PDA

View Full Version : hey there everyone

scout man
January 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Hey! I'm a scout driver thats new to the forum. I have been a scout fan for a while but just purchased my first one a few months ago. Its a work in progress and its not much of a looker, but I have some huge plans for it. It is more or less stock at the moment and has already crawled over stuff that blew me away, and I have seen scouts do a lot before, so we will see how it all pans out! I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Brody
January 29th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Hey Scoutman! Welcome to the forum!

You picked a great site with some really good people on it. People are very helpful and friendly, too, so if you have questions about pretty much anything, you will get some decent answers.

Check out out Scout stuff in the make and model links. Please add to that if you have found some good resource sites or good how to articles. I posted a bunch of links yesterday on lifts and SOAs, etc.

Also keep in mind that there are a number of people on this site that do fabrication. Just PM any of us and let us know what you are looking for and we will get prices to you.

Addicted Off Road (Scotty)

Bear (4LoLo)

Blackfoot Customs (4Runnerfun/Jon)

Brody (me)

Redline Motor Sports (Justin)

Looking forward to wheeling with you!

Chris
January 29th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Welcome Scout Man! Glad to see you on the board. What are your plans for it?

I'll keep an eye out for you around Aurora too!

:welcome:

Funrover
January 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Welcome!!! Post up pics, you can never have to many IHC trucks!

scoutfam
January 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Another scout person, cool. I just joined a couple of days ago and I am already addicted. I have sent e-mails to a bunch of guys I know here local so hope they will show up as well. I have been building up my beast for about a year now and it is comming along well. Let me know if you have questions and I have already learned much from past posts here. don't forget pics, pics, pics. The before and afters are a lot of fun. I look back at what I started with and it always blows my mind.:D

Chris
January 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I have sent e-mails to a bunch of guys I know here local so hope they will show up as well.

That's great to hear - the more the merrier! ;)

SCRubicon
January 29th, 2009, 12:18 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Random%20Junk/signs_38.gif

scout man
January 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
So heres some pics of my ride. My next step is some 4" lift springs, possibly a 2 inch body lift, and hoping to clear some 33x12.5 trxus. After that will be some bumpers and a winch and a roll cage, not necessarily in that order. However, it is all on hold for now, till the money situation turns around. It still runs great, and I have definitely taken it over some pretty rough stuff already. Not sure what to do with the body yet. It is beat to hell, which I am ok with, and it has the original paint, which I love, but the problem is the paint is in bad enough shape that I am very worried about rust. It isnt worth painting in the condition it is in right now, since I would want to re-create the paint job (love the original scout designs) but if I were to take the time and money to fix the body (which would be a ton of both) i would feel bad smashing it up on the trail, which is why i bought it in the first place. So we will see on that one. Anyways, dont have too many pics of it, but here are a few that I have...

Pathrat
January 29th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Welcome :wave: It's great to see the Scouts out on the trails, thanks for the pictures.

Brody
January 30th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I can't beleive how little rust you have! One of the things that I read was that there is a real rust problem with the insides of the fender wells as the Scout didn't have any inner fender skirts. You might try super cleaning these when the weather is warmer, painting them with a rust nuetralizer, and then a lot of spray on under coating.

One of the other things that you need to look out for, especially on rocky Colorado trails, is the distance your hubs stick out past the outside of the wheels. If you are doing a tire upgrade, you might want to pick up some cheapo steel wheels with a (or reverse rim)deeper back set just to save one or both of your hubs. If you have the basic 5x5.5 stud pattern, you can get rims off of craigslist for dirt cheap. You also might want to give High Country Performance 4x4 a call and see if they have any in their junk bin for next to nothing...

You forgot rock rails...they might not look like much, but if you like the body on your rig, these will save you a lotta $$ in body work. A bunch of us on the site can fab up your bumpers and rails, FYI..Winches are all the time showing up on craigslist for at least 1/2 price, too...

scout man
January 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Yea, don't let yourself be fooled brody, there is actually a lot more rust on there it looks in pictures. And I have definitely thought about rock guards, but the body is really beat up anyways so it isnt my first priority, but probably in line with the bumpers. Chances are I am going to have to get new wheels anyways when I upgrade tires, since those are the stock wheels and I don't think I can mount 12.5 inch wide tires on them. It's good to know there are some good fab guys on here. I am new to colorado, and don't know all that many people around here, especially fab guys. I would MUCH rather pay a fellow wheeler to do some fab for me than some money grubbing auto shop or welding shop. I'll have to let you all know when I have some money rolling in. Right now my full time job is giving me 20 hours a week, so I am hardcore part-time job searching, if any one has any leads anywhere. I am an audio engineer, but more marketably a class A truck driver! Just throwing it out there...

Roostercruiser
January 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
i think the scouts are catching up to the yodas and rovers

welcome you will find that everyone here is the best and very knowledgable:fr4x4:

Chris
January 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM
i think the scouts are catching up to the yodas and rovers

Not according to this very unscientific survey.

Yeah, not a very subtle hint. :lol:

Brody
January 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'll throw the job searching stuff towards my wife. She networks with everyone and seems to know everybody.

BTW, can you do low voltage stuff? PM me if you can and give me some info on the audio engineer part of things..

Roostercruiser
January 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Yea, don't let yourself be fooled brody, there is actually a lot more rust on there it looks in pictures. And I have definitely thought about rock guards, but the body is really beat up anyways so it isnt my first priority, but probably in line with the bumpers. Chances are I am going to have to get new wheels anyways when I upgrade tires, since those are the stock wheels and I don't think I can mount 12.5 inch wide tires on them. It's good to know there are some good fab guys on here. I am new to colorado, and don't know all that many people around here, especially fab guys. I would MUCH rather pay a fellow wheeler to do some fab for me than some money grubbing auto shop or welding shop. I'll have to let you all know when I have some money rolling in. Right now my full time job is giving me 20 hours a week, so I am hardcore part-time job searching, if any one has any leads anywhere. I am an audio engineer, but more marketably a class A truck driver! Just throwing it out there...

my work is hiring class a drivers full time work its a good place ive been there 7+ yrs.PM me for more info

Brody
January 31st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Thanks Cowboyjarman! That is the kinda stuff that makes me feel so good about this forum...Just some good people here...and helping people that they haven't even met face to face...Very cool. Hope that this works out!

scoutfam
January 31st, 2009, 10:13 PM
Scoutman if you want to get enough lift for 33s and do it the right way :rolleyes: you will probably end up going SOA. Here is a thread by Billusn from another fourm and I followed this from start to finish word for word with the only changes being that I put in a cv style front shaft to compensate for the vibration of not having equal and opposite angles in the front after the but and turn. I did the whole job in 2 days but I had already done my reverse shackle. If you want to do the whole she bang at once it will be a solid 3 days. If you have to ship out for welding and such then add more time. This simple :rolleyes: little lift cost me about $200 total and that was because I bought a second set of axles for the cut and turn. I got about 6 inches of total lift and no longer have anything hangin down under the axles.

here is that thread.
http://www.justinternationals.org/Binder-Bench/showthread.php?t=2858&highlight=soa+bronco

It was a lot of work but I love the results. I am putting 33x11.5x15 on this summer........

scout man
February 1st, 2009, 01:23 AM
I have a few thoughts on this scoutfam... First off, my springs that are on it right now are completelly shot. So no matter how I choose to llift I have to buy knew springs, which leads me to think if I am buying new ones I might as well buy the 4inch lift while I am at it, since they don't cost a whole lot more than any of the other sizes. Also, I am really trying to avoid SOA for a few reasons, a few of which being the effort and the cut and weld on the axles, which I really have no desire to do, and would have to pay for someone to do since I do not have the equipment to handle that. It would be nice to get things up out of the way, but I have seen some guys with the 4 inch lift that are somehow clearing 33's, but it seems a little close to me, hence the 2 inch body lift. Also, I am not horribly hesitant to do some fender trimming, since this is solely intend to be an off road vehicle. It seems like I can buy the new spring/shock kit, and then get away with only needing to buy a fix for the u-joint angle issue on the front, and probably some extended rear brake lines. This seems like a somewhat cheap approach that would be the least amount of work and down time. Am I wrong about this?? I have never done any of it, but I have heard the SOA is a nightmare...

scoutfam
February 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM
I will admit that the main reason for me to do the SOA was the ability to weld and cut and grind all on my own. Sending the stuff out for fab and weld gets expensive as my wheelin bud is finding out now on his yota.....
I have seen the 4" springs in the sua configuration and they work well. face it I am cheap and if I can do it without spending money I will. for me the cut and turn cost me nothing except that I bought some weld wire and grinding wheels. The extra axles was only cause my rig is a daily driver and I could not have much down time. I have heard the superlift makes a good spring for the SII and they also have the body lift stuff. Get a hold of DandC here in the springs and they will get you the kits you need. You can stay sua and do the Reverse shackle kit as well. I really suggest the RS if your gonna wheel her.:D

scout man
February 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Yea, the RS is a definite goal, although possibly not immediate, once again because of the lack of welding equipment, and not wanting to pay someone to do it. But I am sure it will happen in the future. Also, if I lift instead of SOA, I can always still do the SOA down the road if I should ever want to go even bigger... but I probably wont want to do that anyways! I am a fan of big, but it is definitely possible to be too big around here. But I am a midwesterner, where bigger is better cause the only challenge ever is mud.

Funrover
February 1st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Great action shots! Always love seeing old iron on the trails.....

And it reminds me of my dads old IHC Travelall, I really miss that rig

scout man
February 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, I threw up a bunch of pictures of my scout in action on my profile album. Check them out if you are interested. I think it will be great once I have some money to put into it!

Funrover
February 4th, 2009, 09:26 PM
WOW!!! Great pictures!

Chris
February 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Very cool, thanks for adding them! :thunb: