PDA

View Full Version : Ice Racing "Fun Day"

SCRubicon
December 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Friday January 2nd is a "Fun Day" to practice up on your ice racing skills @ Georgetown lake. I still have a small stack of free passes.

(here's some cut and pasted info)

Friday, Fun Day for Practice
No one will practice Friday until all tracks have been set-up! We will start set-up around 10am, any help is appreciated and will get everyone practicing sooner. Cost is $5 per driver (I have the free passes for FR4x4 members) and you need to have a valid driver's license (remember to bring it with you!). Participants will also need to sign a waiver before driving onto the ice Friday!

Guidelines:

1. Practice is open to 4 Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive vehicles only. Bare Rubber and studded tires only.
2. Seat belts are always required and helmets for those with studded tires.
3. YOU MUST BE IN CONTROL OF YOUR VEHICLE AT ALL TIMES!!! These practice days get crowded and we need to be aware of one another. Don't drive across other tracks, don't drive too close to finish lines or the outside of corners. Absolutely no speeding off course. No donuts, drifting or messing around. If you can't control yourself, we will kick you and everyone in your vehicle off the ice.
5. Take care of our tracks and equipment. Replace any http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/images/misc/vbglossarlink.gif (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&item=cones) cones (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&item=cones) you hit AFTER you complete the lap and follow the marked courses. Clean up any trash and spills.
6. Follow Our Gang practice/racing guidelines. This is still an organized event. Only 2 vehicles on track, no wheel to wheel racing, no cutting the staging line, etc...

SCRubicon
December 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Saturday is Studs and Cheaters racing.(Competition & Pro Street) Sunday is Bare Rubber racing.(Competition, Pro Street & Street Stock) If you don't race, it's still fun to watch.

Studs ~

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/IceRaces2008/DSCN2899.jpg

Cheaters~

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Jeep%20Creations/ice13.jpg

Bare Rubber~

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Jeep%20Creations/ice10.jpg

4Runninfun
December 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
the cheater class is just a bunch of gas powered buzz saws!

Chris
December 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Friday January 2nd is a "Fun Day" to practice up on your ice racing skills @ Georgetown lake. I still have a small stack of free passes.

Hoping I can make it, won't know until Friday though. :(

Who's going for sure?

SCRubicon
December 29th, 2008, 10:03 PM
the cheater class is just a bunch of gas powered buzz saws!

No kidding... Some of those Jeeps have upwards of 500 Hp. :eek:

SCRubicon
December 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hoping I can make it, won't know until Friday though. :(

Who's going for sure?

I'll be there for sure. I think Funrover is trying. JettaTruck n' and Patrolman(I think) got some passes. I'll bring the extras w/ me. Whatever we don't use we can keep for the next Fun Day.

Chris
December 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM
:thunb: That looks like fun, hope I can make it.

Patrolman
December 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Jetta'Truckin and myself won't be able to make it this Friday. I could have an extra pair of tix for Friday if anyone needs them. I plan on going in February. Dave had oral surgery this morning and was REALLY messed up on pain meds. He won't be doing anything this week. :(

Brody
December 30th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Too short of notice for this Friday. I am probably going to be working, at any rate. Later in the year would be good.

Besides, it sounds like it is going to be like the first day of ski season with everyone going crazy...more fun to watch than participate....

Chris
December 30th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Sorry to hear that Dave, do you get the amoxicillin by the quart?

Tye
December 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM
We will for sure go watch the racing...but I'm gonna pass on the actual ice racing. Cause I'll more than likely be hanging :cheers: now if I only had a FR 4X4 shirt :rant:

Chris
December 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM
We will for sure go watch the racing...but I'm gonna pass on the actual ice racing. Cause I'll more than likely be hanging :cheers: now if I only had a FR 4X4 shirt :rant:

I think I'll be joining you on the sidelines Tye.

FR4X4 T-Shirts haven't made much progress but I'll be taking care of that myself asap.

Brody
December 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
After the 'first day fervor' has died down, it would be fun to get a bunch of us from Front Range together and enter the bare rubber class. You gotta realize that your top speed in the bare rubber class on ice is only going to be around 20 mph, if that. Any more and you go winging off the course..much like spinning around in an ice covered empty parking lot.

To me, it is the most fun class as everyone, including you, is an amatuer and just out there to have a good time. The studded classes are where the folks get way too serious about winning and, guess what...there goes all the fun. It sure does paste a stupid grin on your face, too.

spacely
December 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
DARN...wish I could make it but I'm having the jeep looked at since it's making a funny noise

Brody
December 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Not one of those "Oh...I'll get used to it.." noises, I take it? Mine makes those sometimes...I spend the time to clean the underside, hours crawling around looking here and there, tightening this and that and sometimes it goes away after this and then sometimes it just goes away on it's own. I figure if it doesn't do that metal on metal sound, starts, stops, steers and drives ok, no clouds of smoke, there is no really loud clunking and banging and it hasn't spewed oil all over, it is probably ok...I know that I niether start nor stop as well as I used to do before I got to the high mileage state I find myself in...

Anyway, good luck with the Jeep...

SCRubicon
December 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Come on Space, it's a Jeep. Funny noises are what they are known for. (and leaking) Unless it's funny like Jerry Seinfeld funny...then you better get it to a mechanic. :D

Chris
January 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
What time does this start?

gragravar
January 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM
What time does this start?

the practice session for tomorrow? It doesnt. I read on another forum that it has been canceled because it has been too warm and the ice has gotten too thin. Although I trust the person I heard it from, you might want to check the our gang ice racing site to be sure.

Chris
January 1st, 2009, 07:36 PM
News & Updates
Our site was updated on January 1, 2009.

PLEASE READ!!
THERE WILL BE NO RACES THIS WEEKEND, JANUARY 2, 3 & 4. WE LOST 3 INCHES OF ICE OVER THE WEEK FOR A TOTAL OF 8 INCHES; WHICH IS NOT ENOUGH TO HOLD A RACE. PLEASE LET YOUR FRIENDS KNOW ABOUT THIS CANCELATION. THE TUESDAY OUR GANG MEETING AT 7:30 PM WILL BE HELD AS USUAL. WE WILL DECIDE HOW TO MAKE UP RACES AND WHEN FUN DAY WILL BE MOVED AT THIS MEETING. PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITE AFTER THE MEETING FOR INFORMATION. WE ARE STILL HOPING FOR COLD WEATHER THIS WEEK AND RACING TO START JANUARY 10 & 11.

SCRubicon
January 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks for posting this up Chris.

Brody
January 2nd, 2009, 04:31 AM
Thanks for posting that Chris. Where did you locate the update?

Chris
January 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
http://www.ourgangiceracing.com/

Fortress of Tranquility
January 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Anyone headed up on the 30th?

SCRubicon
January 18th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Anyone headed up on the 30th?

I'm going to try...

PovertyByJeep
January 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I am brand new to this site. SCRubicon asked me to check it out.

I have raced up at Georgetown for years- I went as a kid and watched, and now race as an adult with my family.

Anyone who is interested, I HIGHLY recommend it. It is a BLAST!!

Fun Day is an excellent chance to try it out, but if you can't make it for Fun Day; any weekend works. You can, seriously, come up and trophy your first weekend up there. I've seen it done numerous times.

For the more ambitious, the Pro street studs class is the next step above bare rubber. I personally have raced in all classes, and pro street is where I race now. It is the most fun in my opinion. The people that race in Pro-Street are literally like family. It's nothing to loan our rig to somebody that is broken so we can race- it is ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN. There are always folks there to win- but they burn out and leave quickly. Those of us that just enjoy racing stick around.

I've typed enough- I'll check this thread often to offer input. If any of you make it up this weekend, I'll be there. White Willys with a green hood. Stop by, and if I can, I'll get you a ride.

Brody
January 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Welcome to the site and thanks for the input and the offer. I have only (sorta) raced in the bare rubber class and it was a hoot. Nice to get input from someone who is much more involved, too.

How about some specs on what you run, just out of curiousity, to see how it differs from a , say, set up crawler. Like I said, I have participated (better word than raced for me) and seen the real races and rigs, but never really got a chance to talk to anyone who is into the ice racing stuff.

PovertyByJeep
January 29th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the site and thanks for the input and the offer. I have only (sorta) raced in the bare rubber class and it was a hoot. Nice to get input from someone who is much more involved, too.

How about some specs on what you run, just out of curiousity, to see how it differs from a , say, set up crawler. Like I said, I have participated (better word than raced for me) and seen the real races and rigs, but never really got a chance to talk to anyone who is into the ice racing stuff.

The main difference in my rigs is height and weight. BUT- there is a lifted box bronco that runs in pro street and does awesome.

My "wheeling" jeep is a CJ5 which has waggy axles, springs over, detroit rear, auto etc...

The "racer" is a willys which has waggy axles, spring under (0 lift), spool in the rear, 351W, C4. The motor is mild- around 300HP, the tranny is stock with a shift kit. The spool in the rear is the only thing I do differently than everyone else. All the other pro-street guys are open.

I raced my wheeling jeep before I built the racer. Other than more body lean than I liked (RTI nearly 1000), it did great.

Two champion pro street jeeps are built with manual transmissions, and several others are automatics. There are benefits to both, and it usually boils down to the driver's preference.

An extremely built crawler is headed the wrong direction for studs class, but anything would be fun. Driving studs is just like driving on a loose gravel road.

If you go to www.ourgangiceracing.com (http://www.ourgangiceracing.com) Click on Photos and video, then take a peak at the bare rubber, studs, and cheaters videos- it'll be pretty apparent the difference in classes. The videos are all "comp" jeeps with steering brakes.

SCRubicon
January 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM
So tomorrow is a fun day? Who is going up? I still have the free passes from when I went to Toys For Tots...

PovertyByJeep
January 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM
So tomorrow is a fun day? Who is going up? I still have the free passes from when I went to Toys For Tots...

Can I get a couple of those? :lol:

Just kidding-

Seriously, though- there are only a couple fun days each season. They are a great time to try it out, as it is cheaper, and you can run as many times as there is time for. To try and learn on actual race days is tough, because it is a laddered eliminations. Sometimes you're out after your first loss. Sometimes you'll get to race several times. Even if you are lucky and get to run a bunch, it is still like 1/10th the number of times as Fun Day.

It is a GREAT time, most of the people up there are super nice, and you get to beat on your rig a bit! Who could ask for more?

Check out the rules on the website, make sure your rig is up to snuff and come play! It's a "blastie blast."

SCRubicon
January 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Can I get a couple of those? :lol:

Just kidding-

I still have 15, and gave Tye around 10 :D Random question - do you need a tech inspection on fun day before you get your ride out on the ice?

PovertyByJeep
January 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I still have 15, and gave Tye around 10 :D Random question - do you need a tech inspection on fun day before you get your ride out on the ice?

Yep, tech is required.

Major items:
Roll bar or hardtop
Overflow can for radiator (at least 12oz)
Neutral Safety switch for autos.
Battery secured
No large fluid leaks

Again, check the rules on the website- everything required is on there, these are just ones I can remember.