PDA

View Full Version : CW Recovery Run JAN 11

Pathrat
December 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM
China Wall Sunday January 11th
Learn about recovery techniques or brush up on and share your skills! All on a snow run!
This is where to post if you are going.

Denver Group: meet at the Conifer Safeway at 830am; then to Jefferson, ETA of 930; trailhead at 10am

COSprings group, please just post where you want to meet

Please read the Workshop thread of what to bring. :)

NEW, PLEASE NOTE, WE WILL ALSO HAVE HOT DOGS! :pig:
-Stephanie
720-220-9283

Funrover
December 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Babysitting my nieces sorry

4Runninfun
December 30th, 2008, 09:50 PM
bummer i'm gonna be out of town.

Brody
December 31st, 2008, 04:40 AM
We are in. Bren is in. Bear is a maybe.

Here is the traildamage.com link to China Wall. It was taken in probably the same kind of winter conditions that we are going to find there. If you watch the slide show, look closely at the unbroken snow and the single set of animal tracks on it. Those are your basic cat tracks, either a bocat, lynx, or mountain lion. Probably not lynx tracks as they generally stay more on the surface of the snow due to the webbing in their paws........

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=61

You also might want to bring a friend or two to ride along and an extra shovel...

Dirt Claude
December 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM
Count me in too

Tye
December 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Mator & me are in :2thumbs:

Pathrat
December 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Excellent! We should have a good turnout for this! :thunb:

JeepersCreepers
December 31st, 2008, 09:10 PM
I'll be there! :D

JeepersCreepers
December 31st, 2008, 09:17 PM
I also have a friend coming too so that'll be one more
:thunb:

Brody
January 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM
Great so far! Hey AJ, you and some friends gonna go??

Warrlord
January 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM
I'll try & make it.

Chris
January 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM
I'll know the morning of if I can make it. :(

Pathrat
January 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM
I'll know the morning of if I can make it. :(

If I miss your post, will you give one of us a call if you will be at a meet point so we don't accidentally leave you behind? :)

Chris
January 1st, 2009, 09:25 PM
I'll call someone if I'm on my way, otherwise assume I won't be there. :(

Chris
January 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Change of plans - it looks like I will be there for sure. After playing in the snow yesterday Barb said this would be a good thing. :D

Also met a Tacoma owner at the parts store who's interested in joining us since he's new to off roading.

Pathrat
January 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Change of plans - it looks like I will be there for sure. After playing in the snow yesterday Barb said this would be a good thing. :D

Also met a Tacoma owner at the parts store who's interested in joining us since he's new to off roading.

Cool! We will bring our grill, plates and the hot dogs if people will pitch in with rest of the stuff.

DETN8R
January 3rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm in. With gas prices low I should be able to make it.

Chris
January 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Cool! We will bring our grill, plates and the hot dogs if people will pitch in with rest of the stuff.

I'll bring a bunch of chips and Barb's famous dip.

Brody
January 4th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Just heard from Dave Pritchett and he and Karla are going to be there. Bear is also going to be there and running his near stock Taco. I emailed AJ (Weaver001) as he said that he was interested in doing this when I met him. I haven't heard back from him yet. Sounds like a really nice turn out. Can't wait to see what the 'on site' weather report from 'The Boys' is going to be...

Brody
January 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM
FYI

I am going to have some of my HiLift jack accessories with me on this run in addition to my tow strap links.

The first allows the Hi Lift to be used with any tubing on your rig to allow for safe lifting. These are available for $40 and come in a gloss black finish.

The second allows two tow straps to be easily hooked together for additonal length. These are available for $10 each and are also in gloss black. The picture shows a much used and abused protype....

4runner freak
January 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Babysitting my nieces sorry

Ironically, So am I.
Not to mention a friend is borrowing my 4runner while he is replacing the HG in his truck.

4Runner3Wheeler
January 5th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I'm IN!!! I may have a dog, wife, or buddy with me in my rig.

I'm so happy to have come to the site today to see this post. I'm totally in and look forward to it.

Brody, I too would like a tube attachment!!! I can pay cash this weekend if you have some ready.

I look forward to it.

FYI

I am going to have some of my HiLift jack accessories with me on this run in addition to my tow strap links.

The first allows the Hi Lift to be used with any tubing on your rig to allow for safe lifting. These are available for $40 and come in a gloss black finish.

The second allows two tow straps to be easily hooked together for additonal length. These are available for $10 each and are also in gloss black. The picture shows a much used and abused protype....

Brody
January 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I am going to have 4 of them with me, maybe a few more. Dave Nay has dibs on one of those 4. Looking forward to seeing you again on the trail!

Glad you saw the post, too. I also wanted to talk to you and see how the ice climbing was going.

Brody
January 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Bear and Bren for sure and I just talked to friend of Andrew's who is also going to meet us at the Safeway. Looks like a great turn out...we'll see who actually makes it!

How many folks are bringing kids and dogs?? Andrew's friend Chris asked, so I thought I would get a kid and dog count going.....

4Runner3Wheeler
January 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I call dibs on one of the four. We'll chat more on the trail (don't want to hijack). :D

I am going to have 4 of them with me, maybe a few more. Dave Nay has dibs on one of those 4. Looking forward to seeing you again on the trail!

Glad you saw the post, too. I also wanted to talk to you and see how the ice climbing was going.

Chris
January 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
If they'll work on my square tubes I's still like one Pete.

Pathrat
January 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Brody, looking at your pictures, I see what the little metal half circle in my pag was for. :)

This looks like it is going to be a great turnout!:thunb:

Just a reminder, we are bringing the dogs and plates and grill, will someone pony up for buns? Maybe a bottle of mustard? Please? :bow:

CO Springs group, will anyone coming from the south post up your meet time and place?

