PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Gear Breaking

Brody
February 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Here is a link (mostly for DETN8R, I admit) that shows various pieces of climbing gear and equipment being tested to the breaking point. Interesting in itself as there are some pretty cool sound effects, but they also show some scew gate chain links like we use for attachment points for tow straps, being broken. The meter is in the footage and you can see the pounds adding up until the stuff breaks. Pretty cool and cooler still to see what it breaks at vs the actual rating. I think the link broke in excess of 7k pounds although only rated for 5k. Keep in mind that these were static, not dynamic, tests. A world of difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9WUSQQ6bzI&NR=1

JeepersCreepers
February 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM
that's impressive to see that piece of gear withstand that much weight before breaking.

DETN8R
February 10th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the post Brody. Great vid. Its nice to see stuff that you trust your life to hold up.

Funrover
February 10th, 2009, 11:09 PM
WOW

Brody
February 11th, 2009, 05:17 AM
When I was making climbing harnesses, gear slings and other climbing stuff, I always took them down to Bill Forrest at Forrest Mountaineering (now defunct) and he put this stuff on his tester. I never got to see hardware being tested so this was pretty cool for me to watch, too. Glad you are liking it!