PDA

View Full Version : MOAB TRIP

WINKY
February 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Hi all, i know im new but i want to jump in and get dirty and by doing so i am planning a trip to moab this summer. The dates are not set but i do know i want to plan between mid april to mid july. It will be upwards of 5 days, 2 weekend days and 3-4 weekdays. Head out friday afternoon, hit a hotel the first night and camp out in the middle of nowhere the rest of the week. Of course stopping in town if needed. I am mostly going to do easy/ beginner trails such as chicken corners, secret spire basically for me to start difficulty level 0 to 2.5 3 max. As i dont know the area i am taking it on the smart side and start simple. I just want to get out and away and enjoy good times nice scenery and good people. Most of all have fun. I will have all the gear i need and prepared for the unknown. I have invited other friends not on the forums here and no takers yet. I know its a ways out but rather get this set in stone than say Oh hey last minute thing for such a big trip.

I plan to finalize the date no later than march 31st.

Any takers?

Randy

update, my empty seat is taken. I have added a poll on here to get an idea of who will be going/ not going/ not sure yet.

Funrover
February 4th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I dream on Moab....but I can't go this summer sadly

Chris
February 4th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I plan on hitting Moab a couple times this summer, made it 3 times last year so I'll see how things develop with this. Check out the thread about the Easter Jeep Safari because it has some dates to avoid due to events going on there.

Pathrat
February 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hi there. Like Chris, I go to Moab a few times every year (ok, as often as I can) between March and September. My schedule is stupid this year but please post up when you go. Even if I can't do the five days, it would be fun to hook up for a trail. Secret Spire has some nice scenery.

WINKY
February 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Hi there. Like Chris, I go to Moab a few times every year (ok, as often as I can) between March and September. My schedule is stupid this year but please post up when you go. Even if I can't do the five days, it would be fun to hook up for a trail. Secret Spire has some nice scenery.

most definitely! it more then likely is going to be towards junish... give everyone plenty of time to prep. and save money for the trip.

Roostercruiser
February 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM
haventb been since the olympics need to get back

WINKY
February 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Duly noted but heat doesnt bother me i think i will be ok. ill have plenty of water :)

thank you though!

Chris
February 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I was there in July last year, temps stayed over 100 the whole time. Fortunately we headed south to the Henry Mtns and cooled down at altitude.

Pathrat
February 5th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I have done early June, mid to high 90s, late June, 100s...you just have to expect heat. I don't mind it too much.

WINKY
February 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
so looks like i have a taker for the right seat, a friend of mine. I am thinking of doing the trip leaving out friday afternoon june 5th. stay the night in a hotel that night then go out and enjoy the sights the rest of the week! Let me know if june 5th will work everyone...

Randy

WINKY
February 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Ok so i have set a date, june 5th leave out that afternoon. Return probably that following thursday. I have set my vacation for this as well. But before then i will be able to do some local trails with everyone so im not a stranger... :P

Chris
February 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm hoping I can do this - probably just myself but school will be out and I'll be free of my "job" ;)

WINKY
February 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm hoping I can do this - probably just myself but school will be out and I'll be free of my "job" ;)

hey even if its you and i, it will still be fun. I would rather not go on my own...lol My roomie is still planning on going.

scout man
February 7th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I would be interested if I can swing it... with my line of work I never know till really close to the time though, so I will let you know down the road!

Pathrat
February 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
That sounds like a good weekend to go. I have in penciled on the calender and it depends on what the kids are doing too. I anticipate that if we go, we will be heading down Friday after work and camping late on the road to Top of the World, just about a half mile up (I think) from Dewey Bridge. If we get to go, I'll hook up with you on where to meet and what trails.

WINKY
February 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
That sounds like a good weekend to go. I have in penciled on the calender and it depends on what the kids are doing too. I anticipate that if we go, we will be heading down Friday after work and camping late on the road to Top of the World, just about a half mile up (I think) from Dewey Bridge. If we get to go, I'll hook up with you on where to meet and what trails.

So i dont know where that is but that saturday we all can meet in town get any last minute things or groceries, get everyone together and figure out a trail scheme aside from what i picked for my capabilities and go from there. Just to reiterate, my friend and I have no rock crawling experience, nor the vehicles to do extreme crawling. I invited him as he wanted to get out of the house, but i am wanting to learn the sport. I will go on any trail that is suited for a full size, im not skerred of it in fact i would like to know what my truck can do. Other than that it will be mostly level 1-2.5 trails for me and my roomie.

If anyone wants to lead or give diretions and i will lead by all means feel free, i have a list of trails that i was thinking i can do. And please if i am over my head with what i have dont hesitate to correct me :) Bottom line i want to be safe and have fun at the same time. I will also have a cb onboard so communications wont be a problem. Anyone else run cb's?

Randy

Pathrat
February 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I have done a fair number of easy and moderate trails. The FJC is my first rig and I am still learning. I won't take you to Poison Spider if we make it! ;) Top of the World, Picture Frame Arch, Gemini Bridges, and a few other starters. Top of the World is one I would suggest after you have done a few easier trails in Moab just to acclimate yourself to the terrain and get a better idea of what your truck does out there. It is different, and actually I prefer that terrain to all others. Do you have the Wells Moab book? Look at some trails there or on traildamage.com and if you find something that interests you, PM me and I will tell you if I have been on it and give you some direction if I can on what it is really like, with a full-size in mind.

WINKY
February 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Thank you very much! No i dont have that book but i was going to get learning material as soon as i get back to be prepared. I will get in touch with you about some trails :)

scout man
February 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I do run a CB, although it may not be fully functional at the moment, but I would make sure it is by then!

Telly
February 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I'll chime in a few suggestions from my Moab experiences. Some really cheap and scenic camping is in the Sand Flats Recreation Area, which is only a few minutes east of town. There is 124 primative camping spots available at a first come/first serve basis and costs only $10/night. Be sure to bring some firewood! Fins N Things is an excellent first timer trail and is located in the same area. Hell's Revenge is also a good trail in the area but requires a fair amount of ground cleareance to make the entire loop.

I recommend have a game plan with your camping/trail options before you head out but I'm not really a "wing it" kind of guy.

Trust me, you will love the area and will want to go back year after year.

Doug

WINKY
February 10th, 2009, 02:50 AM
So i was thinking that it will take about 5.5 hours (correct me those that know exact time) to get to moab and those that want to meet up that friday after everyone gets off work to head to moab, is there a good place off of 70 that everyone knows and will accomodate room for everyone to meet up then head out? I think that everyone that wants to head out friday afternoon we can meet up and then saturday for everyone else that couldnt meet friday we can meet in moab like lunch time then scoot out again.

Randy

Pathrat
February 10th, 2009, 09:45 PM
So i was thinking that it will take about 5.5 hours (correct me those that know exact time) to get to moab and those that want to meet up that friday after everyone gets off work to head to moab, is there a good place off of 70 that everyone knows and will accomodate room for everyone to meet up then head out? I think that everyone that wants to head out friday afternoon we can meet up and then saturday for everyone else that couldnt meet friday we can meet in moab like lunch time then scoot out again.

Randy

It is about 5-5.5 hours. The Comfort Inn at Green River is an ok place. DO NOT eat at Ben's restaurant. Go down the street to the pizza place instead, if anyone decides to go to Green River. If you want to meet people Saturday morning, I would suggest waiting until the trail of the day is decided. The common meet place is the McDonalds at the south end of town, on the right on Main.

Chris
February 10th, 2009, 10:28 PM
You're fast! I plan on 6.5 but that's just me, I'm slow uphill. :lol:

WINKY
February 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM
mmmm pizza...LOL

ok so i will work on putting together a list, present it and since more experienced people are going, they can break off into another group capable of those trails. (if this is ok)

Not sure how wise it is to leave a vehicle unattended out there (theft). If possible to go on trails that have technical spots with bypasses so everyone can have fun that would be great. Bottom line, i will be doing trails that my vehicle will be limited to. I dont mind observing and learning as well and taking photo's for peeps :)

Randy

WINKY
February 11th, 2009, 09:56 PM
So i got another questions for everyone here since some of ya'll are going with. How does everyone feel about firearms being brought along? I usually bring my .45 for protection from animals that wont scare away, i have a friend that asked if it was ok to bring his as well. I did tell him that since its not just he and i id ask everyone else. If anyone feels uncomfortable with this its no problem, i wont bring and i will tell my friend not to as well. I just want to ensure i respect everyones choices and have a good time :)

Thanks!

Pathrat
February 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
So i got another questions for everyone here since some of ya'll are going with. How does everyone feel about firearms being brought along? I usually bring my .45 for protection from animals that wont scare away, i have a friend that asked if it was ok to bring his as well. I did tell him that since its not just he and i id ask everyone else. If anyone feels uncomfortable with this its no problem, i wont bring and i will tell my friend not to as well. I just want to ensure i respect everyones choices and have a good time :)

Thanks!

Oh, and I meant the mcdonalds in Moab, I don't think I specified that.

Leaving unattended vehicles at trail heads is not that uncommon in Moab. There are many people who bike too so there are a fair number of cars left at some of the trail heads.

Utah law, if I am correct, states transport is ok as long as the ammunition is separate from the weapon. I don't have an issue as long as no one is planning to pop off a few rounds into the terrain for fun.

WINKY
February 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Oh, and I meant the mcdonalds in Moab, I don't think I specified that.

Leaving unattended vehicles at trail heads is not that uncommon in Moab. There are many people who bike too so there are a fair number of cars left at some of the trail heads.

Utah law, if I am correct, states transport is ok as long as the ammunition is separate from the weapon. I don't have an issue as long as no one is planning to pop off a few rounds into the terrain for fun.

I agree, if anything is brought it will be secured but accessible if needed and i will make it known that if anyone starts shotting off for the fun of it they are to leave. But i will wait for more replies on this. But thank you for your input :)

Chris
February 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
That's covered here: http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3878

Pathrat
February 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for posting that up Chris.

WINKY
February 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM
ok to clarify, correct me if i am wrong, i want to be in the right with the group. We can bring legal firearms for the purpose of protection only, not for play or shoot stuff up? and also will anyone else be bringing, or has anyone brought in the past to group excursions? Whats the bottom line :)

Brody
February 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Generally guns are for protection only and since we are a 'family' oriented group, we keep them in the rigs. My thoughts on this is bring a gun if you feel like it...no damn need to tell anyone about it (or ask, for that matter...)...no one ever knows if I have a gun with me or not...just the way I like it....Watch the transport laws, for sure, as I have found that this law is really open to interpetation by the officer that is doing the checking..... Here, if the gun is seperated from the ammo, you are generally ok.....for the most part. If you get pulled over in Denver proper, the police will confiscate both the gun and the ammunition and you will be hell to pay to get either back. Guns seem to vanish from the police evidence lockers for some reason. I have had this happen to 3 friends over the years...nice, huh?

There are a bunch of us that do own and like to shoot guns, LaDawn and myself included, and there has been a lot of talk about doing a wheeling and shooting run sometime. This has never really gotten off the ground for some reason, but I am all for it. The rules for shooting guns in Colorado are pretty lax and very simple. Essentially in any National Forest, no shooting within 150 yards of any trailhead, home, road, or campsite...and, of course, no shooting in posted areas...some people don't get that last one..... I never shoot that close to these areas because bullets travel lethally much farther than that.

I have shot in almost all forests in the state with absolutely no problems whatsoever and seldom if ever in any FS shooting ranges. Last time I was in one of them some kid sailed a 22 round within inches of my ear. I was tempted to sail about 30 in his direction as I was shooting a 223 just as a lesson in etiquette, but refrained...

Brody
February 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I am usually worried more about the weirdo people that you run into sometimes out in the boonies than I usually am about any animals. A 45, 44, or shotgun is usually adequate to sort out any problems when you encounter them....besides which, anything smaller will only irritate a bear or mountain lion...

WINKY
February 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Ok than it is decided. ANd thank you all for the input, being new to the group i want to be in the green with everyone. And yes i agree that unless otherwise specified firearms are for protection and safety, if not specifically posted for a sporting run. My questions are answered.

