PDA

View Full Version : FR4X4 Unemployment Rate

Chris
March 1st, 2009, 10:25 AM
As news of another Front Range member losing a job I got to wondering how we compare with the state economy. I've set this so it does not show who voted what so anonymity is assured for everyone voting but not choosing to comment.

SCRubicon
March 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM
While I was out in California they claimed a 15% state wide unemployment rate.(on the news) I talked with a bunch of residents and they all said the number is more like 20-25%. That state is so F'ed up and broke that they might get I.O.U.'s for their state tax refunds...

Chris
March 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Unemployment rates typically are for people actively looking for jobs probably based on collecting unemployment compensation. It never includes the people that have given up or found work in the underground economy which is huge.

Gov't statistics? :lol:

4runner freak
March 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Well, I am happily employed currently, but it is scary seeing the layoffs at so many companies(where I work included) and knowing that I could be next.
I know how important networking is and have hooked up a few people I know that are out of work with some temporary contact work.
It is very important to get your name and work skills out to as many people as possible because if no one knows your abilities and that you are looking for work, they will never think of referring you to their employer or passing jobs your way.

BTW, Linkedin.com is a good networking site to help in your search.
PM me with your email address and I'll ad anyone to my network.

Brody
March 1st, 2009, 05:36 PM
Looking like a true reflection of the state of the onion so far....5 outta 8....The people who haven't posted are probably working....right??

scout man
March 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM
I think we need an underemployed selection... I have a job, but I might as well not....

Chris
March 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Looking like a true reflection of the state of the onion so far....5 outta 8....The people who haven't posted are probably working....right??

We can hope!

I think we need an underemployed selection... I have a job, but I might as well not....

Let's not even go there. :eek:

SCRubicon
March 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM
I think under employment has been a determining factor in my unemployment. I'm not going to work 3 jobs just to earn what I made at the City of Fakehood. There'd be no time for sleep :D

Patrolman
March 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
Unemployed and proud to be a stay-at-home dad for 2 great dogs. Working furiously to find something sooner than later. :(

Jimmy
March 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
I stopped in to add an "employed" vote. I may not get rich working for the federal gov't, but so far there's no threat to my employment which is worth something to me.

Chris
March 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Getting rich is rarely worth the price paid on the job.

gragravar
March 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
Count me on the unemployed portion of this. got laid off at then end of Jan. Still looking, have a couple good leads - hopefully will turn into a job soon.

JeepersCreepers
March 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Well everyone keep their fingers crossed that the post office does NOT go to 5 day work weeks, because then I will be considered unemployed.

greenramp
March 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Selfemployed for the moment but we'll see where the economy takes the business.

Funrover
March 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM

I am in that boat.... I had more hours this month than the previous 2 together... All 16 hours for a month :mad:

solid rock
March 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
2 jobs.....sort of

gm4x4lover
March 2nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I thank god every day for my job. About a year ago i had a great offer, and i took it. I worked an extra month so my boss could find someone to replace me. And at the last min i didn't feel like it was the right choice so i stayed with my employer. The company i was going to go with has layed off several employees and managers in the dept i was going to and cut back every body's pay. My boss gave me a raise after i stayed. So it has worked very well for me.

Roostercruiser
March 3rd, 2009, 12:27 AM
im lucky to be with a company who continues to grow dispite the economy and is about to begin our busy season.

WINKY
March 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
i as well. ive been a product of recession and it is no fun. took 3 years to get back into a fulltime position. We as well are doing some fat trimming but due to the mobility and landline merge (att) there were mahy duplicate positions mainly in sales that were cleaned up. I am thankful to have my career as well.

Warrlord
March 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
My wife lost her job in December as that mortgage company closed its doors. She just got a temp job doing the same work, hopefully it lasts her a while. I work on commission & all last year wasn't too good & as the business declined, my annual salary was considerably less than years before. With General Motors' financial problems, (self inflicted problems) getting certain parts is sometimes difficult, alot of parts are on what we call, "intergalactic backorder". That doesn't help make the customer happy when their newer vehicle need a warranty repair & it takes 3 weeks just to get the part needed.

We've cut back on certain things to help but it's disappointing having to go backwards now. I had to get rid of my motorcycle so we wouldn't have that payment, that takes a big part of our summer fun away but I'll make up for it with more wheeling hopefully as long as gas doesn't hit $4.00+ a gal again this summer.

I'm gonna keep my chin up, no point in being pissed off all the time, that doesn't do any good for me & my family.

Brody
March 3rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
I am keeping my chin up, too, (and that is a really good attitude, BTW), but it still doesn't keep me from getting angry at what this once great nation has managed to do to itself...and is still doing to itself...we are going to be like Great Britian soon, where over 1/2 of the population is on the dole. At least they have socialized medicine so no one has to tweak about trying to afford health insurance. Of course they also have clinics that support herion addicts, so that says something about their country, doesn't it?

Sorry to hear about you having to get rid of the bike...I sold some nice guns last year that I would've like to have kept just before I landed a new job. That job looked good until Christmas this year when their Denver office closed up shop...Good job, good benefits...the works...now I am scrambling again.

At least the Front Range site is doing better than the national economy...

Chris
March 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
I'm gonna keep my chin up, no point in being pissed off all the time, that doesn't do any good for me & my family.

:thunb:

KnuckleHead
March 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Count me in on the I may as well be unemployed. I've only worked 14 hrs in the last 2 months. On top of that the old lady got laid off as well. Things are so tight on this end it's hard not to just sit back and laugh. On top of that the Ranger ate another motor and is no longer around. I took everything off of it and had it crushed for some money. I've already sold the tires, highlift jack, euro head lights and hitch. Nothing like selling your hard earned money for nothing in return, at least the rent is paid for another month.

Brody
March 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Real sorry to hear that Happy. If I was busy, I would put most of the unemployed folks on the site to work, but I am not and am myself unemployed. At least you are young and don't have to deal with businesses turning you down because you are old and they don't think you can cope with the work load...

Funrover
March 19th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Keep fingers crossed..... I had an interview today and it went very well!

Pathrat
March 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Happy, so sorry to hear that about you two...suck! I hope you find something really soon.

Funrover, good luck!

So far, Hugh has had one interview and two phone interviews.

scout man
August 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I would now like to change my vote to unemployed. The @ssh@les Josh and I used to work for finally decided to finish pushing me out the door today.

WINKY
August 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
i know of 3 mobile switching tech positions opening up in billings montana. within 90 days.

Funrover
August 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Sorry to hear that man!

Patrolman
August 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Sorry that you got the axe... When you post "Unemployed", you should also post your job descrip, title, or maybe even resume. I network a LOT and am always running across opportunities. Just haven't landed one myself yet.

Good news is 6 of about 30 people I see at a weekly networking got jobs in 1 WEEK! Things are coming around! I am in the final 4 or 5 candidates for 2 different positions. Should know in 2-3 weeks! Keep your fingers crossed!

gragravar
August 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Bummer. like Patrolman said, do let us know what you are looking for.

Roostercruiser
August 7th, 2009, 11:50 PM
i tried but failed on trying to get scoutman a job where i work. i still feel bad.

4Runninfun
August 8th, 2009, 05:16 AM
good luck jeff i know its been a while for ya! hey btw if you happen accross any insurance adjuster/ investigation jobs lemme know i've been looking without much luck.

Patrolman
August 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM
good luck jeff i know its been a while for ya! hey btw if you happen accross any insurance adjuster/ investigation jobs lemme know i've been looking without much luck.

For auto insurance?

scout man
August 8th, 2009, 11:00 AM
No need to feel bad Roland, that is just one of many trucking companies that have turned me down so far.

My training is as an audio engineer, such as, a sound guy for concerts and such, but I also have my CDL A, so I am probably much more marketable as a semi driver. I have some background in maintenance and rehab work, but its been years since then. I would love anything other than a desk job really. Any trucking, construction type stuff (although I am not really qualified for true construction work) or really anything hands on that isnt looking for tons of experience. My problem is there is a ton of stuff I can do, but I dont really have enough experience in any of it for people to hire me. So I need a job that is willing to do a bit of training, but I am a very fast learner and have already dabbled in most stuff anyways. I need something that pays at least around $14 an hour though to make ends meet, but obviously any income is good until I find the right job. Thanks for keeping your ears open for me!

4Runninfun
August 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM
For auto insurance?

looking more towards property either residential or commercial fire, flood, etc. but i'd put my foot in the door where i could.

Patrolman
August 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Man, oh, man... With all the storm damage I would think there should be a demand for those positions. I don't have any contacts there unfortunately. Will keep my ears to the ground though.

looking more towards property either residential or commercial fire, flood, etc. but i'd put my foot in the door where i could.

Chris
August 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Those positions are filled by traveling catastrophe teams as a rule. Work-comp investigators are more heavily in demand from when I looked into it years ago.

4Runninfun
August 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Man, oh, man... With all the storm damage I would think there should be a demand for those positions. I don't have any contacts there unfortunately. Will keep my ears to the ground though.

billsbar
August 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Chris
August 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
That's pretty typical of what I've heard from many business owners. What kind of work is this? What kind of starting pay? I'm not looking for detailed specifics or a job myself but am interested in what kind of business is having trouble finding good employees in this market of such high unemployment.

scout man
August 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Post removed per request...

Andrew
August 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
So what exactly do you do?

Yeah what do you do/what are you looking for people for? I may know some who are interested.

billsbar
August 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Pathrat
August 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Gatemonkey can be taken off the rolls of the FR4x4 unemployed members

Patrolman
August 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Gatemonkey can be taken off the rolls of the FR4x4 unemployed members

Congrats! Where is he working and what is he doing? Does this mean additional FJ mods now? ;)

Pathrat
August 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks Jeff! He is working for ITS, a firm that provides employed services to the higher end earning unemployed. The whole resume, networking, etc package where all the user has to do is show up for the interviews.

House mods that we have put off. We are so sick of cleaning carpet fibers out of the vacuum from the cheap as crap carpet the previous owners thought would be an upgrade.

yes, I do want an FJ mod!!!! I want a rear bumper!

colomil
August 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Put me in the "unemployed" column... by choice. I will take a few weeks off and try to get back in the saddle (mechanical/software engineering).

ShutUpHippie
August 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I know the market will pick up soon, but I wonder...
how many resumes it will take for me to get an interview!! AHHHHH!

Good thing I went and got this college education! :rolleyes:

Patrolman
August 18th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I think the "average" is 100-200 applicants for a job. If you are not as qualified, your odds aren't as good, so figure it will take 1,000 resumes/applications to get a job. That is why networking your way in becomes so much more efficient and almost a necessity.

colomil
August 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I think finding a job is simple. Finding the RIGHT job is much tougher. I am trying to get into a specific sector of mechanical/controls engineering (and stay in Colorado) so I better have some patience.
I would also love to do some design for off-road trucks using AutoCAD or Pro-E. I would take a pay cut to do that kind of work!

ShutUpHippie
August 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
The problem I'm having is "3+ years experience" and etc.

How do I get experience if nobody will give me any?! haha :help:

4Runninfun
August 20th, 2009, 04:34 AM

oldest catch 22 in the book. ;)

colomil
August 20th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I had the same problem getting a job after college as I had little experience other than the military. I did do an internship while in school and that really helped. Companies are tight right now so the only way to get a foot in the door is to work as an intern/volunteer.

Another problem I am having is outdated experience. I am trying to get back into a career field I last worked in back in 2000. Not much of my current experience counts.

Medic-5150
August 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM
While I was out in California they claimed a 15% state wide unemployment rate.(on the news) I talked with a bunch of residents and they all said the number is more like 20-25%. That state is so F'ed up and broke that they might get I.O.U.'s for their state tax refunds...

That's the main reason I moved here from CA. That state is so fed up. It was like moving to another country when I got to Colorado. The economy may be bad here but it's 1000% better than it was in CA.

Roostercruiser
August 20th, 2009, 10:01 AM

same thing in the the trucking world. they say at least 1-2 OTR experience. or at least 25 yrs old . it was ruff finding a job when i was 21 and new CDL. i felt the same way.

BTW whats your major Rob?

Medic-5150
August 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I had the same thing with my EMT license. Everyone wanted minimum of 2-3 years experience. There were no volunteer openings unless you had experience....It was a dead end.

Roostercruiser
August 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Sarah is looking for a job also.

ShutUpHippie
August 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM
same thing in the the trucking world. they say at least 1-2 OTR experience. or at least 25 yrs old . it was ruff finding a job when i was 21 and new CDL. i felt the same way.

BTW whats your major Rob?

Business Administration
Emphasis in Professional Land and Resource Management (PLRM)
Minor in Music

The PLRM was mostly training based around becoming a land man/broker/etc for an energy company. We took water law, business law, environmental policy, geology.. plus the 20 business classes that teach you how to run your own business. I've been applying a lot of different places from the BLM to Lowes, and so far nothing. I just applied to a ski resort in the Gunnison Valley: Crested Butte Mountain Resort. I really want to be back in the hills again so hopefully something works out.

I'm tired of being broke/bored/useless! eeek :(

white collar redneck dad
August 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Business Administration
Minor in Music

The PLRM was mostly training based around becoming a land man/broker/etc for an energy company. We took water law, business law, environmental policy, geology.. plus the 20 business classes that teach you how to run your own business. I've been applying a lot of different places from the BLM to Lowes, and so far nothing. I just applied to a ski resort in the Gunnison Valley: Crested Butte Mountain Resort. I really want to be back in the hills again so hopefully something works out.

