PDA

View Full Version : Gday fellas!!

dinga
January 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hey all,

Im Dinga and I live in western Queensland which is a state in Australia.

I own a 1997 GQ Nissan Patrol which has a 2.8LTR Turbo Diesel motor. It has a few accessories on it and is mainly setup for toruing around the country. My last trip was a total of over 8000kms.

I bought my vehicle stock standard apart from side steps. It now has:
Winch
Steel bar
Dual Battery system
UHF radio
Cruise control
Rear draws
Fridge slide
Spot lights
2" Lovell Lift
Alloy roofrack
265/75r16 bfgoodrich allterains

To come:
Cargo barrier
3" exhaust
side awning

Heres a photo of the old girl.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w160/lachiebell/26012009524-1.jpg

Man Jerk
January 27th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I would kill for a patrol.

Nice!

Chris
January 27th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the board, Dinga! That's a fine looking Patrol, you know we're all jealous! I suspect Patrolman will be green with envy. ;)

Look forward to hearing more from you!

:thunb:

4Runninfun
January 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
welcome to the board. great looking patrol!

Funrover
January 27th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Welcome, that is a sweet set up!

KnuckleHead
January 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Welcome aboard... nice rig you have going on there

Pathrat
January 27th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Welcome! Beautiful surroundings for a great looking rig!

dinga
January 28th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, it's much apprieciated!!

Ohh and the reason I joined this forum is because a member had some very useful information about winch wiring/solenoids etc, so thank you to whoever that was, if I can find the same post again!!

Brody
January 28th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Another one from across the pond! Welcome to the site! Sounds like you found some good information here, which we are happy for!

We are going to have to get our economy straightened out here so that a bunch of us can afford to go over there and wheel! Gotta do it before we all go on the dole, too...

Tell us a little about the Nissans over there. We can't get the cool ones over here and there is minimal after market support for them. I have read a few articles that said that Nissans are the predominate 4x over there, closely followed by Rovers and then Toyotas. One of the articles, written by a guy that drove a Toyota, said that if he did it again (crossed Australia, I think), he would do it in a Nissan.

Anyway....looking forward to hearing back from you.

SCRubicon
January 29th, 2009, 12:21 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Random%20Junk/signs_38.gif

dinga
January 30th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Tell us a little about the Nissans over there. We can't get the cool ones over here and there is minimal after market support for them. I have read a few articles that said that Nissans are the predominate 4x over there, closely followed by Rovers and then Toyotas. One of the articles, written by a guy that drove a Toyota, said that if he did it again (crossed Australia, I think), he would do it in a Nissan.

Mate nissans are definately popular in the 4x4 scene here. They have a reputation for extremely strong running gear and good reliable engines. I would say that toyotas are probably the most popular here....that includes the toyota troop carriers, utes, prados as well as the landcruiser. Then nissan then rovers. Thats where I live anyway. I live in a city which is 1000km from the nearest large city so you need to have something reliable. Alot of our roads are dirt which can get very badly corrugated, except for the main highways which arent much better sometimes. The main highway is currently cut due to road damage caused by flooding=nil supplies coming in or out=empty supermarkets. lol

I do have some bad news. My winch short circuited somehow the other night while I was in bed asleep, causing it to power up and winch the hook through the fairleed, and continu around breaking both the cross supports and then bending the edging of my bullbar above the winch. Because it kept trying to power the winch the cables melted as well. I am very thankful it didnt trigger a fire a burn my car to the ground. I would have been very upset. Ohh well, Ive pulled the control box off and tried the emergency winch by supplying power to power in and out on the winch. No luck so Im thinking the winch maybe dead. On the positive I still have my car and the other damage is only really visual which is great!! Close call. Cheers fellas!!

mattscout
February 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Nice looking Patrol. They are extremely rare here and usually are pretty beat up if you can find them. Bad deal on the winch. Sounds like a solenoid shorted and burned up the motor as well. Look on ebay to get some parts or used winch. Later, Matt.

Telly
February 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Me likey your rig!!!!!!!!

TIMBO
February 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, it's much apprieciated!!

Ohh and the reason I joined this forum is because a member had some very useful information about winch wiring/solenoids etc, so thank you to whoever that was, if I can find the same post again!!
welcome anlike wise,ifrom caloundra, just wired my winch into the dash as well.here a few links the first on ehelped the most. cheers
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12322&highlight=warn+8274

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/winchcontrol.php

WINKY
February 9th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Welcome! good to see another diesel fan :)

TIMBO
February 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM
only way to go in the bush