Thanks everyone!!!

Brody
January 6th, 2009, 05:34 AM
We are going to be bringing buns and some extra edibles.

Chris-you got one if it fits. If not, I'll make one with larger stock that will fit your tubes..

Warrlord
January 6th, 2009, 06:28 AM
CO Springs group, will anyone coming from the south post up your meet time and place?

Looks like I might be the only one from the Springs going? I still have to get my ducks in a row first. Meaning, I have to drive to Golden to get my shovel then Greeley to get my tow strap that were lent out from my last run up north. Come to think of it, I'd spend about the same just getting a new shovel from Home Depot & a new tow strap from 4wp when compared to buying gas for that drive. :) Yeah, that's what I'll do then I'll have 2 straps & shovels then next time I meet up with my buddies up there :thunb:

Any Springs wheelers going that haven't posted up yet?

I can bring mustard & buns. I think I'm gonna bring my Coleman stove & coffee pot & tea kettle for hot chocolate for the kiddies.

Dirt Claude
January 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I' ll be there with my oldest boy (10yrs old). I can bring up some chips and other snacks.

Telly
January 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm in with the fam. We will definitly be snarfing some saturated fat at the Donut Mill in Woodland Park at 9:00am if anyone whats to join us. We will plan on meeting everyone else at the trailhead at 10:00am. We will bring some homemade cookies.

Doug

Edit: Nevermind...last minute business trip to Telluride and yes I will be bringing my skis.

Weaver001
January 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM
aye, would love to attend may bring another. Looking forward to meeting most of you and having a great trip. so 1 maybe two.

Brody
January 7th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Great AJ! I was hoping that you would go and bring a friend or two also!

Weaver001
January 7th, 2009, 10:03 PM
yeah prob just be me and my rig everyones scared. to be honest im a little nervous. but hell yeah ill be there at lest make an appearance see what happens .

Pathrat
January 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
yeah prob just be me and my rig everyones scared. to be honest im a little nervous. but hell yeah ill be there at lest make an appearance see what happens .

I can be quite a weenie so I can say you will be fine, given the trails you have already done and what you drive. :)

Brody
January 8th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Not to worry AJ! Your rig will do just fine on the trail. You will also get all the advice and help that you could possibly need, too. Remember that you won't be the only person that doesn't have a huge amount of snow and/or wheeling experience. It a great group of friendly people, too, so by the end of the day you will feel like you have known everyone for quite awhile.

Anyway, it is all about having fun and winter fun is just a slightly twisted version of summer fun. Check out the photos of the Jan 4 China Wall trail run, last years China Wall winter run (in the trail run reports section), and also the traildamage.com link to see what the conditions are probably going to be like for us.

Funrover
January 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Your rig will be just fine! :thunb:

JeepersCreepers
January 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I'm coming up from the springs and will be at the doughnut mill @ 9 am sharp!:D

DETN8R
January 8th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Me and maybe a buddy from work will probably be at the trailhead at 10am

Brody
January 9th, 2009, 04:20 AM
It looks like all the Springs people are meeting at the Donut Mill at 9:00AM and the Denver people at the Conifer Safeway/Starbucks at 8:30.

I didn't go through all the posts, but it looks like at least Warlord and UA and friends are coming from the Springs. Dave Pritchett and Chris are coming from SE Denver and the last time they did this run, they went via I25>Hwy24>Tarryall, so they might meet you guys at the Donut Mill, too.

My cell is 303-507-3066 and I'll be on channel 4 on the CB.

Chris
January 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Wow, better than a dozen trucks. I invited another guy today, looks like it'll be fun especially if everyone shows up. :D

Brody
January 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah, at least a dozen. Some folks are going to be bringing some other friends along, too...I am looking forward to it!

Everybody start thinking about 'Well, if I managed to get stuck like this, how the hell am I going to get myself out??" scenarios....

Funrover
January 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
This has the making of a great sounding day, hope you all have a blast.. I will be there in spirit

Chris
January 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Everybody start thinking about 'Well, if I managed to get stuck like this, how the hell am I going to get myself out??" scenarios....

I'll jump to the head of the line on this - stuck nose down with one anchor behind you and a front mounted winch. :confused:

Brody
January 10th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Make sure to bring it up...Having been there a few times before(see pics from Slaughterhouse...that trail has holes that just LOVE my heap!) I have come up with a few ways that I would have done a self extraction had I been by myself....

Weather is looking good: temps in the mid to high 30's and partially cloudy with no chance of snow. Sounds like a perfect day, especially since we are all going to be doing some standing around outside at times. Great day for any newbies on their first snow run, too, as there is probably going to be 'just enough', but not too much, snow....

Warrlord
January 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I won't be bringing my Coleman stove now. It got smashed in the garage. I will bring my camping table, some mustard, & the hotdog buns. How many buns should I bring? Anyone have a preliminary attendee headcount?

Telly
January 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a big run...wish I could make it.

BTW, the skiing in Telluride was Freaking AWESOME today.

Funrover
January 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
BTW, the skiing in Telluride was Freaking AWESOME today.

YOU SUCK!!!!

or I am jealious. LOL :D

Pathrat
January 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I won't be bringing my Coleman stove now. It got smashed in the garage. I will bring my camping table, some mustard, & the hotdog buns. How many buns should I bring? Anyone have a preliminary attendee headcount?

Looks like there will be close to 20. I will bring the Coleman stove. We bought 28 hot dogs, and as Funrover can attest, they are big dogs.

(Sorry this reply is a bit late)

DETN8R
January 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Sorry guys, I have to sit this one out.