PDA

View Full Version : 2/07/2009 trail reports

Brody
February 8th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Slaughterhouse has very little snow, though the loop has large icy sections on the hills

Eagle Rock has mostly packed snow with some deep areas where people have been turned back

Chinamans is mostly clear with areas of patchy snow and mud

Pathrat
February 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hugh and I went up to Estes Park for a short, non-wheeling getaway. There isn't that much snow until past 9000 feet. Estes Park, at 7500, has minimal snow. On the way back today, we drove up to the parking area at Bunce School and here are the pictures. Again, not a lot of snow. We didn't go up any further than what appears to be the air-down area.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/EstesFeb2009/Bunce1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/EstesFeb2009/Bunce2.jpg

Brody
February 9th, 2009, 05:32 AM
A reminder:

Anyone running Bunce School, keep in mind that the trail is closed with an FS gate 4 miles in from the highway. The Ironclads trail is open as it is still withine this 4 mile stretch. Middel St Vrain and Coney Flats are cloded until early to mid June due to snow pack.

The gate is new as of last year..

And a great big heartfelt thanks to the FS for this....yeah right....This was a trail that was open until the switch backs going down to Camp Dick. Why the decision was made to arbitrarily install a gate and close the trail 4 miles in, I guess we will never know. Great to see tax money go to such cretineous decision makers...

Funrover
February 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I was just at Brunce School yesterday.. didn't drive the trail or go up the road more than maybe 200 feet.. Looks to me like if there was no fence there would be an open trail!

Brody
February 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Aaron, the trail was closed 4 miles in last year at what is known as the Meadows. There is now a FS gate there closed for the winter months. It is now going to be a yearly closure for for some bone stupid reason. You used to be able to run the trail past the T33A site all the way to where the switchbacks go down into Camp Dick with no problems.

Thank your tax dollars for this one, too...