PDA

View Full Version : I love my car... We need more diesel

Funrover
February 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
I have had my Benz since I was 16... will make it 11 years in April. This car has been everything a parent could hope for when the teen learns to drive. Years later I still love this car. Here recently I acquired a Volvo.. also a diesel... another great car. Both get great MPG's both are safe both are comfortable. I could go on and on.... but my rant is about diesel. Why can't we get more of them here in the states. I know they are full of problems like.. they are reliable, easy to maintain, and they do great in MPG's.... They make a diesel JK.. but we can't use it... Diesel has come a long way and isn't the smoke producing beast it used to be...... I will just stop now!

I will share pics of my diesels now
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/Mercedes/Palmerpark2-09004.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/Volvo/DSCN0040.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/TheDiesels002.jpg

Chris
February 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Why can't we get more of them here in the states.

That's the Land Cruiser lament - every country except the US has mostly diesels. :(

4Runninfun
February 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
not just LC's seams a lot of toy owners wish for the diesels. but good news, i saw a BMW commercial advertising the benefits of diesel. so here's hoping!!!

Pathrat
February 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
This has to have been discussed before. What are some of the 'industry' reasons for us not having diesels? Or am I assuming it has been discussed by automakers? Why can't we have them? It seems that I am pretty ignorant about all this.

Funrover
February 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
This has to have been discussed before. What are some of the 'industry' reasons for us not having diesels? Or am I assuming it has been discussed by automakers? Why can't we have them? It seems that I am pretty ignorant about all this.

Most of what I hear is emissions related which is total BS

Chris
February 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I hate driving behind diesels! :blah:

Funrover
February 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
The new diesels you can't even tell

4Runninfun
February 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
I hate driving behind diesels! :blah:

what not everyone enjoys diesel fumes in the morning?:lol:

actually we have two diesels at my house. an '01 dodge cummins, and an 89 mercedes 190D. the dodge gets about 20mpg on ave, and the benz gets mid 30's.

Funrover
February 3rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
We have 4 in my family... It really is the way to go... If you want torque for pulling or wheeling YOU HAVE IT.. if you want economy YOU HAVE IT

Roostercruiser
February 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
i had an 81 chevy truck with the 5.7 diesel out of a oldsmobile station wagon. it smoked as dark like black sunday in the dust bowl era. i hated for anyone to be behind me:D. the problem was there was no turbo and was very under powered:( but was fun to jump:thunb: until broke the bell housing:eek: but diesel are nice

Brody
February 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Diesels remind of Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now (one of my favorite romantic comedies) "I love the smell of napalm in the morning..."