Thanks! :)

WINKY
February 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Ok ladies and Gents,

I have formulated a list for the trip out there. Before i list it let me explain a few things, the trails i picked are easy for me being a beginner and new to the area but i think will be fun no matter. Also i was thinking that we could do an easy trail and a hard crawling trail (not in that order) for everyone else that has the vehicle to do the extreme or hard stuff that my vehicle isnt able to. We could do a hard trail first and then go out into the wilderness and pitch camp when it is time. I can park and watch or drive to a point and backseat to the technical spots. Since i invited veterans and semi veterans i want to include you all in the festivities so no one is stuck doing just simple stuff. I didnt list any of the hard trails as i will let the group choose those and i have no say in it..lol If possible i woulld like to camp in the open and not in "designated camping" but if we have no choice that is ok :)

Here is my "newbie" list.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=33 tower arch
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=217 copper ridge
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=35 porcupine rim
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=25 fins n things
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=22 seven mile rim
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=181 klondike bluffs
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=182 tusher tunnel
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=184 bartlett overlook
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=226 hellroaring rim
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=88 spring canyon bottom
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=225 arths pasture
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=281 slickrock mesa
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=282 long canyon
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=280 shafer trail
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=27 poison spider mesa
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=95 chicken corners
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=224 jackson hole
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=34 kane creek canyon

We dont have to do all these trails, but the ones with most to do or see from those that have been on them please advise :) If i missed any that are better that i can go on let me know.

I also plan to have lockers by then but if not i will definately have bumper and 16.5ti winch.

DEEZL

WINKY
February 13th, 2009, 04:21 AM
A .45 may be a bit much for those snakes, spiders, and scorpions, too :D

i got big feet for them, plus snake aint too bad for dinner either...mmmmm!!!!

Funrover
February 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Nice list!

Pathrat
February 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Nay, I have to disagree with you about Poison Spider as a trail pick for a newbie, and a newbie to Moab. We watched a Cherokee, with a veteran, blow his drive shaft. I have done this trail after a year of driving and it is not easy.

IMO and experience,
Klondike Bluffs and Tower Arch are beautiful! There is a 200 yard stretch of trail at the top of the mine that connects the two trails but you would have to go up and look at the Arches side of the hill to see if you would be comfortable going down; it is a little narrow. I got my first damage there on that connecting short cut, :) just a mudflap. The shortcut is not in Charles's book by the way.

Porcupine Rim was the first 4x4 trail I ever went one, that is a good one. Long Canyon you can do. Bartlett was my second trail; the scenery is incredible. Kane Creek might be too narrow for you. Shafer trail is a ways out of Moab in Canyonlands, if you want to head that direction. I can find pictures to send if you would like but I am sure there are a bunch plastered on the internets.

As far as camping, Sand Flats is out of the way enough, and near enough and cheap. PLUS, depending on where you camp (we pick D) you can watch vehicles heading over Fins and Things from your site.

Pathrat
February 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I have some older pictures of early trails here, if you would like to see them:
http://www.myspace.com/pathrat

The picture on my profile page, top left, is the view from Hidden Canyon, close to Bartlett. That is in the general My Photos album. Row four at the bottom is the short cut between Klondike and Tower Arch trails.

WINKY
February 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Add Poison Spider Mesa. If you are locked with some decent ground clearance, this trail will show you everything you need to learn about Moab without any real threat of damage, and the so called "hardcore" crowd and the "newbie" crowd can go together :thunb:

its in muh list but yeah i cant wait to go :)

WINKY
February 13th, 2009, 10:07 PM
i would really like to avoid anything that will cause damage to my rig regardless of experience, as it is my daily driver as well. :)

WINKY
February 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM
So my roomie got laid off and he wont be able to go now, it sux as he was one of the better security officers in his group. He did work for veteran security. So this will leave me and my friend who will more than likely be riding with me and maybe a couple of his friends to go with in their rigs.

Chris
February 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Bummer, too many posts like this. :(

Unfortunately there will be more of this kind of stuff in 2009 before things start to get better.

WINKY
February 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
agreed.... but ive been through a recession layoff and it sux. took me 3 years to get back in the career saddle.

WINKY
February 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
well if i had a house and garage, welding material and such i would hand build a rig of my own.... but i am a apartment monkey for now....once i get the truck paid off (2 years) i will then be buying a house and start work on a nice rock rig :)

but you are correct im not new to being offroad, im just new to "rock crawling" and ive never been to moab. :)

WINKY
February 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM
thank you much! and im sure there will be another trip out there later this year and i might be able to go on that one too :)

scout man
March 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM
that was hard... I wanted to select "Maybe - I will know closer to June 5th" and it just wouldnt let me! :doh: But thats my answer :D

Chris
March 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I'm a "I will know closer to June 5th" since I don't plan that far ahead. Most likely will but have to see what happens in the meantime.

Pathrat
March 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
As it stands right now, depending mostly upon my husband's status of employment, we are scheduled to head down to Albuquerque on June 5th, then on to the Grand Canyon. If these plan remain in place, we are not going to be in Moab for that weekend.
If we do not get to go on our planned vacation, then it is more likely we will head to Moab.

Brody
March 16th, 2009, 05:45 AM
[QUOTE=DEEZLPWR;23516]well if i had a house and garage, welding material and such i would hand build a rig of my own.... but i am a apartment monkey for now....once i get the truck paid off (2 years) i will then be buying a house and start work on a nice rock rig :)

Hey Randy

Keep in mind that you can find a 'turn key' rock crawler out there if you look for around $6k. Theses tend to be Toyotas more so than Jeeps, but they are set up with gears, lockers, big tires, dual cases, cages, etc. I have seen quite a few in the last couple of years and, if you can get around the oddball 'neon' paint scheme, Jeff's brother had two for sale last I heard.

Mike Caskey's brother had a Toyota rig with 5.29s, dual cases, roll cage, 40" tires, all gusseted up that he sold for $6k. Slee had a customer that was selling a chopped Land cruiser set up like the 'Sleemobile' (a serious crawler) for $6500. They are out there and a comparable Jeep crawler would go for $10k simply because of all the axle upgrades you have to do on them.

If I had to do mine all over again, I would spend the $6k and modify it to suite my particular preferences.

1freaky1
March 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I should be flying back in from Oregon and packing to go camping the next day and wheeling around Buena Vista that weekend.

1freaky1
March 16th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I should be flying back in from Oregon the 5th and packing to go camping the next day and wheeling around Buena Vista that weekend.

Roostercruiser
March 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
moab is fun exept Metal masher we twistd our driveshaft on that trail. Dump bump in your truck is a cake walk. Potato salad i think would be easy also, moab rim. golden crack would be intresting though. i guess if you took the right line it would make it. have funn

WINKY
March 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
yeah i think i will be bringing extra shafts just in case... junkyard here i come!

4Runner3Wheeler
March 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'm totally in for a shooting run. I know a sweet range around Minturn that can accommodate whatever firepower you can bring. We could hit Holy Cross as well as other nice scenic trails in the area around Camp Hale. There is plenty of camping that way, climbing, and fishing. :D

I'm not a shoot em up guy and highly respect folks who understand: Muzzle control, keeping action visibly open, not trusting a safety, and never touching a trigger unless aimed at a specific target with the intent to shoot. I believe in firearm education for the youngest of persons.

Generally guns are for protection only and since we are a 'family' oriented group, we keep them in the rigs. My thoughts on this is bring a gun if you feel like it...no damn need to tell anyone about it (or ask, for that matter...)...no one ever knows if I have a gun with me or not...just the way I like it....Watch the transport laws, for sure, as I have found that this law is really open to interpetation by the officer that is doing the checking..... Here, if the gun is seperated from the ammo, you are generally ok.....for the most part. If you get pulled over in Denver proper, the police will confiscate both the gun and the ammunition and you will be hell to pay to get either back. Guns seem to vanish from the police evidence lockers for some reason. I have had this happen to 3 friends over the years...nice, huh?

There are a bunch of us that do own and like to shoot guns, LaDawn and myself included, and there has been a lot of talk about doing a wheeling and shooting run sometime. This has never really gotten off the ground for some reason, but I am all for it. The rules for shooting guns in Colorado are pretty lax and very simple. Essentially in any National Forest, no shooting within 150 yards of any trailhead, home, road, or campsite...and, of course, no shooting in posted areas...some people don't get that last one..... I never shoot that close to these areas because bullets travel lethally much farther than that.

I have shot in almost all forests in the state with absolutely no problems whatsoever and seldom if ever in any FS shooting ranges. Last time I was in one of them some kid sailed a 22 round within inches of my ear. I was tempted to sail about 30 in his direction as I was shooting a 223 just as a lesson in etiquette, but refrained...