PDA

View Full Version : are we that lazy now?

Roostercruiser
January 13th, 2009, 07:20 AM
ive noticed that every thing has been automated now. are we so lazy that we cant pull our own papertowels and squeze soap on our own hands anymore. gas stations and public restrooms have automatic towel machines where you put your hand in front and it gives you a very small amount of paper towel to dry your hands with. this morning at work the battery was dead in the machine and no paper towels and there is no manual backup how stupid. what next automatic toilet paper dispenser, and if the batteries died in that, that would suck.

Funrover
January 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
It's actually for saving $$$. When the machine tells you how much you are getting its more controlled an is easier on the bank account. One of the schools I work at actually has water free urinals. It's all about saving $$$

Roostercruiser
January 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM
did not know that thanks for filling me in, i feel stupid now.

Funrover
January 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM
did not know that thanks for filling me in, i feel stupid now.

No worries. Being a Janitor it does make my work easier hehehehehe

Patrolman
January 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I saw my first water-free urinal the other day. I was rather confused. It was at the Costco near my house. Looks like something from a prison camp, or at least the Army.

Brody
January 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I agree with the laziness. You should see some of the stuff in some of the multi multi million dollar homes I work on...voice activated everything, automatic temp sensors for the individual rooms, etc, etc. These homes have a huge amount of low voltage components to power all of this. One of the homes had so much LV wire in it that the LV guys started keeping track. They came up with 18 MILES of LV wire, if you can believe it...

SCRubicon
January 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM
My favorite is the blue cloth towel roller. Nothing like a giant spool of germs and disease. Collecting them was a driver's delight when I worked for UniFirst. How long does Hepatitis survive outside the body?

Pathrat
January 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
My favorite is the blue cloth towel roller. Nothing like a giant spool of germs and disease. Collecting them was a driver's delight when I worked for UniFirst. How long does Hepatitis survive outside the body?

I can answer that for you! :) Hepatitis can survive in dried blood for an entire YEAR! (giant spool of disease...lol!)

I am just fine with auto towel and soap dispensers in bathrooms. Generally the soap dispenser is touched before anything is actually washed...germy. The paper towel lever on the dispensers you push down to get the towel never gets cleaned.

Brody
January 14th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Try construction site 'port-o-lets' for a nice sanitary environment. We used to go to the 7-11 up the road just so that we wouldn't catch 'a gift that goes on giving'...

Over the road truck stops are another prime example...been in more than a few where the toilet and surrounds were actually black. I did my stuff behind the bathroom outside...

bskey
January 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Haha... funny this topic is being discussed. This morning I took a dollar out of the pocket of my jeans from last night and held it in my mouth while I grabbed my wallet and put the pants in the laundry basket. I grabbed the dollar and it had one of those "www.wheresgeorge.com" stamps and it grossed me out, thinking about how many hands, wallets, pockets and mouths that had been in; and it had just been in mine. I hate that time in the morning when I'm trying to be productive but not thinking clearly.... damn. Gives me the heebeejeebees just thinking about it!

And yeah, as a society we have gotten entirely lazy. My generation was raised on it. On demand food (hot pockets, drive throughs, microwavable anything), on demand cable, on demand conversations via text & cell phones, everything at our finger tips on the web, etc. It makes me wonder what's next?

Funrover
January 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM
It's sad really, I ride my bike often and while on many trails the kids get winded in a heartbeat and don't enjoy anything outdoors. I worry about the future. With my wife working at an elementary school it makes matters worse. Kids quit playing tag because it's to much work.... WTF??!?!?!?!?! I love being outside and being active, when did everything change?

SCRubicon
January 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I grabbed the dollar and it had one of those "www.wheresgeorge.com" stamps and it grossed me out, thinking about how many hands, wallets, pockets and mouths that had been in; and it had just been in mine.

Or, stripper's G-strings...http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/puke.gif

on demand conversations via text & cell phones, everything at our finger tips on the web, etc. It makes me wonder what's next?

That's why I don't have my own cell phone anymore...I like uninterrupted me time.

It's sad really, I ride my bike often and while on many trails the kids get winded in a heartbeat

Hey, hey, hey, hey... Oh yeah... The kids. :D I gave up riding my bike when I was 16. Got back into it in my mid 20's, then moved out here and never got back on.

I worry about the future. With my wife working at an elementary school it makes matters worse.

Not me.