PDA

View Full Version : Engine is put back together and started

4Runninfun
December 27th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Well I've had my truck back together for about a week now driven it around a bit, the loudest clatter and the puff of blue smoke at startup are both gone. but my engine is still VERY chattery. which bothers me to NO END!

so now fast forward to today i'm reading the post that brody made about getting more from your 22-RE. and i came across the post on 4x4wire by engnbldr. he talks about this and that and then he starts talking about the head and all the things you can do wrong and that will make it noisy. CRAP! he is describing many of the issues i'm having with my truck. i won't go into all the details but suffice to say that i'm about ready to stake the PO of my truck down in the desert and let the vultures have it.:mad: I'm getting very irritated at all the problems i'm finding with my truck. I think the best thing i can do now is get a new head, have everything machined true, and rebuild everything so i know it's right.

Chris
December 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Bummer Jon, sorry to hear this. :(

Are you going for the rebuild or still thinking about alternatives?

Patrolman
December 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM
That is a real bummer. Might be cheaper to buy a new head?

4Runninfun
December 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
right now i'm not quite sure what route i'm going to pursue. by the time i buy a new head machine the block do a few other odds and ends i'm probably going to be close to the cost to do the 3.4 upgrade. and then there is always the appeal to do the 3-L conversion. so i'm not sure and while i save up some cash i'll have time to decide.

Brody
December 28th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I thought that you had already had the head work done or had bought a new head. Did you just do the valve guides and seals and clean it up? Clatter almost has to be coming from the timing chain or valve lash, doesn't it? I redid a 22RE and screwed up something simple with the timing chain and/or tensioner. Don't remember what it was, just that it was simple to fix and made a racket. Supposed to be a 'mystery' bolt done there, too, so maybe that was what it was.

Next one I had that went belly up, I had so many miles on that I just stuck a used engine from a Corolla or something in it. Got it for $500 at Yota Yard and did the swap, start to finish, in a day. Had a nicer cam profile in it, too, so it had a better power curve. (??!!)

At any rate, good luck....

4Runninfun
December 28th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I did have the valve guides done i didn't figure anything else was going on (stupid me). while reading the post by engnbldr he mentioned some things shops do that can cause problems. one of the things he specifically mentioned that i know i saw was a shim under the valve spring. he talks about how putting a shim there is ridiculous and causes things to get mashed. another thing he talks about is how to properly setup and install a performance cam. The PO put a new cam in there and given everything else sounds like he didn't that correctly either. bottom line is i'm tired of chasing problems, the yota is drive-able as is right now and in the meantime i'm gonna save up some cash and have everything done RIGHT. it's awful frustrating to have your truck torn down time and again and miss wheeling trips. :mad: besides then i have to hear all the web wheeling comments from the peanut gallery...:lol:

Funrover
December 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Damn that sucks, i am really sorry to hear all of this

Brody
December 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM
So Jon...exactly how do you web wheel??

Sorry(almost)...just couldn't resist....

Pathrat
December 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM
web wheeling. I think they have examples on the H3 board :D

Kidding Jon! I am waiting for you to show up on a run though! :)

4Runninfun
December 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
yeah yeah like i said the peanut gallery...;)

Chris
December 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Careful using 'Peanut" there Jon, you don't want to get on Tye's bad side. :D

Chris
December 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Oops, I may have violated an unspoken agreement here - I'll report this to the admin! :D

4Runninfun
December 28th, 2008, 09:01 PM
naww thats ok i'll think i'll stick with my statement, :lol:

Brody
December 29th, 2008, 03:35 AM
That is Peanut....he OWNS the gallery....

SCRubicon
January 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Looks more like the gallery owned Mr. Peanut...lol :D

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Tye/DSCN4395.jpg

Funrover
January 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
But at least he has fresh eggs.... I am out right now DO'H

isotel
January 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
You Checked the Valve Adjustments Right? they should be done on a Hot Engine, and or Done Tighter that spec due to a worn out used engine..
This IS Spec
Intake 0.20mm (0.008in)
Exhaust 0.30mm (0.012in)

Maybe Try
(0.007in)
(0.011in)

I dont know, my 22re still Sings nice and loud but it Runs good... New Head and Chain.