PDA

View Full Version : Time to look for a new job

gragravar
January 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
I know some of you have already heard, but I got impacted by the layoffs at Sun today. My entire group got cut. The package is OK and will leave me with a couple months to find something new.

Anyway, I plan to decompress for a long weekend here - gonna go ski tomorrow. Then will jump into the job search. If you hear of any senior level product management or product operations jobs, I'd appreciate you passing them my way.

Funrover
January 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
If I do I will pass your way... I am on the job hunt currently also

Brody
January 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Sorry to hear that Andrew. I'll keep my ears open and will pass this onto LaDawn. My Christmas present from my company was a layoff, too. They shut down the whole Denver office. I got a dead bird and a cheap bottle of wine for my severance and no notice. Sounds like you fared a little better....

Chris
January 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Very sad news, too bad there's no comfort in numbers in this area. best wishes for quick re-employment Andrew.

gragravar
January 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
thanks guys. I appreciate the good thoughts. Yes, Brody, I did get treated significantly better than it sounds like you were. As packages go, its not the best I have seen, but by comparison its more than fair.

I am confident I'll find something.

Aaron, let me know what you are looking for. If I see something interesting I can pass it along.

Funrover
January 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Aaron, let me know what you are looking for. If I see something interesting I can pass it along.

Full Time that is all I am looking for right now

gragravar
January 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Full Time that is all I am looking for right now

LOL, thats not very specific, but If I see anything...

Pathrat
January 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Sucky, sorry to hear that and hope you find something soon.

bskey
January 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Wow... you hear and see that the job market is bad, but it;s really showing its teeth lately. I too will most likely be unemployed next week. I have already started interviewing and sending out resumes, and Craigslist has been my best friend. That and personal networks like this one.

Good luck with your job hunts! Anyone have any good ideas to start our own business so no one else can lay us off in the future?

Chris
January 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Just a bit of sarcasm but it appears the only job security is working for a placement agency. :(

Brody
January 23rd, 2009, 01:28 PM
Me, Bren and Rob are forming our own construction/ remodeling company due to all being laid off from the same company about a week apart. We have all had our own businesses in the past and know the pitfalls.

Starting your own business is fine and dandy...I have been self employed for almost my entire life and have only worked for about 8 years for other people since I started working around 14...but it is hustle all the time and long hours. You can't leave work when you leave work, if you get my drift, and the supposed freedom is almost a lark unless you happen to be making $100k or more a year...and that is net , not gross...

You also have to network like a ******* and be good at a lot of different things...people, management, bookkeeping, collections, legal BS, estimating, etc., PLUS whatever you are actually doing to make a living. Then there is health insurance, for both you and your family. This ends up costing a royal fortune. If you do anything where that needs liability insurance, there is another chunk of change. In our business, if you are doing one story work and nothing over that, you can get insurance for under $1k a year. We are currently working on getting a one million dollar remodel. Our insurance for just this one project is going to cost almost $10k for this project alone...

It also takes about 3 years for any start up company to make a profit...again, unless you happen to get lucky...

Don't mean to sound discuraging, just stating what you might be looking at.

That said, let me know what you are going to be doing and I'll certainly throw your name into the mix...networking, networking, networking.....

bskey
January 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Well Brody, good luck to you guys! I have done construction, but am only competent enough to mess up my own house. I'll be looking for customer service management, financial services and/or sales. I have an offer from Burt Ford to sell cars... but I have to be passionate about what I am selling, and I am not a huge Ford fan. Get me at the Subaru or Toyota dealership and it's on!

Patrolman
January 24th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I too am still looking :( I have been putting in 60+ hours most weeks lately trying to find something. My situation is a bit different than most. I have only been looking since September, but been out of work much longer.

In any case, networking is important. Also, having a strategy is important. I have been working diligently at both and can feel that I am getting closer to a possible job. Still no hard offers yet, but some interesting prospects.

As for car sales, I know several people who are in the biz. One is selling Toyota's at Burt. He is really struggling right now and he has been in the biz for many years. Car sales in general are just lacking big time.

If anyone is interested in financial securities/insurance sales, I have some inside contact info that might be appealing. PM me.

On a final note, is everyone on LinkedIn? It is a professional career networking site. It really works best if you build that network BEFORE you need it, but better late than never. Mine is well established now with some key contacts. Happy to invite anyone from here to my network. If you aren't on LinkedIn yet, I will be happy to guide you along.

bskey
January 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Interesting Jeff, I may be interested in your securities contact. That's what I do now.

Patrolman
January 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
PM me if you want to discuss.

Patrolman
February 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Anyone interested in going to networking events? I have 3 good ones that will be next week (10th, 12th, and 13th). All are free. 1 is by invite only.

gragravar
February 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Anyone interested in going to networking events? I have 3 good ones that will be next week (10th, 12th, and 13th). All are free. 1 is by invite only.

I'd love to join you for one of them. I can't make the 10th, but the 12th looks good. what time of day? where? I guess, PM me some details.

Patrolman
February 8th, 2009, 10:43 AM
The 10th is from 4:30 to 6:30PM in DTC and is invite only. I can take people.

The 12th is just West of DTC and should be from 6-8PM. It fills fast. Very productive.

The 13th has 2 events from 8:30-9:30AM. One is in Arvada, the other in DTC-ish area. They are matching events since the group got too large for one venue.

If anyone wants to attend, PM me for directions/locations. The 12th is more of a "professional" white collar event. The 10th is similar, but a blue collar could slip in. The 13th tends to be white collar, but they would allow anyone. All great people who have been VERY helpful in my job search!

scout man
February 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hey, just wanted to offer up that I am always looking for small jobs here and there to add to the income. If any of you with your construction jobs or anything are looking for some labor here and there feel free to send me a message. I have done some construction here and there, and am always willing to jump in on the physical part of anything, if you just need some extra hands from time to time!

Brody
February 9th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I'll certainly keep you in mind. We are waiting for a couple of jobs to break right now, but they are still in the works. Right at the moment, I am in the same boat you are in...looking for anything to help pay the bills...which don't seem to stop coming, do they?

Chris
February 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I was thinking of posting some work I would like to get done (interior painting, roofing) until I did a quick job on my taxes last night. :eek:

I might be looking for work now too. :mad:

Brody
February 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Ain't life just grand, too....This year we will all probably be paying $7k more in taxes so that we can get the economy back on track and from doing our part as American citizens to help the poor Fortune 500 companies, including the Big Three, make up for inflated CEO salaries and bad business judgements...

Doncha just love it??

Chris
February 9th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately w/o the Fortune 500 and the Big 3 the economy will continue the decline we're experiencing now. I think they will be getting their due as time goes on and the average Joe will become less tolerant (ignorant) of the ways things are done.

FR4x4 is a microcosm of the national economy and we will see more people here losing jobs before we see improvement. :(

My tax situation is my own doing, I grossly underestimated the consequences of drawing off so much taxable income from our retirement. :mad: