circuit Operated Air Compressor (better than none at all if you don't have OBA yet)

Intermediate Recovery List (in addition to above)
Fire Extinguisher(s) Lots of people mount these onto the rollbar or cage.
First Aid Kit
Hi-Lift Jack
Choke Chain and a way to attach it to the Hi-Lift
Off-Road Base for Hi-Lift or a board to put under it.
Booster/Jumper Cables
Knee High rubber boots (can get these at a surplus store or Wal-Mart etc.)
5 Gal Water min. (store in Metal or Plastic Jerry Cans found at Military Surplus Stores) Remember you need 2qts per person per day just to survive.
5 Gal Extra Fuel min. (store in Metal or Plastic Jerry Cans found at Military Surplus Stores)
Air Tank or C02 tank with regulator (upgrade from lighter socket compressor)
CB Radio (40 Channel) handheld is better than nothing
Extra Fluids (Brake, Steering, Gear Oil/Tranny Fluid, Motor Oil, Coolant and water)
Basic Tool Kit with: screwdrivers, pliers, vice grips, sockets, combo wrenches, hammer, zip ties, pry bars, hose clamps, allen wrenches, Duct Tape, etc. You can use a second gear bag for this or bring a light box that locks shut tight. I don't suggest a metal tool box. Bring any tools you would use to make truck repairs. I suggest visting your local tool shows and buying "throw away tools for the trail" I picked up a set of Metric and Standard combo wrenches for $20 in a canvas/plastic roll-up bag can't beat the price! Also try Harbor Freight or Northern Tools

Advanced Recovery List
Winch
Two Snatch Blocks
Extra Clothing (suggest 2 complete sets in case others get wet) Wool or fleece will keep you warm even if it does get wet.
Rain Gear
Air Tank or On-Board-Air System (upgrade from tank)

Emergency repair kit
Emergency fan belt(or a complete set of fan belts)
Hose repair kit
JB Weld
Gas tank repair epoxy
Starting fluid
spare nuts and bolts
lock tite
WD-40
multi-meter
electrical wire
Wire crimp connectors and crimper(optional)
Duct Tape(good quality)
Bailing wire
Road flares
Road triangle
jumper cables
spare bulbs and fuses
electrical tape
Repelling rope- for hill rescue work
wheel chocks
Spare wiper blades
High pressure hose to fit over all your tubing with clamps
Hand Cleaner
Rags
Spare Batteries
Hack Saw
small tubing cutter
Silicone gasket maker
Spare spark plug and wire (usually the longest one on the motor so you can put it anywhere)
Tie Straps(wire ties)
U-joints
Axle Shaft or repair sleeves with welder
Spare tune-up stuff--wires,plug,points,condenser,coil,ect
Tire repair kit

COLD WEATHER
Hat
Pair of gloves
Thick pairs of socks
One pair of boots or other form of comfortable footwear (trainers not recomended)
Warm jacket of fleece
Pairs of warm trousers
Set of Waterproof outer garments
Sleeping mat
Sleeping bag
Bright colored Jell-O for Snow Markings
Tire Chains

MISC:
Extra Parts that are common to break on your type of rig. Such as Birfield Joints, or Axles
Fluids
Consumables (JB Weld, Duct Tape, Electrical Tape, Spool of electrical wire, etc)
Bungee Cords/Tie Down straps
Rope and learn how to tie knots or print instructions with pictures and keep them with the rope (for when Tie Down straps won’t work or helping create shelter etc)
Pioneer Kit: Shovel, Axe, Pick etc… OR....
The Max Axe Max Ax Multi Purpose Tool
Small back pack and water bottles/canteen, in case you need to walk out
Pocket Knife
Compass
GPS (good if you get stranded and need to give rescue team your cordinates!)
Thomas Guides/Topographic Maps/Trail Guides etc
Extra Flashlight and batteries
Hatchet
Sleeping Bag
Shelter (tent, tarp, etc)
Stove and Fuel
Mess Kit (camping mugs, plates, bowls etc)
Come Along
Saw/ Chain saw if possible
Digital Camera
Binoculars
Garbage Bags
Hat
Sunglasses
Ice and Ice Chest or Cooler, or a ARB Fridge
Cooler Cup or Coozy
Jacket
Snacks

And here is another link for more information: