PDA

View Full Version : Jokes on me

Brody
March 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
So tunnel vision claimed another victim ....me.

I end up on a lot of construction sites and pick up more than my fair share of nails and screws. As a result, I have become damn fast with plugging the tire on the truck after finding the leak.

For the last 6-8 weeks, I have had a slow leak in one of my tires. About every 4 days it needs to be aired up. Well I started looking for the leak....and looking....and looking...couldn't find it no matter what I tried. On the Duck Creek run, my tire was down to zero pounds and the only thing holding it on was the Staun beadlock. I aired it up on the trail and figured that since I had aired up the tire the night before I had left, that it probably spat out the nail, screw or wire that was causing the leak. I had to air back up as I got into town, too, because it was that flat again.

The next morning, it was about as flat as it could get, running on the Staun again. All right, I says, I am gonna find the leak. I used windex. I used soapy water. I finally ended up taking the tire off and putting it up on some saw horses so that I could check the sidewalls. ( the tire weighs about 170 ++lbs, so it takes a lot of PO to get me to do this)

Still no leak. I put the tire back on, drive to the local auto parts and get some Fix A Flat. I stuff this in the tire and call it good. The next morning the tire is flat...again. WTF???I take the tire off again and do the windex routine....liberally...I managed to inadvertently spill some on my metal, held in with an O ring and lock nut, valve stems....Yep...bubbles and more bubbles...on top of bubbles.

Fixed with a 1/2" wrench and about 2 full turns...in less than a minute...Talk about tunnel vision...I was SO SURE I had a nail or screw in the tire, I didn't look at the most simple thing..

Laughing now....

SCRubicon
March 1st, 2009, 05:55 PM
About half way through I was thinking, "valve stem." Glad you figured it out before it drove you too crazy ;)

WINKY
March 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
i was about to suggest that... :P but you found it before me...

Brody
March 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM
So it was funny....anytime I have ever destroyed a valve stem, I really have blown air out and have known it right away. I always carry spares, rubber and steel, too...It was just....TUNNEL VISION! What can I say...You guys should've been there and, when you had laughed enough, suggested the valve stem....These wheels have lasted almost 2 years, which is record for me, and I had the same set up on the ones that I ran before that...not a bit of trouble...In that time I have probably plugged about 18 holes in the tires.....

Roostercruiser
March 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
ive done the same with brake lights. followed the wiring, the groundds and even replaced the brake light switch on the pedal. i forgot to chek the first bulb first. all that for bad bulb. i think everyone has had tunnel vision.

scout man
March 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM
ive done the same with brake lights. followed the wiring, the groundds and even replaced the brake light switch on the pedal. i forgot to chek the first bulb first. all that for bad bulb. i think everyone has had tunnel vision.

wow, you win, thats just impressive!

Brody
March 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Why it's nice to have a friend around when you are wrenching or fabbing something...they are the ones that go "Hey, dummy, why don't you do it the easy way?" (Check the valve stem...check the light bulb...)And it is a two way street...always good to have another set of eyeballs on something...stuff like this happens when you don't...