PDA

View Full Version : Dig This

Chris
January 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Looks like fun if money wasn't a concern.

Warning - very annoying web 'design'

http://www.digthis.info/SandBox.htm

SCRubicon
January 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM
This was on the news a few months ago. I really wanted to do it until they mentioned the price.

Chris
January 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
I just read it in last summer's 5280 magazine. If I could afford it my concern would be how much 'supervision' they provide. :D

SCRubicon
January 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'd love to cut loose in one of those Cat 315CL excavators. The biggest thing I've ever operated was a John Deere 710 backhoe loader, but I've never been in anything on tracks.

Pathrat
January 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
This does look like fun and do tell, I bet the guys who run these on a full time basis don't get $600 a day to operate them. Kind of ironically funny.

SCRubicon
January 1st, 2009, 11:49 PM
This does look like fun and do tell, I bet the guys who run these on a full time basis don't get $600 a day to operate them. Kind of ironically funny.

Actually, it's not too far off. One of my friends from school was a heavy equipment operator for his neighbor's construction company. (16 years ago) He pulled in around $450 a day while at the controls. The only thing is he spent about 2 days a week on a machine and the other 3 on a shovel. Really good money for a freshman in college on summer break.

Brody
January 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
$450-$600 is about right for man and machine, especially when you get into the big stuff. The huge crane operators (the cranes that you see 24 of on the skyline going into downtown) get around $100 per hour....

SCRubicon
January 2nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Heck, if I ever get around to re-landscaping my backyard we can all take turns digging with the Bobcat skid steer :D I might even fire up the grill and have cold ones in the cooler when we're all done playing.

Jamie
January 2nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
First dibs on the bobcat.:woot:

Pathrat
January 2nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Actually, it's not too far off. One of my friends from school was a heavy equipment operator for his neighbor's construction company. (16 years ago) He pulled in around $450 a day while at the controls. The only thing is he spent about 2 days a week on a machine and the other 3 on a shovel. Really good money for a freshman in college on summer break.

$450-$600 is about right for man and machine, especially when you get into the big stuff. The huge crane operators (the cranes that you see 24 of on the skyline going into downtown) get around $100 per hour....

NO KIDDING! Is it that dangerous or is it that not many people do this? Wow. Next time I'll look it up before I spout.

Funrover
January 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Heck, if I ever get around to re-landscaping my backyard we can all take turns digging with the Bobcat skid steer :D I might even fire up the grill and have cold ones in the cooler when we're all done playing.

I'm in...... but looks like I am second..... dangit Jamie LOL

Chris
January 3rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking reforming the Dig This site for some wheeling would be fun. :)

Funrover
January 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
X2.... have some 4x4 games and give guided tours with a "HOW TO" on 4-wheeling

Chris
January 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
There was a couple planning in building a 4x4 park in Estes Park for such things. They were definite on it but haven't heard anything more.

Funrover
January 3rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
OYE, Estes is insanely busy already... but I guess it would get a good amount of tourism dollars.