PDA

View Full Version : reason to carry a fire extinguisher!

scout man
February 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
First off, no, this is not my scout. But it is an accident that happen a few years back. My best childhood friend and I were out in rural missouri camping with his brother-in-law the night before his wedding, and were doing the usual drinking and shooting and 4-wheeling... i mean... we werent doing any of that of course :). Well, the engine blew on his old truck and caught the firewall on fire (ironic) we fought it for about 20 minutes with coolers full of water, since we were on a river bank, but needless to say we lost the fight. Come morning the only left of the truck was metal. No tubes, to tires, no cell phone :oops:. Thought you all would enjoy some pics. I have always carried a fire extinguisher since this day!

Pathrat
February 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I have mine mounted up. Guess there was nothing left to do but take pictures.

Brody
February 6th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I have had one in every rig I have had since I ended up upside down with the cab crushed, the fuel pump going, gas everywhere, and sparks flying around. It took way longer than one would want to get un done from the seat belt and crawl through a small hole left in the cab window area. Never understood why it didn't spark off, but it was such a bad feeling that those are some of the first 'add ons' I do...

I had an inside the cab shut off switch for the fuel pump which I hit as soon as I stopped moving, but the wiring under the hood had shorted out so it didn't work. Luckily I had just enough room to squeeze my skinny butt through the hole. I was pretty inspired to vacate the truck at this point and it probably wouldn't have mattered if I had weighed 300 pounds...I was getting out...period.

Here is picture after I managed to get the truck out of the center of the road and off it's top. It doesn't show the crushed cab or the ex camper shell, but the top was crushed damn near flat and the camper shell just exploded. Anyone ever wonder why my exo is so heavily braced, this is one of the reasons. It was also the last rig I ever had without a roll cage of some kind in it.

Chris
February 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Pretty convincing photos! I always carry one too, hope I never need it though.

Patrolman
February 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Ironically, I threw one into the passenger seat of my Datsun Z-car on the way to work one day. When I got to work, there was smoke coming out of the hood. I proceeded to pop the hood and then flames shot out. Grabbed the extinguisher and put it out. Replaced the leaking high pressure fuel line on my lunch break that had flames shooting out of it. Singed a couple wires, but no worse for wear. I consider myself VERY lucky! I always have one in every vehicle now, particularly considering the vehicles I drive. ;)

Chris
February 6th, 2009, 09:40 AM
..particularly considering the vehicles I drive. ;)

:lol:

Funrover
February 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
WOW!!!!!

Tye
February 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I got one in Lucy...

Roostercruiser
February 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
all my cars have a fire extinguasherr, i'm glad i had one when my 54 caught fire twice. once wiring and the second the fuel tank behind seat had a rag that spontaince combusted and almost sparked the tank./

Brody
February 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I have seen that spontaneous combustion quite a few times...really spooky thing to see, too. Oily rags in a can in the corner of the garage..sun moves a little and next thing you have a pretty healthy fire going. I was redoing a wood deck a number of years ago and the rags that I was using burst into flame right next to me...Another time, a buddy of mine and I were working on some rig in the very hot sun in his driveway. We had a bunch of oily rags tossed down by our feet (in the sun, of course) and the next thing we knew, we had a nice little bonfire going on....

I am so spooked by this that I take every rag I use and stuff it in a 5 gallon bucket of water and soap. Either that or I take them and lay them flat outside to dry out....

SCRubicon
February 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I carry an extinguisher in the Jeep, and have a larger one that I take when camping. I'm not a big fan of lighting on fire...

scout man
February 10th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I'm not a big fan of lighting on fire...

unfortunately I have done that one before too... wouldn't mind it too much if that never happened again!

Pathrat
February 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
... I'm not a big fan of lighting on fire...

So I heard. But at least people tell you when you are on fire. :D

Chris
February 10th, 2009, 10:37 PM
The first time Barb & I went to our daughters new boyfriends apartment for dinner she showed us a newspaper photo of this guy in full flame. Yes, it was a stunt but not a real reassuring photo for the future in-laws. :lol:

Brody
February 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM
What was your first thought...That your daughter was going to be marrying a soon to be crispy Buddist monk??

Hey ... they did that to protest the war in Vietnam and it got good publicity. Always seemed stupid to me...light yourself on fire to protest a war?? Yo...go right ahead...one less dumbass to deal with later on down the road....

Funrover
February 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I carry an extinguisher in the Jeep, and have a larger one that I take when camping. I'm not a big fan of lighting on fire...

Yes but you give us a great story to tell! HAHAHAHA!! Good times! :thunb: