PDA

View Full Version : Geneva Basin Road/Duck Creek

Brody
February 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
Tried to do this as a 'sticky' so that it would stay on top of the post, but the option doesn't seem to be available any more. Sorry for that...just bear with the fact that my first post (this one) is going to be on the bottom of the damn thread...

Great run yesterday! Tye, George, Darren, Mike, Randy and I went in search of some snow in the Guanella Pass area. We were having some doubts on the drive up as it looked more like late April conditions than mid February as there was almost no snow at all. The snow was almost gone until we hit the meadows just before duck Creek branches off from Guanella Pass Road.

The conditions were great as there was almost no wind and decent temperatures all day. You can see that Randy wore just a T shirt all day, maybe he is used to Antartic conditions, but the weather was good...The snow was patchy, but enought to provide a bit of a challenge in spots as almost everyone needed a strap or winch at some point. We took the trail as far as we could go toward the divide, but stopped when the road turned into just ATV tracks through the snow.

It was great meeting Randy and Mike's friend Darren. Good to see Tye up and about and in his usual good spirits. Tye brought his friend George, a fellow worker and transplant from Texas...who has now fallen in love with Colorado and plans to stay here...along for his first winter 4x run. Randy had his near stock Dodge 2500 diesel on street tires and did a great job getting though everything, including catching a good bit of air! No mean feat in a 9,000 lb rig! (no more from you 6,000 lb LC Cruiser guys about the weight of your rigs after watching this one!) Great to see Mike again, too, as it has been over a year since the last time..

Anyway, a great time and great day and we missed all the folks who said they were gonna come and never showed up...Here are some pictures and I'll post the links to photobucket and you tube when I get the others posted.

Ahhh, Tye...try to remember that Mador is till just a dog, will ya??

Brody
February 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
And some more pictures:

Brody
February 22nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
And the last :

DETN8R
February 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
great pics brody

Chris
February 22nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Looks like it was a good time, sorry I couldn't be there.

Pete, it's not first because of your settings. Check yours against this example.

I'll look into why it appears your moderator options may have changed.

MileHighAko
February 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Wow, that looks like a grea time! How did you get your dog to pose with sunglasses and hat! haha. Very cool.

Brody
February 22nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hey man, don't be calling Tye's dog a dog so that he can hear it...Even Mador doesn't think he's a dog, so you'll end with with two, ahem....'people' ...upset with you.Besides which, Tye spent a lot of time getting the AC/DC hat to fit around Mador's ears...not to mention getting the matching shades to fit...

Here is a link to a quick video I took:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AggkjSAqQTk

Roostercruiser
February 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
nice video looked fun ill se ya guys on the 28 march:thunb:

WINKY
February 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
man if i had my tires on that i am getting i would have gone much farther up that hill... or dug myself deeper...HAHAHAHAHA that turbo sounds awesome though!!!

DETN8R
February 22nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Cool vid Brody. That looks like one second of footage of me at the end of it.

Brody
February 22nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
It is, Fred and I posted some other video links to some of our runs in the 'winter wheeling' post I did earlier. I got the other stuff of you on tape and will be posting them up on you tube later this week. Look for the links....

mikem
February 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Here are some more pictures from this weekend.

Mike

JeepersCreepers
February 22nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
looks like a awesome trip. I know I would have been getting yanked out a few times. but all worth while when your having fun i'm sure

SCRubicon
February 22nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Random%20Junk/TyeandMador010copy.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Random%20Junk/thumb.gif

Funrover
February 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Awesome stuff... I really wish I went, looks perfect for having fun

WINKY
February 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
are them twins in that rover....? :lol:

Funrover
February 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
are them twins in that rover....? :lol:

Could be! LOL :lol::lol::lol:

Jimmy
February 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Did you all actually do any snowshoeing? Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any mention of it. :)

Brody
February 23rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
No, no one but me brought any snow shoes. Bear, Bren, Jeanie Boyd and her son were all going to come and do some snow shoeing, but they never showed or called. We did see some folks x skiing and another couple snow shoeing, but not too many other people out and about.

Probably ok as we spent a lot of time getting un stuck. There was plenty of snow farther up and off both sides of the road after you got into Duck Creek /Geneva Basin Road proper. Still would have been time enough to get in a hour or two snow shoe....

Tye
February 23rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
That was a blast.

Mator? We havent told him hes a dog just yet. I am really sorry Mator played chicken witha ya' Pete.

Brody
February 23rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
He had me worried when he charged uphill at my truck...He looked like he was going to go through it, not around it...pretty funny! Glad he likes me...

mikem
February 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
For those of you interested in the frame hook clusters, you can find them
here (http://www.awdirect.com/category.asp?keyphrase=hooks)
or here (http://www.truckntow.com/c-147036-frame-hook-reachers.aspx)

Chris
February 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
No, no one but me brought any snow shoes.

Damn, if I knew that was the case I would have come along. :lol:

Brody
February 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks Mike! Those things are awesome!

Anyone not familiar with these, like I wasn't, they will allow attaching to just about any hole anyplace on any rig for hooking up a tow strap or winch. We used Mikes a bunch on the run and they work! If they can rig up to and stand up to pulling out a 9,000lb truck, they are good to go in my book....

They are certainly on my list of 'to buy' items to carry along. Great, stout, well designed, and they work. What more can you want from a tool? Oh, and they probably wouldn't work if they were cheap....

Chris
February 23rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks Mike! Those things are awesome!

Anyone not familiar with these, like I wasn't, they will allow attaching to just about any hole anyplace on any rig for hooking up a tow strap or winch. We used Mikes a bunch on the run and they work! If they can rig up to and stand up to pulling out a 9,000lb truck, they are good to go in my book....

They are certainly on my list of 'to buy' items to carry along. Great, stout, well designed, and they work. What more can you want from a tool? Oh, and they probably wouldn't work if they were cheap....

Never seen these, do you have any shots showing them in use? I'm not seeing their use. Obviously the "attaching to just about any hole anyplace on any rig" is followed by 'that is strong enough to handle the pull. I don't imagine you have any close-up pics of them is use.

Pathrat
February 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Wow! That looks like so much fun! Gunning it up through the snow, now I want to do that! I told my brother we would take his jeep liberty out and he declined. :rolleyes: (it did handle quite well in the snow and ice) Great video Brody!

Funrover
February 23rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Never seen these, do you have any shots showing them in use? I'm not seeing their use. Obviously the "attaching to just about any hole anyplace on any rig" is followed by 'that is strong enough to handle the pull. I don't imagine you have any close-up pics of them is use.

Look at flatbed tow trucks... they use them daily!

WINKY
February 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
well i put the long angle hook in the front of area of my frame on brutus and it bent the metal on the frame while pete was yanking me out the first snow bog.. but i knew it would do that to the frame, it was a weak little cross member but it worked!

mikem
February 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM

We used these to pull Randy's truck out of the snow several times. I didn't think to take any close up pictures of the hooks in action.

They are useful when you don't have a suitable recovery point. You use the appropriate hook to fit into the frame and then you can attach a tow strap or winch cable.

Mike

Chris
February 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
They are useful when you don't have a suitable recovery point. You use the appropriate hook to fit into the frame and then you can attach a tow strap or winch cable.

Okay, I see and think I do remember seeing them on a flatbed too.