I have a 19 year career in finance..use to be vp of finance..its been challenging new contracts since november.

Patrolman
August 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Business Administration
Minor in Music

The problem was the minor in music. ;) Offsets your Biz Admin.

Pathrat
August 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM
That's the main reason I moved here from CA. That state is so fed up. It was like moving to another country when I got to Colorado. The economy may be bad here but it's 1000% better than it was in CA.

Where in CA?

Rob
August 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
oldest catch 22 in the book. ;)

The other Catch-22 is the one my wife's facing: too old and too much experience. She was laid off in February and it's the first time since she was 17 that she hasn't had a job. Higher-paid people are big targets for companies that want to cut payroll quickly, and it's usually harder for a woman in her late 50s to find work in a recession. It's even harder when you're an editor and the magazine/newspaper business is tanking worse than other sectors of the economy.

Pathrat
August 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
My son finally got something that will at least give him something to put on an application: holding an advertising sign for the local Italian restaurant. Cash and a free meal. Not bad for a teenager right now.

Pathrat
August 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM
It's even harder when you're an editor and the magazine/newspaper business is tanking worse than other sectors of the economy.

Sorry to hear about that.

And I will never play Scrabble with either your or your wife, unless it is me and Brody against you two with the Southern Scrabble Rules.

Patrolman
August 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
My offer still stands to ANYONE on FR4x4. Join my LinkedIn group. If you aren't on there, you NEED to be. I attended a networking event today where I was the only unemployed person in the room. They surveyed the hiring managers and HR folks. The consensus was that they wouldn't hire someone who wasn't on LinkedIn, even if they were 100% qualified. The HR folks also said they spend 80% of their time looking over LinkedIn for candidates.

Other thing I am happy to do is to introduce people to my networking events. They are open to any professional seeking employment. Most of them are not industry specific. The ones I am in that are industry specific are for transportation and supply chain management. Again, I am here to help, so DON'T HESITATE TO ASK! :)

ShutUpHippie
September 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM
I am temporarily employed! yee-haw!! The even better news is that it has a very good possibility of leading to a permanent position.

Not sure how to change my vote.. but it's good news none-the-less. :thunb:

WINKY
September 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM
congrats man!!!!

Patrolman
September 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM
Congrats! Where at and doing what?

Even 11
September 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
I'm employed but my GF has been out of work since December!

-Dane

colomil
September 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Interview tomorrow.. Wish me luck!

1freaky1
September 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
Interview tomorrow.. Wish me luck!

Best of Luck!!!:thunb:

Chris
September 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
Good luck!

Tee Hee
September 4th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm employed for now but my company is planning on cutting 8000 jobs at the end of the month, and its a coil flip I'll be among those being cut. Scary prospect when you have 3 kids to support and the job market is as week as it is.

Rob
September 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
And I will never play Scrabble with either your or your wife, unless it is me and Brody against you two with the Southern Scrabble Rules.

Not familiar with Southern Scrabble rules, even though I'm kind of a Southerner.

DKDunn04
September 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Even if I wanted to quit, the Army wont let me.

colomil
September 9th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Interview went well, that is to say I didn't put my foot in my mouth. The commute will suck, but I will get to work from home after some initial office time. I will know by friday if I got it...

The upside to being out of work is that I have more :wrench: time!

white collar redneck dad
September 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Interview went well, that is to say I didn't put my foot in my mouth. The commute will suck, but I will get to work from home after some initial office time. I will know by friday if I got it...

The upside to being out of work is that I have more :wrench: time!

Where is your commute to and from? Hope u get the job?

colomil
September 9th, 2009, 12:14 AM
It is about 70 miles from calhan to I-25 & colorado blvd in denver. If I had to make that trip 5 days a week for months on end I would get road rage and choke somebody!

white collar redneck dad
September 9th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Where is calhan?

It is about 70 miles from calhan to I-25 & colorado blvd in denver. If I had to make that trip 5 days a week for months on end I would get road rage and choke somebody!

colomil
September 9th, 2009, 12:20 AM
It is between Limon and Colorado Springs. Middle of nowhere.

white collar redneck dad
September 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Wow!! That is a commute!! I used to commute from thornton to silverthorne ... Close to frisco. 90 min commute.

It is between Limon and Colorado Springs. Middle of nowhere.

colomil
September 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I got the job, so I can start blowing money on my trucks again :D

Funrover
September 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Congrats man

greenramp
September 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
My offer still stands to ANYONE on FR4x4. Join my LinkedIn group. :)

Whats your group?