PDA

View Full Version : What type trails?

1freaky1
March 2nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
Just looking thru a few of the pics and was wondering what types of trails or things on the trails (to do) does everyone prefer ie; rocks (mild to extreme), water crossings, scenic, camping?

Roostercruiser
March 2nd, 2009, 02:53 AM
the trails i do is dependant on the truck im in and who im with. nothing to extreme . now when i whee el i usaully have small children with me so i do trails i know i wont get stuck to bad because alot of the time we are in one truk. old faverites are yankee hill and other trails around idaho springs area , we really like old mining trails and exploring old mining ghost towns

Brody
March 2nd, 2009, 04:54 AM
Since we are here in Colorado, it is pretty easy to get everything you mentioned in one trail, including the mild to extreme rock, with the extreme having a bypass. There are so many just classic trail out there...views, trees, valleys, rocks, water crossings, that is is hard to say. I like trails like Wheeler Lake where it is hard, but not too hard, rock obstacles, high alpine valley leading above treeline to an alpine lake.

Charles Wells books and traildamage.com both do a good job of catagorizing trails by what you find on them, so I look at this , too. And since you can pretty much camp anywhere in the national forest 200' off of the road, well, camping is where you find it...

Actually kind of hard to answer your question. I would go back through the 'trail run reports' and look at a bunch of the posted pictures. You will see that we run just about everything...and have fun doing it, too!

Chris
March 2nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
Personally my preference leans towards scenic with whatever happens to be involved. Moderate rated though I've been known to do others, depends on the moment, mood and company.

WINKY
March 2nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
For me, anything i can get my truck through or over, long trails or combination of trails, a bit of hiking and exploring. Pretty much take it to the limit for my truck. i just like being out of the city and back in nature enjoying what is here.

1freaky1
March 2nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
I too like most of the trails I have been on so far with my truck, I like to do the ones with water crossings and old mining and ghost town areas, I have been known a little for getting a bit hard on the ranger once in awhile although I try not to very often. I get teased a lot by a few of the people I wheel with for getting it air born on occasion and hitting the rocks a lil hard. I alsoo have to look at who is riding w/ me like my dad cause of his diabetes and all but he usually handles it all pretty good, now my wife on the other hand will walk a trail if it looks too scary to her. A couple of my favorite places so far has been Chinn's Lake area and Waldorf mining, Bill Moore, & Jenny Creek. I am putting together a list of trails I want to hit this year that I have not done yet. I am planning a week long trip down around Gunnison to Telluride in June.

Brody
March 2nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
If you are putting together a list of trails that you want to do, try posting them with a date in the trail runs section. I am trying to get a bunch of runs and trails posted up to get the calendar filed up so that people can plan 4x4 trips around this.

One on the most fun runs we did in the last couple of years was a night run of Jenny Creek with the Pinzgauer club. That was a blast and we both want to do that again.

1freaky1
March 2nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Ok I can do that as soon as I have the dates set for certain.

Funrover
March 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I like Challenging, scenic.... Well I like it all actually I am just not a buggy so i can only do so much.

If it is open in June I recommend Black Bear Pass, it is a fun trail (not hard at all) and then return from Telluride back to Ouray over Imogene and walk around the Tom Boy Nine.

Chris
March 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
My experience says June will still be snowed in, I've been turned back by snow in Ouray in mid-July. Not a drift here and there but 3+ feet waiting for the giant snowblower.

WINKY
March 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
I also have no problem going to a extreme section to watch buggies crawl :)

Pathrat
March 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
I like desert and slickrock, i.e. Utah. Here in Colorado I like scenic below tree line. Waldorf was neat to go check out but I do enjoy my oxygen. Bill Moore is one I do enjoy around here.

Recession and unemployement be damned, we are packing up the family and going to the Grand Canyon this summer, and this trip will include back roads and trails in AZ and south central Utah. My teenagers are just so exited at the prospect.

1freaky1
March 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Currently I am in the process of trying to get my 1957 F100 finished and back on the road by the first part of June and hitting it everyday to make my deadline, but I also need a break from time to time and will try to set up a few dates between now and then to do some wheeling.
Here is a link to view what I am doing to the truck if any of you would like to see my other project.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Seans_World

Funrover
March 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Currently I am in the process of trying to get my 1957 F100 finished and back on the road by the first part of June and hitting it everyday to make my deadline, but I also need a break from time to time and will try to set up a few dates between now and then to do some wheeling.
Here is a link to view what I am doing to the truck if any of you would like to see my other project.

:thunb::thunb: Sweet rig, I bet you can't wait for that to be done so you can go cruise!

Brody
March 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for posting the link!

Pathrat
March 4th, 2009, 10:27 PM

wow! :thunb:

1freaky1
March 5th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks everyone, yeah I am anxious to drive her again after its been parked for the last 12 years.

Funrover
March 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks everyone, yeah I am anxious to drive her again after its been parked for the last 12 years.

Wow.... I freaked out when my 65 Dodge was parked for 2 years.... :eek:

Roostercruiser
March 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Wow.... I freaked out when my 65 Dodge was parked for 2 years.... :eek:

my 54 sat for almost 12 years the last couple of years it try to drive it. i would make it a mile then be towed back because of gunk in the tank.

1freaky1
March 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Yeah it was a long time to sit but had too many other projects going and now they are gone or done I can finally finish her. I made sure when it got parked and was starting to customise it that the fuel was drained and tank sealed but I am looking for a different tank to place in the rear of the frame.

Brody
March 6th, 2009, 06:52 AM
That is going to be awesome to see on the trail! I read an article where a guy took something like a 46 Ford pick up and stuck it on a Toyota frame. I think he ended up hand forming the rear fenders as he couldn't find any. What a sweet looking ride! Just the classic body lines are cool...It actually ended up being way to pretty to wheel with (I wouldn't have), but this guy gets out in the rocks, mud and everything else with it..

Love those older pick ups...