PDA

View Full Version : Flying...

SCRubicon
January 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Anybody else not like to? Every time I get on a plane there seems to be some kind of issue. Plastic bag sucked into the engine, wind shear, engine problems causing delays. There was one time flying into Philadelphia (way before I was married) when we hit severe turbulence and the hottie next to me latched on to my arm with a death grip and started to cry. I think the only good flight I ever took was leaving out of Mexico... Anyhow, I'm going to Los Angeles tomorrow - wish me luck :D

Funrover
January 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
Good luck.... may the hottie next to you this time cause more enjoyable pain hahahahaha

Brody
January 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Good luck, Steve...no drama...have fun, too

Every plane we got on going and coming from Aruba had something wrong with it. I told LaDawn that if we were driving a car that make sounds like that , we would stop it and see what was wrong. We were on a total of seven planes, too. Every one was making really horrid grinding, clunking and thunking noises...It was almost funny....

I am not a huge fan of flying, either. It is , to me, like having an operation..once you go under, it is pretty much out of your hands. Once you are in the air, same thing. If they have pilots that can fly like the one recently that sucked all the birds into the engine and managed to land in the river (true hero, that guy, too), I feel a little bit better..

I PO'd LaDawn cause I was bored so every time we hit some turbulence,I started making sounds and kept grabbing vomit bags just to see the looks of consternation on the passengers faces around us...Strange thing about humor...you usually appreciate yours more than other people do....Hey, 16-20 hours on planes does strange things...

Chris
January 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Just going to LA would cause me pain.

I'm not a fan of flying either though Barb loves it. After HS I went to tech school to be an airplane mechanic, got licensed and the economy tanked. Never did work in the industry due to FAA 'experience' rules. I think my dislike of flying is a result of my education - some things are better experienced in ignorance. :lol:

The worst experience I had was my flight to CO with Barb, the plane made a very fast evasive maneuver and Barb grabbed me hard. She never had anything like that in the gazillion miles she's flown.

OMG! We're doing it!

Let's tell horror stories to make Steve really nervous! :eek:

Funrover
January 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
BTW Steve I am not a big fan on flying myself.

gragravar
January 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
I kind of miss flying, For work I used to travel significantly - I was on a plane to somewhere pretty much every week. That was too much, but finding some work related travel would be good. The way I look at it, traveling about 25% of the time (1 week a month) would be perfect. It breaks the monotony of the office, but you dont feel like you are missing the events in your kids lives.

as for the actual flying part Its just kind of like taking the bus to work. a big bus, but still. just put on some headphones, turn on the ipod, and do some work on the laptop...

Pathrat
January 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
I HATE flying!

Yes, if I fly I want that guy,C.B. Sullenberger, as my pilot. Then, I wouldn't risk cracking arm rests, or Hugh's arm, with my death grip.

I hope your flight is very uneventful.

Brody, I can't imagine the other travellers not appreciating your amusing yourself with their reactions. :D

SCRubicon
January 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I PO'd LaDawn cause I was bored so every time we hit some turbulence,I started making sounds and kept grabbing vomit bags just to see the looks of consternation on the passengers faces around us...Strange thing about humor...you usually appreciate yours more than other people do....Hey, 16-20 hours on planes does strange things...

That's too funny... The last time I flew out of Philly to Denver there was a little girl a few rows behind us - retched her guts up for the entire flight. I eventually grew tired of hearing pukeosaurus rex, so I put the Ipod on. While we were at baggage claim I nearly cracked up. Her mom looked like she was hosed over with pancake batter...:D

Chris
January 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
We had a flight where a young woman was having a panic attack and was totally freaking out. Everyone was trying to help her and she knew everything was fine and she would say "Is this a panic attack? It's never happened to me before. I'm okay." Then we'd hit a bump and she would say "What was that? We're going to crash!" Then back to "I'm okay" and on and on.

I really felt for her, it was an exhausting flight for everyone. She very apologetic as she left saying she's never fly again.

Brody
January 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Thought that you would like that, Steve...there were a lot of folks on those flights that thought I was an utter a** hole, including LaDawn...

But, alas, I am an unrepentant one....Love your new avatar, BTW...Strike one for the good guys....